Best 5.1 / 7.1 headphones !?
Sep 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #46 of 89
"The mixamp has an advantage as it has support for online chat, which gives you possibility to have the right volume between game sound and chat sound volumes."

This can already be done by using the game options:

E.G MW2 Options, Voice/chat Volume + Or -
       Game volume + Or -

Quote:
Sorry, you've lost me now.  I only suggested a couple of Dolby Headphone amps, I've not mentioned any headphones with multiple drivers.

Or are you just saying that you don't think the mixamp will add anything to the gaming experience in terms of positioning?  (Bearing in mind that I'd be using it with some regular 2 driver cans.)

In my personal experiences  there is no point.....

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #47 of 89
Thanks for the welcome, but man, you guys are making it hard!

One of you swears by 5.1 headphones

One of you the mixamp with stereo headphones

And one of you just stereo headphones by themselves.

I'm kinda heading toward the mixamp and stereo headphones, but I have no idea why.

I guess that all the 5.1 headphones seem to have a flaw of some sort.  Either very flimsy build quality or poor sound, plus I'm not entirely convinced about the sound positioning.  It seems to me that you'd be able to hear a difference between the front drivers and rear drivers, which would offer some separation and positioning, but then a fair few folks swear that they're too close for your ears to notice.

What really gets me, is how a regular stereo set of cans with no processing or anything would be able to give me any positioning whatsoever.  After all, the cans have no way of positioning sound as such (except left to right).  Though, I guess that would also go for using the mixamp with stereo cans... how could it push the sound forward and behind?  I can't see how delays of any sort could move the sound forwards or backwards?

Again, I have no ideas on the subject, so I'm all ears.  I'd love to hear your educated findings, so I can make the best decision on what to get for my gaming rig.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #48 of 89
Give the Mixamp a search. You'll find lots of happy owners. I don't think there's anyone I've read about ever returning one.

As far as game/voice volume balance, not everyone's mic's are the same levels. Yes you can adjust in settings, but once the match has started do you really want to be standing in the open in the menu to make adjustments?

Also not that its particularly useful but it is kind of cool to be able to attach an iPod and such for background music. The daisy-chain ability is also great if you play LANs.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #51 of 89

Note:

For the Dolby technology to work with stereo headphones is impossible....

The headphones and the decoder both must have Dolby support...

Since at this point you are deciding to have "mix amp and stereo headphones".

Unless this is the only setup you can afford right now? It would be a waste...

Only one of the features would benefit you... But that feature can already be accessed by the game...

Its up to you, Its your money, Its your decision..

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #53 of 89

Quote:

Note:

Only one of the features would benefit you... But that feature can already be accessed by the game...

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #54 of 89

Quote:

Note:

Ah, I was under the impression that the mixamp could provide a "virtual" dolby headphone output, designed for use with stereo headphones?  Sure, it also has a digital output that could be fed through to headphones with 8 drivers, but I thought it did both?

Out of interest, what would you do in my situation?  Plugging in a set of decent cans into the stereo output of my AV amp seems as if it would benefit me no more than using my existing headphones, albeit better sound quality perhaps.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #55 of 89
I'm not sure that you understand what the Mixamp does... There is no point in getting the Mixamp for cans that already support 5.1 weather it be multiple drivers or simulated technology. The Mixamp is specifically designed FOR stereo phones that do not natively support 5.1.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #56 of 89
Hi again,
sorry for the "OP being out" but he had lot of work today, and just cound't be here while the disscusion run furthen then i thought it may go.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway thanks for all the precious informations. Although the conflict between which is better: 5.1/7.1 headphones, OR better quality stereo headphones + amp is better was not resolved - all sides of the conflict have their good points.
smily_headphones1.gif

The point, and the reason why i started this thread, is that I enjoy multichannel sound (5.1) both in games and in music - currently opportunity to listen to preety good 5.1 sound I owe to set mentioned in the main post (Logitech Z-5500 + Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional). [To be clear I listen to a lot of music in DTS standard, but even without it high quality recordings sound great on 5.1] And I would like to keep that multichannel sound both in games and music. The main idea was: keep multichannel sound (5.1) simultaniously keeping the highest sound quality you can achieve (!!)

As the budget is not limitless - currently I can spend up to 220 Euro on headphones. But considering something is worth saving the money for - i can do that, and buy headphones in a month or two when I will have around 300 Euro to spend (as I must eat something in between too).
smily_headphones1.gif

Analising all above mentioned arguments I assume that I just have to consider which is more important to me: positioning OR sound quality. As for obvious reasons mentioned before - when headphones have more than 2 drivers (some have 2 x 4 = 8) they just must be poorer quality then normal sized streo headphones.

I guess I should just buy myself one pair of 5.1 headphones with microphone for gaming, and the other for music listening (even though I assume the DTS sound will not sound as great as on normal 5.1 speaker system).
As long as there will be propably no compromise between the positioning vs. quality struggle - for now I must assume that above mentioned solution is only one realistic.

