Best HD800 Amp
Jun 21, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #121 of 654
My two euro cents from Canjam; Beta 22 + HD800s = truly, obviously high-end sound; DNA Sonnet and higher-end Ray Samuels also extremely good. Didn't get to hear the Headroom offering.

FWIW, I thought the DA11 was one of the best digital sources at the show, and would be a solid front-end.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #122 of 654
Hello, I want to agree with what Henk said earlier. I probbably went to the seem store as he did and maybe even met him there, not sure. I also listened to an l3000 someone brought. I too found the hd800 to sound best with the lehmann black cube. I tried it with the phonitor as well. I tried the x-can v8 (but only with the ed8) i preferred the lehman but i did not do long comparisons between the lehmann and the phonitor and i am not sure if they were connected to different sources. If I had not already bought the wa2 maxx I probbably would have gotten thelehmann instead. The hd800 will eventually be my headphone of choice and I am very interested in going balanced then. It seems there are now more tube options then solid state, woo 22, balancing act b52... I guess the zana deux (unbalanced) is also worth considering although I really hope! The hd800 will sound good on the woo as well.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #123 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I want to agree with what Henk said earlier. I probbably went to the seem store as he did and maybe even met him there, not sure. I also listened to an l3000 someone brought. I too found the hd800 to sound best with the lehmann black cube. I tried it with the phonitor as well. I tried the x-can v8 (but only with the ed8) i preferred the lehman but i did not do long comparisons between the lehmann and the phonitor and i am not sure if they were connected to different sources. Greetings, Anouk,

Thanks for your impressions, very interesting. Could you elaborate a little bit on the differences between the phonitor and lehmann? What was the difference that makes the lehmann better?

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #124 of 654
Hi, well it has been a while and for the most part I just listened to the lehmann because it made it sound better, for me, just a better synergy, the phonitor was too much, too aggressive too artificla somehow... It is very difficult for me to explain. But, as you live close to the netherlands I would really suggest paying a visit to Hans one day (especially since he specializes in head-fi anyway) and hear it for yourself (and then share your impressions with us). Hans is also a qualified hd800 dealer and you can demo it there. Also, I think i read somewhere that sennheiser itselve uses this amp too.
I want to say again though the hd800 is the most wonderful headphone I have ever heard but my visit to Hans really showed me that synergy is the mos timportant thing.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #125 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, well it has been a while and for the most part I just listened to the lehmann because it made it sound better, for me, just a better synergy, the phonitor was too much, too aggressive too artificla somehow... It is very difficult for me to explain. But, as you live close to the netherlands I would really suggest paying a visit to Hans one day (especially since he specializes in head-fi anyway) and hear it for yourself (and then share your impressions with us). Hans is also a qualified hd800 dealer and you can demo it there. Also, I think i read somewhere that sennheiser itselve uses this amp too.
I want to say again though the hd800 is the most wonderful headphone I have ever heard but my visit to Hans really showed me that synergy is the mos timportant thing.
Greetings, Anouk,

Thanks, from your description i can already guess what you mean with the phonitor. Lehmann and Sennheiser have a relationship for quite some time. Prof. Sennheiser uses the Black Cube and it was also used in all of their public demonstrations with the HD800. From all that I would guess that the Lehmann BlackCube was also used by the engineers during development, so it makes sense being a good match. I'll definately have a listen to it as soon the HD800 get's out

I'm curious what the source was as this has a really big impact on the Phonitors/Auditors perfomance. Maybe Hans can join and comment?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #126 of 654
Guys,

I borrowed the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 from a friend of mine for testing and find surpriningly results on 2-ch listening. The level of noise is very low.

It has a high fidelity headphones amplifier using the TPA6120A2 chip. This headphones line driver can drive your HD800, as well as other cans, a lot louder than almost typical sound cards. Its 4 x PCM1796 DAC configuration turns your PC into an "uncompromising" CD player.

Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe: Asus HTPC sound card does Everything | silentpcreview.com

I believe you will enjoy listening to the Xonar HDAV 1.3 + the HD800 as much as other amps/dacs. Give it a try !

BTW, the Asus Xonar Essence STX also has the same heaphones line driver and DACs inside. The high-level output of the Xonar can expidite burn-in within a few days !!

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #127 of 654
Audio-gd Phoenix.

I've been reporting in the Phoenix thread similar experiences to what Bada.Bing is saying about the 3d presentation. But balanced with the Phoenix/RAM DL3/HD800/high-end power cord combo the soundstage is extremely holophonic. I don't have a K1000 to compare to, but I've never heard this spatial realism (as well as smooth, fast, extremely detailed from top to bottom, and very natural) through a headphone system ever (speakers, yes). Only the HD800 (and I assume K1000) can do this. My K702 and D5000 are unable to show but a slight hint of it.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #129 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio-gd Phoenix.

?
They are the most amp related headphones because of their linearity.Solidstate amps are not recommended here at all if you want to hear music.The ultimate R-L soundstage wich is also one of the Senns strenghts you dont get with solid state.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #130 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerinedream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?
They are the most amp related headphones because of their linearity.Solidstate amps are not recommended here at all if you want to hear music.The ultimate R-L soundstage wich is also one of the Senns strenghts you dont get with solid state.

Bull
tongue.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #132 of 654
Quote:

?

And you don't want tubes when you want to hear vocals. LOL. Whats the problem with Senns linearilty? Too much linearity when paired with solid state? What solid state amps have you heard so that you formulate such ridiculous statement?
gs1000.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #133 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bull
tongue.gif

Hehe I believe he needs a beta22 :p

Jul 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #134 of 654
Quote:

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bull
tongue.gif

My laugh for the day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #135 of 654
Quote:

?

Still trashing the Phoenix but in an indirect way?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back