beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Mar 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #632 of 1,963
Thing is these are not bright, say in comparison the HD800 and he loves that one so I don't understand. Mind, I am listening out of an SET amp!
The Momentum though was very disappointing to my ears. It sounded like wooly beats by Dre!

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #633 of 1,963
I've never heard the HD800, so I can't comment on that. Tyll seems to be quite consistent in loving headphones that are a bit dark for my taste (HD600/650, Momentum, M-80 etc.) but also liked the K550 -- which is more my taste (as is the T5p). I would not discredit his opinion on that account, I think a lot simply comes down to different preferences. Can't recall him calling a headphone bad due to not matching his sonic preferences...

Unrelated to that: I recently took the T5p with me on vacation but forgot the camera/USB adapter to connect my Leckerton to the iPad. Out of necessity I used connected them directly and was pleasantly surprised that they were quite usable in that configuration... Nice :)

Mar 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #634 of 1,963
Quote:
Tyll does not like his headphones too bright -- nothing new here :wink:
Regarding the Momentum: they seem to sound quite different depending on whether worn on or around ear...

Tyll definitely belongs to people who prefers darker sounding headphones with more body and impact. He probably also likes LCD-2 and the HE-[X] and to me they are way too dark and I can not stand listening to them. But then again HD800 is very bright - so I can understand that ianmedium finds that strange. 
normal_smile .gif

I think that all of us are very influenced by what we are used to. I found the T5p a little bit too dark in the beginning but before that I was used to ER-4S and T70p. So if people forget to spend enough time getting used to some headphones they might never discover the true character and what a headphones can really do. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #635 of 1,963
This is Tyll hertsens exact quote on that thread

"The T5 is relentlessly bright ... unlistenable. You can polish that turd all you want with eq, but it's still gonna stink eventually."

The last thing I would say these are is bright! The top end is very clear and extended I find but not bright.

I always find Alison Krauss's vocals a real litmus test for good treble. Bad she is harsh and metallic, good treble she is breathy and full of texture, these phones definately fall into the latter category I feel and are certainly better on those terms than my old LCD's which were grainy in comparison in the treble region I found.

Mar 30, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #636 of 1,963
Quote:
This is Tyll hertsens exact quote on that thread

"The T5 is relentlessly bright ... unlistenable. You can polish that turd all you want with eq, but it's still gonna stink eventually."

The last thing I would say these are is bright! The top end is very clear and extended I find but not bright.

I do not consider them too bright either. Yes, they have a strong top end, but to my ears very detailed and nice to listen to. I can understand that it might be too much for someone preferring a darker signature, but I can't say they are in any way unpleasant or piercing (which I can't stand either).
Quote:
Tyll definitely belongs to people who prefers darker sounding headphones with more body and impact. He probably also likes LCD-2 and the HE-[X] and to me they are way too dark and I can not stand listening to them. But then again HD800 is very bright - so I can understand that ianmedium finds that strange. 
normal_smile%20.gif

I think that all of us are very influenced by what we are used to. I found the T5p a little bit too dark in the beginning but before that I was used to ER-4S and T70p. So if people forget to spend enough time getting used to some headphones they might never discover the true character and what a headphones can really do. 

Yes, he likes the LCD-2 as far as I know. The HD800 seems to be some kind of exception (as is the K550) and I see that as a bit strange also.

You're definitely right with your opinion on getting used to a sound signature (which, in my opinion, is a major part of what is often called burn-in). Sometimes the ones I had to spend some time with are the ones that stay with me the longest...

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #637 of 1,963
I used to have these a while ago, but i also found them fairly bright and a bit grainy, which didnt justify the price tag for me.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #638 of 1,963
What amp were you using?

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #639 of 1,963
Mar 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #640 of 1,963
Just wondered as I find no grain or harshness with my two amps or directly out of my HM-801.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #641 of 1,963
Quote:
Just wondered as I find no grain or harshness with my two amps or directly out of my HM-801.

I remember it wasnt much, but it was there when i compared it side by side with the T1.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #642 of 1,963
70 hours on my pair now and tonight I really noticed a change. Bass is a little deeper, highs are a little silkier but it is the soundstage that is really opening up. I think the best way to describe it is that they are "breathing" more. Everything felt it has gained more texture and emotion and it was already good out of the box.

Daniil Shafran's wonderful double CD of Bach has such emotion. I love the way Shafran interprets Bach, so melodic and gentle and these headphones really help one get "inside" the emotion of the performance I feel.

Here is a clip from youtube of Bach's most famous Cello piece which starts off CD1..

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDgqBJtRTFg[/VIDEO]

Am very tempted to get the 24/96 version as it is meant to be very good!

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #644 of 1,963
I have it plugged into my Analog Squared Paper SET tube amp, front end is the HiFiman HM-801 Wav or 24/96 files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back