Beyer Dynamics Guys & SennHeiser...
Mar 19, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #16 of 70
Scratch the Senn 265 from your list. That headphone is an outdated design with lots of loose, boomy, muddy, uncontrolled bass and very little treble response to make up for such bloated low-end response.

Mar 19, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #17 of 70
If properly driven, I suggest the DT 770s. That is what I use coupled with my PPA. You said you wanted quantity and quality of bass. DT 770 definitely...especially if you plan on getting a PPA which would be a good idea now.

If you're a true bass freak, you won't need any other cans. I like mine for all kinds of music from rock to rap to classical.

I dunno...I have these bouts of music where I listen to rap for a while and then rock for a while. If I'm on a rap listening binge, I'll turn my 6 dB shelving filter on(read: bass boost). HEH. I'm nuts. My friend tells me that I have the single, most bassiest, set up on the planet.

Hmmm. Bass boost from AudioHQ + PPA bass boost + DT 770....
basshead.gif

(that was a joke; I don't plan on using the software bass boost).

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 70
LOL

Ok, well my Elpac power supply arrived early today, so I got to try the SR-325s out on the PIMETA Amp. WOW. These things are quiet a bit better properly driven on the independent amplifier, although, the bass response still seems minimal to me, though adequate. I think I may keep these cans just to use when I want to listen to "in your face" Rock, because they seem to excell in that genre, and it happens to be my favorite, however, RAP is my close 2nd favorite. (in fact, these are the ONLY two genres I even fool with)

For Rap/HipHop, I believe I will pick up a pair of DT-770s and see how they do, hopefully the bass will be insane enough to satisfy me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate all the comments on the DT-770s, Im convinced, I will let you know how it goes.

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by hybridamp
LOL

Ok, well my Elpac power supply arrived early today, so I got to try the SR-325s out on the PIMETA Amp. WOW. These things are quiet a bit better properly driven on the independent amplifier, although, the bass response still seems minimal to me, though adequate. I think I may keep these cans just to use when I want to listen to "in your face" Rock, because they seem to excell in that genre, and it happens to be my favorite, however, RAP is my close 2nd favorite. (in fact, these are the ONLY two genres I even fool with)

For Rap/HipHop, I believe I will pick up a pair of DT-770s and see how they do, hopefully the bass will be insane enough to satisfy me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate all the comments on the DT-770s, Im convinced, I will let you know how it goes.

You must now join Team BASShead, Team beyerdynamic)))), and Team Team I-will-not-spend-any-more-money-on-headphone-paraphernalia. You only get to join the last one if you're a true bassfreak.
biggrin.gif
...because if you are, there will be nothing else that you need(save for an amp upgrade if you don't plan on getting a PPA).

I believe my favorite genres are rap and rock. For rap, I have bass boost on at times, but believe me the bass is very powerful without the bass boost. I only have it on because my friend that built it, decided to put in a bass boost without telling me as a surprise. I don't forgive him for that because it's on more so than I like.
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

EDIT: One thing to note is that you may want to pick up the DT 770 non-pro because they have less clamping force at 2.8 newtons versus 3.5 newtons for the pro version. Other than that they are completely the same.

BTW, I highly suggest you order from Dr. Meier of www.meier-audio.de

He is the definitive source for Beyerdynamic. Beyerdynamic is bassed(pun intended) in Germany. I prefer to deal with someone that deals with them directly. Besides, you will not be able to find the DT 770 non/pro anywhere else.

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 70
Yes, listen to harkamus!!!

Quote:

You must now join Team BASShead, Team beyerdynamic)))), and Team Team I-will-not-spend-any-more-money-on-headphone-paraphernalia. You only get to join the last one if you're a true bassfreak. ...because if you are, there will be nothing else that you need(save for an amp upgrade if you don't plan on getting a DT 770).

Definetly. If you like bass, nothing else will please you. When I bought my Shure E3s, it really made me appreciate the 770s all that much more. I am returning the E3s and gonna spend the money on some dance vinyl and a decent turntable to play it through my Marantz.

