beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Mar 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #616 of 1,963
Another round, this time in Norwegian and English using Google Translate (which still has room for improvement. My Norwegian is obviously quiet a few steps ahead of it. It may translate better from Norwegian to German).

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #617 of 1,963
Very late in the game. i just purchased a new pair of these today to replace my LCD's and so far so good, they are doing what I hoped they would. I will write a review once I get some hours on them!

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #618 of 1,963
Quote:
Very late in the game. i just purchased a new pair of these today to replace my LCD's and so far so good, they are doing what I hoped they would. I will write a review once I get some hours on them!

Please comment on their bass depth, and if a basshead would like them.  

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #619 of 1,963
Its a little early as they are not burned in yet. I have to admit I love bass but not the overblown exaggerated stuff that most folks here like, To them these would be bass light, to me with the little time I have listened to them I call it perfect bass. It goes deep enough without exaggeration and has oodles of detail and texture but more I do not want to say yet as these are right out of the box.

For info most of my music is classical, the whole spectrum of classical from Ancient polyphonic voices to Phillip Glass. I also love Bluegrass/Folk and what I call " old farts" rock and roll. Clapton, Moody Blues.. You get the picture!

I also like jazz. All of this is rendered authentically from what I have heard thus far.

Mar 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #620 of 1,963
Update, listening to a wide selection of music tonight. I cannot see how anyone with a reasonable expectation decent quality bass can say these are bass light. Just the right amount as far as I am concerned and more importantly a great deal of texture to the bass.

These seem to be great with a wide range of genres as well.. Well, all my favourites, Classical, female vocal, jazz and old fart rock!

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #621 of 1,963
Quote:
Update, listening to a wide selection of music tonight. I cannot see how anyone with a reasonable expectation decent quality bass can say these are bass light. Just the right amount as far as I am concerned and more importantly a great deal of texture to the bass.

These seem to be great with a wide range of genres as well.. Well, all my favourites, Classical, female vocal, jazz and old fart rock!

I would also say that the T5p is very independent of genres. It does everything very well but in the beginning when I first got them I couldn't stop listening to classical for a long period of time. They have that depth and clarity that spreads out the full orchestra range in front of you in a very engaging way. When it comes to bass I have never missed anything with the T5p but sometimes listening to electronic music the DT-1350 has that extra bass impact. The TZAR 350 can do a thing or two regarding resolution but they will never get even close to T5p in listening pleasure and the resolution in T5p is not far behind the TZAR. 

I am on holiday away from home this week and I miss T5p. I only brought DT-1350 and TZAR 350 with me but no matter which one I have been listening to for a while I always love going back to T5p. T5p opens up the music in a way none of the other can do. I think HD650 is the only headphone I have previously owned that gave the same amount of listening pleasure with all genres. The T5p is just better with more sources and amps too where the HD650 needed my home rig to sound great.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #622 of 1,963
What a wonderful evening of music this evening!

Ever since getting my piano forte's I have been looking for a full sized headphone that offered the same levels of musicality and total immersion into the music. The Piano Forte's do that so well. The are also kings at texture and palpable sense of the acoustic space the recording is made in. The dig deep into the mix and extract details most other headphones miss but they do it without sounding analytical. They have a warmth about them but at the same time tremendous speed and able to convey attack and transients so well. Frankly, they left my old LCD's for dust!

Though I only have around 22 hours on my T5P's so far after tonight I feel I am safe to say I have found the PF's musical equivalent in the terms I mention above. These are the most unclosed sounding closed headphones I have heard to date. Of course they do not come close to the feeling of out of the head as the PF's but then they swing that by having a deeper very high quality bass which kind of makes a different sense of out of the head space.

The great thing is I can go between the two and not feel I am missing out on anything as the musicality and involvement is so great your just not aware your listening to anything other than music!

Oh yes, they love single ended triode amps such as my ASP TU-05.. Match made in heaven! Add the 801 as a source playing 24/96 Alison Krauss or Dusty Springfield and you end up losing hours and hours lost in music.

Anyone have an idea of what the average burn in is on these?

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #623 of 1,963
Quote:
Anyone have an idea of what the average burn in is on these?

Some have reported it as long.

I had mine lying constantly on run in for a long time becuse I was doing other things. When I picked it up again, it seemed to have changed. See at least one of my recent (March 2013) posts in this thread for further details.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #624 of 1,963
I'm going with a "burn in" of around 5000 hours for complete settling, at this stage. I simply leave the T5p running on the HP-P1 24/7, which is easy. I don't like turning equipment off anyway.

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #625 of 1,963
5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #626 of 1,963
Quote:
5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

That's enough time to work off the cost. I doubt there will be any character change, so it's all minor. I was thinking it would not be nice to have a new unit replace a worked unit.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #627 of 1,963
Since 5000 hours is more than 200 days I strongly recommend everyone to enjoy their new T5p a little before they reach the 5000 hour mark 
beyersmile.png

I do not believe in that, sorry - no offense. A normal driver unit will not require more than 10-20 hours and everything should be softened and ready to play. Whether you can hear any difference is another story. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #629 of 1,963
I have found with most drivers on headphones I have owned that the burn is done with from anywhere between 30-100 hours. Mine now have just over thirty on them and they have opened up really well.

I will leave them playing on repeat for the long weekend and see if that makes any more changes but after that will stop the burn in as I feel after that it is more about my adjustment than the headphones!

I am so happy I got these. Last night I saw a comment on another ( truly awful and full of egotistical and very rude people btw) headphone forum whilst googling the T5P by none other than Tyll Hertsens about how bright and unlistenable these are! I must admit I tend to take most of his thoughts on headphones with large grains of salt but those comments are so far off what these sound like it makes me question anything he says now! Mind, this is the fellow who thinks the truly awful senn momentums are wonderful.. To my ears and those of a few of my other friends into HiFi they sound a thick and muddled mess!

I do wonder about some of these self proclaimed industry "experts"at times you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back