Beyer Dynamics Guys & SennHeiser...
Mar 20, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #31 of 70
Quote:

How loud were you listening? I feel that the DT-770 is a low-level listening type of phone. Because the bass and treble are so forward, there’s no need to really crank them up, IMO.

I would tend to agree that the "loudness" effect would kick in, esp. at lower volumes. That is probably a desired effect however, in the design??

Certainly however, I have no problem with the exaggerated treble. In fact, I think I *prefer* the brightness. Usually I keep the midrange knob on my Marantz at about 3 to 4 o'clock to make up for this however. Really helps with female vocals.

OTOH, as far as volume goes, I hover about 1 o'clock on my Marantz, which has got to be excessive...unfortunately at these volumes, I can bottom the drivers out way to easy. Then again, the distortion can sometimes add a different effect. There is nothing like *REAL* distortion in a mix, from the speakers, not an effects unit. Course you pay more for it, but hey, life is short.

Quote:

Oddly enough, too much bass through headphones seems to hurt my ears and teeth. I don’t have this painful sensation when using a subwoofer or bass shaker.

I'm kinda curious, I've never had any discomfort due to these headphones, niether the headband (which some say "burns the scalp"), nor the excessive bass. I've never had any issues with my hearing either, unless I was born deaf, haha.

Quote:

I like to brag about my gear:

That is how headphone bass should be felt and not heard. I am hoping to host Las Vegas’ first Head-Fi meet this summer and you guys are welcome to come and feel it for yourselves.

Nice setup! Unfortunately I live with my parents, so I'd be on the street before I ever turned on the amps, hah. I bet it looks hella cool too...pics plz!!
cool.gif

I'd love to get over there, no money tho. Hopefully I'll have a job this summer.

Mar 20, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #32 of 70
Heh, the comfort thing I thought would be a real issue with the SR-325s, seemed that everyone that wrote anything about them complained about their comfort issues. However, I haven't had any problems at all, what so ever, I guess I am just more concerned with the sound. Though one thing I can say for the Dt-770s, they look Ultra Comfortable, compared to most other phones ive checked into...

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by hybridamp
Heh, the comfort thing I thought would be a real issue with the SR-325s, seemed that everyone that wrote anything about them complained about their comfort issues. However, I haven't had any problems at all, what so ever, I guess I am just more concerned with the sound. Though one thing I can say for the Dt-770s, they look Ultra Comfortable, compared to most other phones ive checked into...

Email Jan Meier from www.meier-audio.de He should be able to get a pair of DT 770 - 80 ohm for you.

Also, I felt like I needed to list some rap tracks that really have bass output.

These are a few of my favorites:

-Daz Dillinger - My System (yes it's called My System for a reason...it's like an ode to bass. ~My system bumpin down the street. My system bumpin down the street. My system bumpin down the street with nothing but bass. Can you feel it, ya.... Lyrics. HEH.

-Hitman Sammy Sam - Intoxicated (Be warned: the intro you have to look past on...you'd think this was a weak song by the intro which is like 40 seconds long)

-Jermaine Dupri - Rules of the Game

-UGK - Let Me See It(Bend Over)

Also check out the intro to Outkast/Big Boi's CD - Speakerboxxx.

It's called Big Boi - Intro

Oh yeah...can't forget Bass Mekanik - Ultra Low Bass

EDIT: Can't forget this fun song: Usher feat. Ludacris and Lil Jon - Yeah

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

I already have 4 Bass Mekanik albums sitting in my collection, waiting on some nice cans; afterall, I do compete in SPL comps, have plenty of nice material laying around, sinesweeps, neutron bass bombs
smily_headphones1.gif

Its like ***** for bass heads

LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

148.9 dB holy crap, you are insane! lol

Mar 20, 2004 at 8:16 AM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

I already have 4 Bass Mekanik albums sitting in my collection, waiting on some nice cans; afterall, I do compete in SPL comps, have plenty of nice material laying around, sinesweeps, neutron bass bombs
smily_headphones1.gif

Its like ***** for bass heads

OK...so why didn't you say you compete in SPL comps in the first place?! Get those DT 770s! There are no other cans suitable for you.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

hehe, Indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I cant decide on the 80ohm Pro Versions, or the 250ohm Non-Pro Versions.

Are they Pro-Version really that uncomfortable with the added pressure?

Some people say that they are...but you can get around that by putting the cans on some fat books for a few days and stretching it out so to speak. I have the 250s...they're fine for me.

Mar 20, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 70
Don't forget that noone has really tested the 80 Ohm version against the 250 yet.
You'll be more safe with the 250 ... or you get the 80 and post your impressions
wink.gif

-Taurui

Mar 21, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #44 of 70
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

I don't see, technically though, how the 80ohm version would present different sonic signature. Or it has never been in the case in larger speakers, with my experience.

Well think about it this way. There must be some change in electronics for them to go from 250 ohm to 80 ohm.

Also consider this, many people say that the old DT 770 that was 600 ohm sound a lot worse than the 250 ohm version.

Besides, if you get the 250 ohm version I'd be inclined to say to get at least a PPA amp.
biggrin.gif
See...this way you'll be set *if* you ever need different cans(which I doubt if you're a true bass freak).

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #45 of 70
the 770 sure kicks out bass lilke a wounded bull ...
get it !
nuthin , I repeat nuthin' competes with these buggers as far as bass is concerned. You might just get the ringing and shaking head syndrome (RSHS) if you listen to them too loud

Users who are viewing this thread

Back