beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Apr 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #661 of 1,963
Good call. Anything out there that's better? (And preferably doesn't cost more than another set of cans? 
size]
 )

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #662 of 1,963
Quote:
I've never heard the HD800, so I can't comment on that. Tyll seems to be quite consistent in loving headphones that are a bit dark for my taste (HD600/650, Momentum, M-80 etc.) but also liked the K550 -- which is more my taste (as is the T5p). I would not discredit his opinion on that account, I think a lot simply comes down to different preferences. Can't recall him calling a headphone bad due to not matching his sonic preferences...

Unrelated to that: I recently took the T5p with me on vacation but forgot the camera/USB adapter to connect my Leckerton to the iPad. Out of necessity I used connected them directly and was pleasantly surprised that they were quite usable in that configuration... Nice :)

T5p may be 32ohm & hence supposedly suitable for portable devices. But I tested this with my iPhone and it sounds unpleasantly bright. Beyer Tesla Series needs amplification to sound at its best. The great thing is you don't need exotic, super expensive gear for it to sing. Also, maybe Apple needs to upgrade their DAC/amp in their iPhone. I heard Samsung Galaxy sounds much better with high end headphones.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #663 of 1,963
I did not find them unpleasant in any way, at least when used with my iPad (did not try the iPhone)... yes, they are capable of more when connected to either the Leckerton or the Lake People amp, but still very enjoyable without. And I'm not talking about just enough volume (which they do provide).

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #664 of 1,963
Quote:

T5p may be 32ohm & hence supposedly suitable for portable devices. But I tested this with my iPhone and it sounds unpleasantly bright. Beyer Tesla Series needs amplification to sound at its best. The great thing is you don't need exotic, super expensive gear for it to sing. Also, maybe Apple needs to upgrade their DAC/amp in their iPhone. I heard Samsung Galaxy sounds much better with high end headphones.

very true, from my experience.  you either get low-fi sound, mid-fi sound and hi-fi sound from t5p.  sometimes, i think either low-fi sound or hi-fi sound.  a simple pmp would sound about the same as a ipod with line out to a portable amp.  and if you never heard of hi-end with t5p, try it.  you'll be surprised.  i truly love my t5p with rp010b.  although, not so much with wa5.  maybe t5p don't like tubes?  now i'm waiting gsx mk2. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #665 of 1,963
Oh, wish you could hear mine with my tube amp, really beautiful. I think because these are such an open window in terms of showing clearly what they are being fed it makes them susceptible to being criminals simply for showing up the failings of what they are being fed.

So often they are said to be bright or lack bass when in fact I feel it is not them but in fact what they are being fed that is lacking.

I have yet to hear music that is compressed (320k and below) sound anything other than bright on equipment of high enough quality or clarity to be capable of showing that.

I always find it amazing that someone is prepared to shell out so much money and yet compromise on the most important thing, the quality of the music file!

Go anywhere outside of this forum, read or speak to long term HiFi reviewers or mastering engineers and they will all tell you that anything less than lossless is simply not good enough when you have truly great equipment.

But around here so often I see equipment lambasted when in fact the person is listening to sub standard music files or has not taken care in system matching.

Yes, these are designed to work right out of a player but unlike other headphones that are designed to cover up the lack of dynamic range that is lost with poor source or compressed files these are not, they rise with what they are being fed I find!

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #666 of 1,963
I hear you ianmedium! I think there is nothing out there to top the T5p for it does ... yet. But I think many people will be disappointed with the T5p, getting something they didn't expect. I know the T5p is a headphone that I'll use for a few years yet, hopefully add something quite different but complimentary to it in the future. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #667 of 1,963
Mine breached the 200 hour mark yesterday and these certainly, more than any other headphone I have listened to really do warrant a decent amount of burn in (well, the HD800 as well I have found) Everything opens up nicely. Last night I was listening to a 24/96 version of Tea For The Tillerman and the micro detail these headphones are able to retrieve and yet retain a musical whole is breathtaking.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #668 of 1,963
200, hooray! I don't know where my T5p are going but I figure I over calculated before, I'm around just over 3 months. It's all good, I liked them from the moment I first heard them. While all my weekday listening is on T5p/HP-P1, weekends it's on valves with more than a decade old HD600, many thousands of dollars more expensive system, which I still appreciate.