Joining team BASSHead and Beyerdynamic)))) goes without saying
very_evil_smiley.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 19, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by JeffL
If you want both quality and quantity of bass, maybe it would be worth checking out the DT770 afterall. The DT880 is said to be more neutral, so I'm not sure if it has less bass or not.

I have compared the Beyerdynamic DT-770 with the Beyerdynamic DT-880 side-by-side. The Beyerdynamic DT-770 has tremendously much more bass. I thought that was what I wanted but after listing to it I now know that that much bass literally hurts.
The Beyerdynamic DT-880 is more refined and the price reflects it. The bass of the Beyerdynamic DT-880 is powerful and accurate like precision hammering of driving a five-penny nail into a stud. The bass of the Beyerdynamic DT-770 is extremely powerful like the Hulk getting a hold of Thor’s hammer and he wants to tear down skyscrapers. The strange thing is that with all of this mighty bass, the Beyerdynamic DT-770 still maintains controlled, accurate bass. But I warn you, it may not be the same pleasant experience that you get from a thumping subwoofer since it’s impact is directed at your ears.
280smile.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
The bass of the Beyerdynamic DT-770 is extremely powerful like the Hulk getting a hold of Thor’s hammer and he wants to tear down skyscrapers.

Mwhahah, excellent metaphor! I got my DT770 a week ago, and was supposed to write some sort of review/comparison (with the SR125), but am having too much fun watching movies and gaming with these
basshead.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #23 of 70
lol

The funny thing is that I would imagine hottyson's , rather graphic review of the Dt-770 would turn some people off, but now, I MUST HAVE THESE HEADPHONES!

Seriously, the more you guys talk about them, the more I look forward to recieving my pair. I should have found a good vendor by the night and hopefully receive them next week or shortly after. I can't wait.

And I wish I would have paid the extra cash to have a PPA built for me, instead of the PIMETA, but it seems to do a fantastic job so far, but I will plan to upgrade in the near future. Bass Boost would be a nice feature, though I do have an external Luxman Graphic EQ, with Parametic BASS EQ module (which has been my favorite feature of my 25yr old Luxman equipment), so it is pretty good at throwing up the bass where I want it. Although the SR-325s didn't know what to do with it, so it just made noise instead.

As for the teams, just tell me what I need to do, and I am there.
smily_headphones1.gif

*EDIT* Luukas: Did you find the Grado signature sound to be slightly void of bass response?

Also, I added a page on my site to display the gear I have, for quick reference:
http://wtfaudio.milesmedia.net/rocknu/headphones.htm

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

The funny thing is that I would imagine hottyson's , rather graphic review of the Dt-770 would turn some people off, but now, I MUST HAVE THESE HEADPHONES!
Seriously, the more you guys talk about them, the more I look forward to recieving my pair.

Okay, but remember that I warned you. In most real world situations low frequency is not supposed to pound your eardrums. It is supposed to be felt in your chest and body with a mild bit of audible sound waves going to your ears. The Beyerdynamic DT-770 was not a pleasant experience for me.
Quote:

And I wish I would have paid the extra cash to have a PPA built for me, instead of the PIMETA, but it seems to do a fantastic job so far, but I will plan to upgrade in the near future. Bass Boost would be a nice feature

I know exactly how you feel and what you mean. I hope to get a PPA when cash also allows.
Quote:

As for the teams, just tell me what I need to do, and I am there.

Please PM and I will give you the Paypal address to forward your $40 membership fees.
biggrin.gif

280smile.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Okay, but remember that I warned you. In most real world situations low frequency is not supposed to pound your eardrums. It is supposed to be felt in your chest and body with a mild bit of audible sound waves going to your ears. The Beyerdynamic DT-770 was not a pleasant experience for me.

Yes, and no, ultra-low bass is more felt than heard, of course, but without good extension you get what I refer to as "cheap headphone" syndrome, where it is just that...cheap sounding. Certainly these cans do a good job of allowing you to hear the bass though, but I will agree that if you are a TRUE basshead, you pair up a subwoofer with your cans.

BTW, there's nothing like a stack o woofers!

subwoofer_stack.jpg
This would be adequate, assuming they are rear ported. I'd stand behind them, not in front, for the impact. They might need to be rearranged due to phasing issues, but otherwise good.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

For that matter, if you get enough going through these things, they literally shake on your head, yes vibrate....
600smile.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 70
Quote:

And as for the bass, I want plenty of quantity, with plenty of quality. Is this 2 demanding to ask for headphones?

