Best headphone amplifier for Sennheiser HD600?
Jan 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the X-Fi Extreme Music version, with the I/O drive bay thing. I have tested the difference between using the line-out on the X-Fi to one of my amps, vs. the optical/coaxial output to my Zero, then Zero out to one of my amps. The Zero wins big time!! The DAC goods on the X-Fi just aren't that good for music, but the X-Fi makes a good Optical/Coaxial out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't recommend modifying your X-Fi either. Once it is done, it is done and games will not necessarily benefit from it.

Nice to know.. How does the X-Fi -> analog out to headphones fare again X-Fi -> Digital out to Zero acting as both DAC and Amp -> headphones?

Jan 27, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to know.. How does the X-Fi -> analog out to headphones fare again X-Fi -> Digital out to Zero acting as both DAC and Amp -> headphones?

The Zero has it beat there too. The Zero has much better components than what is on the sound card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #33 of 42
Awesome. Well it looks like I've found my amp. With features like fairly high quality sound, DAC, Amp, Pre-amp, Coax/Optical/Analog input, all for such a great price is simply makes the Zero irresistable.

I thank everyone for their suggestions along the way you've all been a great help
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your price range, the best Sennheiser amp I've heard is the Gilmore Lite/Dynalo. Plenty of power for them, clean, neutral, and detailed. I prefer mine out of the Dynalo to all the other amps, save one. The best Sennheiser amp I've heard is the Zana Deux. More than what you want to spend, but it is transformative and makes Senns sound nearly electrostatic.

I just pulled the 600 off my head. And The G-Lite with it's dedicated Power supply supplied the amplification. A stunning combo for the price. I would re-cable the 600. It is supplied with a cable that is a reminder of Dental-floss.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #35 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the 600 off my head. And The G-Lite with it's dedicated Power supply supplied the amplification. A stunning combo for the price. I would re-cable the 600. It is supplied with a cable that is a reminder of Dental-floss.

I might just buy a G-lite later on and use Zero as preamp!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if it would do me any better than just using the Zero as both DAC and amp..

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvoice2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best headphone amplifier is darkvoice 332

I don't know whether its the best... or not... but... its great, for sure - especially with Senns!

Totally tranforms the HD650s... and sounds great with the HD580/600s - a bit better than my PF XCAN v3 was with them.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

I might just buy a G-lite later on and use Zero as preamp!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if it would do me any better than just using the Zero as both DAC and amp..

You can try rolling the opamps in the Zero first..

That should keep you entertained for awhile
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkvoice2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best headphone amplifier is darkvoice 332

I can do that too:

Best headphone amplifier is Ronco HP-1

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can do that too:

Best headphone amplifier is Ronco HP-1

Ron Popiel did headphone amps too?
biggrin.gif

Now there's a vision. Walk up to the Pond. Pull out your Pocket Fisherman, Pocket amp, cans and dap and layin on the bank wasting the day away.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by charley phogg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ron Popiel did headphone amps too?
biggrin.gif

Now there's a vision. Walk up to the Pond. Pull out your Pocket Fisherman, Pocket amp, cans and dap and layin on the bank wasting the day away.
smily_headphones1.gif

While spray painting the bald spots on your head, so the chicks will think you have a full head of hair.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Sounds perfect because that's actually one of the few brands for head-amps that the danish distributors so I wouldn't even have to import in this case. I can only see the version 3 though, the same as this: Musical Fidelity Xcanv3
Being sceptical to newer product revisions as I've become after hearing the HD600 versus the HD650, I hope don't hope the v3 is a downgrade from v1, but I supposed it's good.

But regarding the DAC's.. I'm perhaps a bit concerned using my Creative X-Fi though I will be using ASIO. I wonder of the X-Fi will be a bottleneck or if the difference with or without the MF Xcan v3 would be apparent..?

I'm also considering a HeadAmp Pico though I'm concerned if it can empower a full headset such as the HD600.

I can't speak for the Pico but I can speak for the RSA Predator. It will properly run the 600's as if the amp were meant to run with the 600's. In fact the 600's are ther headphones that Ray Samuels uses to voice all his amps. From my personal experience I have not yet found a headphone that is not run and run properly with the Predator. If you notice my signature I can say for a fact that all my headphones are easily run with the Predator. The Predator can take up to 600 hours of play time before it's at most of it's capacity but once you've reached about 700 hours on your Predator it's running any heaphone with ease and grace. The amp will sound good after just a few hundred hours but substancially gets better over play time.I highly recommend the Predator but then again I reccommend all of the RSA amps. Once again check my signature. The RSA amps have a smoothness about them that brings you the lush characteristics of analogue paired with the detailed sound of digital giving an overall smooth, lush yet detailed sound. RSA makes a wonderful product which I cannot endorse highly enough.I own three RSA amps and am thinking yet another. In terms of the Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card , the Predator will actually make the sound card, and this is the sound card I use in my computer,sound lacking in overall high end sound quality. The dac in the Predator is far superior sounding than running directly off the sound card straight line out into an amp. I've compared with the Exreme Music X-Fi compared directly to the dac in the predator using the "usp-line in" option switch offered on the Predator and the Predator's dac sounds more like a higher end CDP as opposed to a decent sound card in a computer. This amp/dac combo the size of a 1/2 of a pack of cigarettes(smaller actually) gives a full robust sound with any of the high draw headphones which rivals if not surpasses many of the medium to larger headphone amplifiers out there. It's dare I say magical.

Feb 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #42 of 42
arghwedonotdoseparateparagraphsforeaseofreadingmye yesmyeyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back