Best HD800 Amp
Sep 25, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #166 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing the consensus here is that HD800 + Quality valve amp = Amazing.

There is a school of thought that OTL tube amps may not be the best fit, based on the 800s purportedly high inductance. Lots of people seem very happy with their Zana Deux combos, though, so who knows?

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #168 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinR70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who besides ipodpj claims it is one of the best amps for 800? Isn't yours up for sale in the FS forum? I'm surprised you would be selling if it is so good.

I sold them because I didn't like HD800 that much after all. If you search around the forum, you will see that there are couple other head-fiers who think Sonett as one of the best HD800 amp. Not the best, but "one" of the best.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #169 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a school of thought that OTL tube amps may not be the best fit, based on the 800s purportedly high inductance. Lots of people seem very happy with their Zana Deux combos, though, so who knows?

I think the 800s sound fantistic with the Woo WA2 and prefer it over the Lehmann. The WA2 provides a wonderful, organic 3D soundscape where all of the instruments are themselves 3D. The Lehmann is similar, but the instruments themselves are like cardboard cutouts. They are located correctly in the soundscape but less like the real thing.

The Lehmann is still a great amp and, probably, more accurate. I'm sure some will claim the WA2 takes artist license in its reproduction, but who cares when it draws you into the music so completely!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #170 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold them because I didn't like HD800 that much after all. If you search around the forum, you will see that there are couple other head-fiers who think Sonett as one of the best HD800 amp. Not the best, but "one" of the best.

The Sonett definitely sounds good with the HD800. In its price range it is among the best for tube amps. Likewise, among its price range for SS the Phoenix is at the top.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #173 of 654
So if I would be looking for a balanced amp for the HD 800 that has an single ended out aswell is this all the options.

B22
Audio-GD Phoenix
Ray Samuels Apache
Ray Samuels B-52
Headamp GS-X
TTVJ Millet 307A
WooAudio WA22

The TTVJ and B-52 is kinda out of my budget though and building aint really my thing, even do Ive got friends/co-workers that prolly could help me with it.
We only had single ended amps at our mini-meet to try the HD 800 with and I favored the DNA Sonett before the grace,naim,rudistor we had present.

The DAC I'll be getting is most likely the DA11 if I dont go for the Phoenix, then I'll get the Ref1 obviously.

Its quite rough having to buy these kinda things blindly so I would love some input.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #174 of 654
here are some thoughts.

* B22: reports of 800 use are good. pretty sure there are builders out there as well. not sure of cost.
* Audio-GD Phoenix: didn't terribly impress me. would be inclined to spend more for something else.
* RSA Apache: some very positive impressions in the apache impressions thread. they come up used on occasion as well.
* RSA B-52: a great choice, but you said out of budget. don't come up used very often too.
* Headamp GS-X: haven't heard but wait time is an issue.
* TTVJ Millet 307A: you said out of budget.
* WooAudio WA22: sounded good with the 800. would probably be my choice if i could not afford the B52.
* Eddie Current Balancing Act: another bal amp. cost is around $3500. but wait time seems to be an issue here.
* Rudistor amps: haven't heard any of them with the 800. but another company to look into.
* HeadRoom: i have a Balanced Home and it sounds very good with the 800. the BUDA + DPS is supposed to sound on par.
* Little Dot: they have two balanced amps. haven't heard either with the 800.

Oct 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #175 of 654
Does the 4 last ones have a single ended out though? (Didnt fancy the sound of the single ended rudistor we had at the meet, so I dont think that will be an option)
Does the apache have a 110v to 230v switch or do I have to look for a 230v version if buying used?
The apache is quite expensive compared to the phoenix and b22 aswell and reading from one of the meets (the one ipodpj hosted I think, they werent impressed with it compared to the phoenix and b22) and they compared the phoenix and b22 pretty close.
The quality issues with the phoenix sounds abit scary do.

Is the B-52 really in a whole other league of the others?

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #176 of 654
What about the newer less expensive Luxman?
The P-1 is my favorite amp for the HD800's and the HE-5's for that matter.
The newer P-200 and even newer shouldn't disappoint.
I believe Todd carries them.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #178 of 654
The last 4 companies sell amps both single ended and balanced. All reputable. Different price points, different sounds in that whole group.

I am getting the Apache, knowing the RSA house sound, and the decision to stick with a solid state amp this go round.

The Headroom ultra balanced trio (DAC/AMP/PS) was a close second.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #179 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by danne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the 4 last ones have a single ended out though? (Didnt fancy the sound of the single ended rudistor we had at the meet, so I dont think that will be an option)
Does the apache have a 110v to 230v switch or do I have to look for a 230v version if buying used?

Is the B-52 really in a whole other league of the others?

No switch, one has to order an european version to use it in Europe (or get a transformer, but I wouldn't recommend it as it would be a potentially sound dmging obstacle). The same goes for my B52, the Power Supply was wired for european voltages.
As for the B52 vs Apache question, can't comment. I've never heard an Apache, but the B52 surely sounds fantastic. Think Vcoheda and some other heard them both and posted some thoughts somewhere.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #180 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The last 4 companies sell amps both single ended and balanced. All reputable. Different price points, different sounds in that whole group.

I am getting the Apache, knowing the RSA house sound, and the decision to stick with a solid state amp this go round.

The Headroom ultra balanced trio (DAC/AMP/PS) was a close second.

Have you been able to compare the apache to the phoenix/b22 or something simular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back