For years I thought that headphones couldn’t do bass like full-range speakers. I formed that opinion based on years of audiophile headphone listening. All the other phones I’d tried up to that point made me feel like I was missing something (read: the bottom octave). Then I heard the DT-770. It completely changed my conception of headphones. I no longer feel like I’m missing anything with the DT-770.

But in the interest of full disclosure, the DT-770 has a lot of treble as well as bass. And I mean a lot of treble. To my ears, the upper treble is as boosted as the bass. Check out this headroom graph of the DT-770 pro:
graphCompare.php

Many people describe the DT-770 as dark. It’s beyond me how anyone could use that adjective for the DT-770. The DT-770 may sound thick and bass heavy, but dark it ain’t.

In fact, the ridiculously extended treble is the major flaw of the DT-770 to my ears. I literally have to use EQ to tone down the high-end. Also note that the midrange takes a bit of a back seat because the bass and treble are so forward. I feel that the midrange is very clear and focused, but vocals probably won’t seem as ‘lush’ as on the SR-325.

I have also found that using a high-ohm headphone jack output cures some of this hollowness. I use the DT-770 with the NAD C320BEE integrated amp which has a headphone output of 220 ohms. The midrange gap seems nicely filled with the NAD. I’ve also used the DT-770 with lower-impedance output headphone amps and the midrange recession seemed worse.

Quote:

So while a DT770 may immediately please, do not be surprised if in a year you have to change to another set of headphones.

I went back to the DT-770 after trying the DT-880 and HD600. Neither one of the latter two phones pleased me in the long run because I felt that there was (again) something missing.
I also find the DT-770 surprisingly non-fatiguing. Sure, the DT-880 wins the lack of fatigue contest -- but the DT-770 comes pretty close, IMO.

Quote:

Originally posted by harkamus
You must now join Team BASShead, Team beyerdynamic)))), and Team Team I-will-not-spend-any-more-money-on-headphone-paraphernalia. You only get to join the last one if you're a true bassfreak.
biggrin.gif
...because if you are, there will be nothing else that you need . . .

I feel exactly the same way. I stopped shopping for new phones quite some time ago. My days of buying new phones are over. Well, maybe the DT-770 80-ohm version.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by hottyson
The Beyerdynamic DT-770 has tremendously much more bass. I thought that was what I wanted but after listing to it I now know that that much bass literally hurts.

How loud were you listening? I feel that the DT-770 is a low-level listening type of phone. Because the bass and treble are so forward, there’s no need to really crank them up, IMO.
basshead.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #28 of 70
Quote:

if you are a TRUE basshead, you pair up a subwoofer with your cans.
BTW, there's nothing like a stack o woofers!

I like to brag about my gear:

I use a Guitammer ButtKicker attached to my sofa for serious shaking. For ultra-serious bass, I also have a Peavey UDH subwoofer. It is a bandpass enclosure with four 15-in woofers in it. Its -3 dB point is 35 Hz. That may not sound too impressive compared to a subwoofer but its sensitivity is 106 dB. It still maintains a 96 dB sensitivity at 28 Hz. Max peak sound pressure is 140 dB. For headphone listening that would be major overkill and the neighborhood would probably execute me. So for headphone listening I just use 1500 watts powering a Guitammer ButtKicker/couch with a 12db/octave low pass crossover point of 150 Hz.

That is how headphone bass should be felt and not heard. I am hoping to host Las Vegas’ first Head-Fi meet this summer and you guys are welcome to come and feel it for yourselves.
280smile.gif

Mar 20, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #29 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
How loud were you listening? I feel that the DT-770 is a low-level listening type of phone. Because the bass and treble are so forward, there’s no need to really crank them up, IMO.
basshead.gif

I listen to all of my headphones at low volume. The Beyerdynamic DT-770 bass was overbearing to me when I had the volume at a moderate level. Oddly enough, too much bass through headphones seems to hurt my ears and teeth. I don’t have this painful sensation when using a subwoofer or bass shaker.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back