Best HD800 Amp
Jul 22, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #136 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerinedream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?
They are the most amp related headphones because of their linearity.Solidstate amps are not recommended here at all if you want to hear music.The ultimate R-L soundstage wich is also one of the Senns strenghts you dont get with solid state.

Hmmm...Let me see...what amp would you recommend?

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #138 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to drive them balanced a with presonus central station?

The Central Station has two internal amps, however it doesn't have balanced inputs.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #139 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...Let me see...what amp would you recommend?

You won't get to find out as he just earned himself a permaban lol

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #141 of 654
Silvercore, of course.
rolleyes.gif
Don't you know, he doesn't buy anything Chinese.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #142 of 654
Thanks
smile.gif

it may be a stupid question,but is it possible to buy 2 cheap amps and drive a headphone balanced this way,meaning,i will connect the L to one amp and the R to another one...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Central Station has two internal amps, however it doesn't have balanced inputs.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #143 of 654
Quote:

Thanks
smile.gif

it may be a stupid question,but is it possible to buy 2 cheap amps and drive a headphone balanced this way,meaning,i will connect the L to one amp and the R to another one...

I've been wondering the same, too. Makes sense. But I'm also wondering if there's some kind of "ghost noise" that comes in from the unused input. Since that socket's empty, you'd think not.

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #144 of 654
I guess you could theoretically get some monoblocks going, but two cheap amps is still more expensive than a balanced one-box affair, if all else is equal. I know people have done headphone monoblocks before, I just don't remember who.

Anyways, I'm a little bit disappointed that nobody has posted extensive comparisons here between top amps. I've seen comments here and there in other places, but this thread is kinda lacking.

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #145 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silvercore, of course.
rolleyes.gif
Don't you know, he doesn't buy anything Chinese.

Or Australian lol

I better add to this thread myself less I get shouted at too~

I heard the hd800 balanced thru Johns b22 and it was fantastic.
As soon as I have the b22 side of that equation sorted I will have to look at tracking down a hd800 ^^

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #146 of 654
Quote:

Thanks
smile.gif

No, balanced means that the signal, for each channel, is sent as a differential signal. The actual signal is taken from the difference of the signals received. A more proper way is to take in your balanced signal and have a four channel amp, so that you amplify each of the two signals for each channel. Having a monoblock configuration would still treat the signals as being single-ended.

Jul 30, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #147 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop and it sounds fantastic.

I like this matchup, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . the phonitor was too much, too aggressive too artificla somehow... It is very difficult for me to explain.

I don't know what your lineup was like, but this isn't close to my experience.

I've been living with the stock HD800 and the Phonitor since last night. Source, Digital Link III, stock. Interconnect, Silver Serpent II XLR balanced.

I normally use the computer as transport for lossless tracks so I first had it hooked up via USB. The result was thin, anemic. My other 'phones -- GS1K, HD650, K701 -- actually sounded just as good (or bad) if not better.

I then tried the coaxial, and all doubts disappeared. I played with the optical, too, but found it was very close but not as good.

Deep and powerful bass, dynamic even as it rolled off. Mids and highs, absolutely no doubts here.

With the limited comparisons I've done, the HD800 and HD650 synergize best. The HD650 sounds completely different. I actually reached up to touch the cups to make sure they were the 650s. No veil, no darkness. Sweet and clear. Articulate.

The GS1K synergizes well in its strong areas, but the deep bass tended toward flatulence, losing tightness and resilience. The K701 seems somehow anemic. But I've given the ones that sounded best more time, and so far, the K701 has had the least. The Senns, the most, and of these, the HD800.

[Update 7/30] I spent about an hour with the K701 this noon with coaxial input from the CDP and the SQ was excellent. In my earlier tests, I was on USB or optical from the computer. [end of update]

Initial impression -- the Phonitor and HD800, in this lineup, beats anything I've ever owned or listened to. I have to admit, though, that I haven't heard most of the high-end amps mentioned in this thread.

About the Phonitor's ability to simulate speaker direction -- from the literature, I couldn't really grasp what this meant. I've never been into speakers so my only orientation is 'phones. I set the crossfeed, speaker angle, and center level at random, somewhere in the "middle," and left them there. I'll be playing with these in the coming days.

But for now, my impression is that they make a huge difference in the listener's sense of location in not only the sound stage but the sound space. At one point this afternoon, I turned and looked over my right shoulder, thinking that I must've left the computer speakers on. They're actually in front of my desk, high up on the wall, but I looked anyway because I was hearing a piano from that direction, over my shoulder, outside my headphone sound space.

This is the first time I've experienced headphone sound from what seems to be beyond the space that 'phones usually cover.

So how does this all add up for the HD800 and the Phonitor? With classical music, the sense is of being in a live concert hall. The acoustics are remarkably real. The word that best fits is "alive."

For jazz, for piano, for acoustic guitar, for female voices -- again, alive.

If we're discussing great amps for the HD800, the Phonitor has to be in the mix. I believe it'll hold up extremely well against the best competition.

Sorry for the lack of coherence in this, but back to the USB -- I don't have decent cables so I'll need to get some to see if they make a difference.

I'm also using stock power cables. I ordered decent ones, they're still in transit. These, too, I think, will make a difference.

I haven't had time to do any other tests.

One last thing -- Brian Bromberg's "Cantaloupe Island," from Downright Upright, Artistry Music, 20 Feb 2007, is the toughest bass test I've found for my cans and equipment, and the HD800-Phonitor is the only pairing that does it justice.

Jul 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #148 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schrute /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop and it sounds fantastic.

I will second that! --- in particular the Headroom BUDA which allows you to use the HD800's in balanced configuration.

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #149 of 654
i'll add that i recently listened to the HD800 balanced on the Phoenix and WA22. it sounded okay with the Phoenix. very nice with the WA22, but still not as good as when paired with the B52.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #150 of 654
Haven't had the privilege of listening to the HD800 balanced, but of the various single ended combos I tried at CanJam, I absolutely loved the HD800's via the Woo Audio 5 Max. All of the air and neutrality were there, but at the same time, the sound was just so incredibly lush... Listening to choral music was as close to sitting in St. Martin's listening to live as I have ever heard through cans.

For purposes of comparison, I listened to them with multiple amps at Moon's table, through the Headroom Max desktop, and through Todd's lovely 307A (which I thought a match made in heaven for the PS1000)...but I'd kill to own a WA5 + HD800 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back