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #669 of 1,963
I use the Analog Squared Paper class A SET amp, you should hear these out of a single ended triode amp, oh boy, the amp really shines a light on how capable these headphones are at showing delicacy and detail.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #670 of 1,963
If they came out with a headphone precisely the same in all respects as the T5p with a slightly less shelved bass, I would have something I could live with essentially without serious qualms. I think there are other things they can do ergonomically (detachable cable, better case, etc etc), but as far as the sound is concerned, I find these damn near faultless-- beyond the under-represented bass. 

Honestly, I've had to rethink how I read and interpret reviews because of these. Had I kept reading (as I usually do) and not just hopped on when I saw a reasonable deal, I would never have purchased these, as they have been pretty badly slagged by people I respect (most notably Tyll of InnerFidelity). While I can understand why these wouldn't be immediately impressive, I don't understand how anyone could fail to be impressed on further listening. I just think they're incredible, personally. 

Btw, @AJHeadfi, I find it interesting that your other heavily-used setup has an HD600, as I have a 650 and just don't find it a good match for my tastes. I've heard the 600 is a bit more neutral (and less veiled, which although I know people hate to discuss it, I most definitely hear and object to in the 650), so maybe that would be something to check out. 

That brings up another question for the group, I suppose: is the T5p in your primary setup, and if not, what is? 

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #671 of 1,963
I used to think Tyll knew a great deal but of late I have been finding myself not agreeing with a great many of his reviews. I think it pays to take a broad range of views and especially I find that has been most helpful to me is to look outside this forum and the community into HiFi magazines and forums that deal with not just only headphones for information as well.

The only way I could see Tyll's opinions of these being valid is if he had a bad pair. If he had a good pair then I think that speaks more of his hearing preferences and lack of being able to be objective than it does any shortcomings these may have and as far as I can see they seem to have precious few to me and I have had a few higher end cans now.

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #672 of 1,963
Quote:
I used to think Tyll knew a great deal but of late I have been finding myself not agreeing with a great many of his reviews. I think it pays to take a broad range of views and especially I find that has been most helpful to me is to look outside this forum and the community into HiFi magazines and forums that deal with not just only headphones for information as well.

The only way I could see Tyll's opinions of these being valid is if he had a bad pair. If he had a good pair then I think that speaks more of his hearing preferences and lack of being able to be objective than it does any shortcomings these may have and as far as I can see they seem to have precious few to me and I have had a few higher end cans now.

I totally agree with you here. For example, did you know the Beyer T1's appreciation thread is not in the Summit-Fi section on this site? Talk about an insult to beyer and the thousands of happy owners that consider it their most favorite headphone. The T5p is really nice and the only reason it gets the flack it has is that it is overpriced. The market isnt finding it worth the price. However, there is also alot of people here on Head-Fi as of late with thousands of posts, but they joined less than a year ago and never experience anything above Mid-Fi gear. Then there's the sheep that follow them and just chime in, but theyre just clueless as their leader.  Anyways, if you want diverse opinions here on head-fi, you can find it, but it takes patience lol.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #673 of 1,963
Honestly, I had decided to skip the T1 based on some of the reviews I'd read until I heard the T5p. Now I can't imagine not at least auditioning it as one of my long-term keeper cans. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #674 of 1,963
Quote:
Honestly, I had decided to skip the T1 based on some of the reviews I'd read until I heard the T5p. Now I can't imagine not at least auditioning it as one of my long-term keeper cans. 

Yeah and I've had both side by side for about 3 months, pound for pound, the T1 is wayyy better too.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #675 of 1,963
Its a choice I don't have to take. For open cans i love my Piano Forte's and for when I need more insulation the T5's do a very similar job to the PF's. I tried the T1's and loved the sound but them being open and 600ohm just ruled them out for me as i love the amp I have and it would not power the T1's

Frankly I am amazed that the T1 and T5P are not in the high end forum. I think your right, it is a slight on Beyer but then I guess they do not support the forum as much as the others do! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back