BeyerDynamic owners unite...
Mar 26, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #47 of 1,864
I'll chip in.

I love my 880's.
Listening to any Beethoven symphony, or intimate vocal music, they feel brilliant, relaxing and revitalising! Each song I play for the first time on these new phones, I love them even more for playing each one better than I've ever heard before.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #49 of 1,864
Well you know how I feel about the dt531s and original dt990s. Definately love the Beyer Luuuv. I didn't dig the dt880s though. To say it was excessively dry with the Corda HA-2 would be an understatement. I wouldn't call that neutral, I'd call it pseudo neutral.

Mar 26, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #51 of 1,864
I love my DT880s, you couldn't pry them out of my dead fingers.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #53 of 1,864
I've had the DT770 Pro, DT990 Pro and DT880, and have enjoyed them all.

The 770's have that awesome bass slam and those wonderful, extended highs (but kind of piercing for me with some music, so after a while they were not getting much use). Then a good friend of mine in Canada had a rough time a couple of years ago. He ended up losing his job and having to care for his elderly mom on a full time basis (she's suffering from Alzheimers). He even had to sell off a pretty decent 2 channel system to help make ends meet. We used to exchange a lot of emails about audio gear and such, and then one day the emails started to dry up. So I figured he could use a lift, and sent him the DT770's, just out of the blue. They work perfectly for him since he's lost some of his hearing in the upper registers and thus is not bothered at all by the (IMO) rather strident highs (with certain music).

I've given away my DT990's as well, but still get a chance to listen to them on occasion when I'm in Florida. These were the steal of the century. They only cost $30 because the guy I bought them from on Audiogon (for $75) was feeling guilty after discovering that the felt material that covers the drivers had started to decay from age, so he refunded $45 without even asking me first. I've since removed all of this decaying material and haven't bothered to replace it, but my guess is that it would make very little, if any, difference in terms of sonics. As compared to the DT770's, I much preferred the DT990's, although they too, were somewhat understated in the mids, or at least the high notes seemed to stand out in a very noticable way.

The DT880's are keepers, and I still maintain that they represent an excellent value at their price point. To my ears, the DT880's don't do much, if anything "wrong" as such. They might even be a tad too neutral, if you can buy that! I guess I've discovered that "pure neutrality" is not necessarily my cup of tea. To this extent, I'd consider the HP-2, DT880, and HD650 all to be neutral in the sense that no one particular aspect of their respective signatures jumps out at you when you first put them on. So as much as I enjoy the DT880's, they're not the first pair of headphones I'd grab unless I were up for a nice "easy listening" session at a relatively low volume. They're awfully comfy and work well when you are lying in bed at the end of the day.

Mar 26, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #54 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by xelloss12
I love my DT880s, you couldn't pry them out of my dead fingers.
biggrin.gif

Nah that's old school method. I'd do a little chop-chop and get a free dt880. =)

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #55 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
The dt880 were too bright for me.

Do you have a neutral to dark source? If they are too bright it may be because of the source.

-wally, Vice President, DT880 Chapter

Mar 26, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #56 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
I also hate the DT860 and DT880.Between the 2 of us,that is a pretty good collection of Beyerdynamics to lie about.

Well, actually, I also have the DT770Pro/250, the DT990Pro/250, the DT250/80, the DT880, the DT931 and the DTX20. Not too much urge to lie about these, though - 'cause I don't hate 'em as much as the DT531, DT250/250 and DT440.
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 26, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #57 of 1,864
A couple of people have asked the difference between the DT770-250 and 80, Apart from obvious difference, that the 80s would be easier to drive by portable players / amplifiers, I believe the 250ohm flavour to be more controlled, with the 80s to sound a little more ragged (that could be termed as fun!!)

These impressions are from the briefest (less than five minutes) comparisons, so take them with a pinch of salt, unless someone else confirms what I heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #58 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
A couple of people have asked the difference between the DT770-250 and 80, Apart from obvious difference, that the 80s would be easier to drive by portable players / amplifiers, I believe the 250ohm flavour to be more controlled, with the 80s to sound a little more ragged (that could be termed as fun!!)

These impressions are from the briefest (less than five minutes) comparisons, so take them with a pinch of salt, unless someone else confirms what I heard
smily_headphones1.gif

Having owned both, my experience is quite to the contrary. The 250 ohm version to me sounded more ragged, with more exaggerated bass and highs, and less refinement all around. To me the 80 retains the fun of the 250 while putting in it a more mature, even-keeled presentation. The bass is still a bit louder than most cans, but not bloated or boomy, and the mids aren't missing the way they can be on the 250's, but the high end screetchiness certainly is.

Mar 26, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #59 of 1,864
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Having owned both, my experience is quite to the contrary. The 250 ohm version to me sounded more ragged, with more exaggerated bass and highs, and less refinement all around. To me the 80 retains the fun of the 250 while putting in it a more mature, even-keeled presentation. The bass is still a bit louder than most cans, but not bloated or boomy, and the mids aren't missing the way they can be on the 250's, but the high end screetchiness certainly is.

Oops...

Ever get the feeling I got them the wrong way around??

Thanks for clarifying
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #60 of 1,864
I would like to express my true and undying love for the DT931, it is one of the best headphones I've heard. why did they ever discontinue it? They're giant killers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back