To be more specific though I just assume that for me the best will be:
1) 5.1 headphones for PURE gaming that were mentioned before: Turtle Beach HPA2 (as they have REAL multichanneling -> front/rear/sub), and are in really good price (im not counting the "how to get them here" problem right now) - or does anyone have anny better idea??
2) good stereo headphones + amp

Regarding that we focus on 2) point (as there is not much users who really used 5.1 / 7.1 headphones by themselves [one again thx for "mcnoiserdc" for usefull informations]) whould u be kind to advice me the headphones+amp set for PURE music listening?
Counting I spent 100 euro on 5.1 headphones from 220 euro budget I have 120 Euro left + eventually some future savings (as I understand its MUCH better to buy something more expensive but also get something with much better sound quality).
To define the charasteristics of sound I need -> I listen mostly to highquality orchestral movie soundtracks (Zimmer, Gregson-Williams, Jablonsky, Powell and so on) and classical music (Vagner, Grieg, Mozzart...). Prefarably I like well heard "mids" if that helps anyhow.

Thank you again for all the support!

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #58 of 89

"There is no point in getting the Mixamp for cans that already support 5.1 weather it be multiple drivers or simulated technology."

Take the Astro a40 gaming system: Astro mixamp dolby 5.1
                                                     Astro A40 gaming headset 5.1
Why

To get the full dolby exsperince...

The mixamp only stimulates 5.1 sourround sound:

Well to be perfectly honest I am not a huge fan of these so called 3D simulators, whether it be a new Dolby headphone or CMSS which my soundcard has, sure for gaming it gives an illusion of surround sound but if you choose to play music with any of those features its a complete & utter MESS! after all no matter how good they say these features are you have to remember its only a simulation, real surround requires more drivers/speakers.

"They don't do true sound-staging any better than stereo."

"From Dolby  Team

As far as we're aware, there are only two devices that connect to any stereo headphones and provide the Dolby Headphone experience.  They are the Turtle Beach DSS unit and the JVC SUDH-1: http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?pathId=2&modelId=MODL027291&page=1

If you were looking to replace your current headset, then you would have more options, as there a few gaming headsets that Fully support our technology:

-Astro Gaming A30/A40 with mix amp
-Logitech G35, G930 (PC only)
-Plantronics GameCom 777 (PC only)
-Sennheiser, PC 333D, PC 163D (Europe & PC only)
-Tritton AXPro, AX720
-Turtle Beach, X4, X41

Thanks-
The Dolby Game Team"

Quote:
 This is the best setup in my opion:

Headphone amplifier

Headphones

Optional 5.1 decoder..

"We all hear and precive things diffrently..

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #59 of 89
I would do what you are saying. that is exaclty what I have.
As you are playing using pc you don't need mixamp. Just use the cmss3d from your sound card (it is virtual surround just like dolby headphones from asus xonar or mixamp, being the cmss3d better than dolby headphones for a lot of people).
Buy A good set of 5.1 headphones either roccat kave, hpa2 or sharkoon xtatic analog, and a good pair of stereo headphones for instance sennheiser hd 595. Then you can play with both and see yourself what is better. If you like better the stereo set then sell the multiple drivers. that is the way to go.

Quote:
Hi again,
sorry for the "OP being out" but he had lot of work today, and just cound't be here while the disscusion run furthen then i thought it may go.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> Anyway thanks for all the precious informations. Although the conflict between which is better: 5.1/7.1 headphones, OR better quality stereo headphones + amp is better was not resolved - all sides of the conflict have their good points.
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

The point, and the reason why i started this thread, is that I enjoy multichannel sound (5.1) both in games and in music - currently opportunity to listen to preety good 5.1 sound I owe to set mentioned in the main post (Logitech Z-5500 + Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional). [To be clear I listen to a lot of music in DTS standard, but even without it high quality recordings sound great on 5.1] And I would like to keep that multichannel sound both in games and music. The main idea was: keep multichannel sound (5.1) simultaniously keeping the highest sound quality you can achieve (!!)

As the budget is not limitless - currently I can spend up to 220 Euro on headphones. But considering something is worth saving the money for - i can do that, and buy headphones in a month or two when I will have around 300 Euro to spend (as I must eat something in between too).
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

Analising all above mentioned arguments I assume that I just have to consider which is more important to me: positioning OR sound quality. As for obvious reasons mentioned before - when headphones have more than 2 drivers (some have 2 x 4 = 8) they just must be poorer quality then normal sized streo headphones.

I guess I should just buy myself one pair of 5.1 headphones with microphone for gaming, and the other for music listening (even though I assume the DTS sound will not sound as great as on normal 5.1 speaker system).
As long as there will be propably no compromise between the positioning vs. quality struggle - for now I must assume that above mentioned solution is only one realistic.

To be more specific though I just assume that for me the best will be:
1) 5.1 headphones for PURE gaming that were mentioned before: Turtle Beach HPA2 (as they have REAL multichanneling -> front/rear/sub), and are in really good price (im not counting the "how to get them here" problem right now) - or does anyone have anny better idea??
2) good stereo headphones + amp

Regarding that we focus on 2) point (as there is not much users who really used 5.1 / 7.1 headphones by themselves [one again thx for "mcnoiserdc" for usefull informations]) whould u be kind to advice me the headphones+amp set for PURE music listening?
Counting I spent 100 euro on 5.1 headphones from 220 euro budget I have 120 Euro left + eventually some future savings (as I understand its MUCH better to buy something more expensive but also get something with much better sound quality).
To define the charasteristics of sound I need -> I listen mostly to highquality orchestral movie soundtracks (Zimmer, Gregson-Williams, Jablonsky, Powell and so on) and classical music (Vagner, Grieg, Mozzart...). Prefarably I like well heard "mids" if that helps anyhow.

Thank you again for all the support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back