Beats
Jun 2, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #76 of 112
DANG!  I agree with the "ability to audition!"  I get just as impatient with "Audio File" headphones that either ask you to drive to the next state, or buy on faith and return (sometimes)! as I get with pretentious "audio file" headphones that either insist on making you buy a 1/4" - to - 1/8" plug converter, or put a fat shoulder on their 1/8" plug (even after you pay extra for it) (I'm looking at YOU, Grado and Sennheiser!!).

That alone would turn me into a Beats fan if I weren't already one.

What advantages do the Solo2s have over the Studio 2013s?  I'm very pleased with my Studios (and my Pros, and my HeartBeats), but I am grasping for justification to buy more Beats!!

Perhaps Beats Studios should be bought by the "brace," i.e, the entire "drenched with color" set, which near as I can tell has:

• Gray (yours, cb...)
  • White
  • Red
  • Black
  • Blue
  • Pink (don't snicker, you former Marines out there... they are Great for October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month!)

So buy the "brace" for a cool $1,000, in a sense buy 5 and get the sixth one free!

Then choose the one you want for each day of the week, and go Naked on Sunday (since there are only 6 colors).

The Mixr's seem to be a more appropriate replacement, marketed as a professional DJ headphone *cough**cough*

But the problem is, it's not a successor to the Pro line like how the Studios and Solos got an upgrade. Besides, the Executives were aimed at "businessmen" who travel by air frequently.

There's this thing about ads and intrusiveness - they pop up in your face without giving you much choice. I think this thread is interesting enough for Billybob to open up and choose to read of their own free will.
I won't buy any beats for two reasons: I hate fashion, and I love to be different. I wear different things than everyone, I have different headphones, I use a different smartphone... Nokia, AKG etc... Reason 2: I don't care about size, I care about functionality. If it sounds decent and is small and is 200$, great! But why would I buy it when I can buy a better sounding headphone for 150$ less, even if it is giant? I'll happily use an open backed headphone that weighs 400 grams for mobile use as long as it sounds good. The thing is that I am completely fine with beats improving. It just means that people will be used to neutrality in headphones. Convenience isn't a factor in my buying decisions (at least when it comes to audio...)what did you mean by don't snicker you former Marines out there kayandjohn? And I'm surprised the executives aren't more popular than the studios. They look more durable and high end...

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #77 of 112
Great set of advantages!  I have never really needed the active noise cancellation offered by the Beats Studio; 2013, though it is masterfully done!

I am now (reluctantly) taking off the HE-500 headphones I just received today from a purchase from monkeysixtysix on this forum and going to my local Apple store to buy the Beats Studio 2.  As you, I wonder... what color....?
the anc isn't very well done on the studio 2013's... Don't know what you were talking about. And you just got an HE-500 and are going to buy studio 2013's?? 0.0 I'd be content with an He-500... Well, I guess I don't have a disposable income lol.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #78 of 112
Great set of advantages!  I have never really needed the active noise cancellation offered by the Beats Studio; 2013, though it is masterfully done!

I am now (reluctantly) taking off the HE-500 headphones I just received today from a purchase from monkeysixtysix on this forum and going to my local Apple store to buy the Beats Studio 2.  As you, I wonder... what color....?

You mean you're gonna buy the beats solo2's?

The ANC on beats studios is good but when you are in your local Apple store see if they have a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15's out on display to try out, and just try it for the ANC function, not playing music, there's a switch on one of the ear cups side with green LCD to show on - I guarantee you - you will be blown away by how good it is - it's like putting the world into mute - like a 100 times more powerful than the beats ANC and I'm not exaggerating - I stood like a clown for 10mins in store just putting them on and taking them off just wowing over the contrast, it really is a OMG how is this doing this moment - definitely worth experiencing - BOSE are world leaders in ANC technology by a long shot :cool:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/YDPVryZ773w[/VIDEO]​

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #79 of 112
the anc isn't very well done on the studio 2013's... Don't know what you were talking about. And you just got an HE-500 and are going to buy studio 2013's?? 0.0 I'd be content with an He-500... Well, I guess I don't have a disposable income lol.

I don't choose to buy beats for the reasons you don't :wink:

Each to their own young dude, each to their own... :)

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #80 of 112
I won't buy any beats for two reasons: I hate fashion, and I love to be different. I wear different things than everyone, I have different headphones, I use a different smartphone... Nokia, AKG etc... Reason 2: I don't care about size, I care about functionality. If it sounds decent and is small and is 200$, great! But why would I buy it when I can buy a better sounding headphone for 150$ less, even if it is giant? I'll happily use an open backed headphone that weighs 400 grams for mobile use as long as it sounds good. The thing is that I am completely fine with beats improving. It just means that people will be used to neutrality in headphones. Convenience isn't a factor in my buying decisions (at least when it comes to audio...)what did you mean by don't snicker you former Marines out there kayandjohn? And I'm surprised the executives aren't more popular than the studios. They look more durable and high end...

I agree with that; my smartphone over the last two years were a common model, but I tried to make it unique:

TIHUKXj.jpg
7j298SU.jpg

mWaUnyX.jpg
F1QxmkG.jpg

And Beats were unique enough because there aren't many carbon fibre sets around:

900x900px-LL-a917d52f_ngcV05R.jpeg

I'm happy with what I've got, and that's what counts for me!

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #81 of 112
I agree with that; my smartphone over the last two years were a common model, but I tried to make it unique:

TIHUKXj.jpg

7j298SU.jpg

mWaUnyX.jpg

F1QxmkG.jpg

And Beats were unique enough because there aren't many carbon fibre sets around:

You seem to like modding your stuff and like to see how things work - like your pics posted of swapping headcan drivers etc - if I even attempted that I'd ruin every pair I messed with lol :D

I've watched people solder modification chips onto SONY PS2 consoles when they just came out and were expensive and the delicacy needed to solder the chip onto the circuit board just looked mind blowingly difficult - ie one wrong move and the PS2 was for the bin! But these guys were soldering up to 20 PS2 consoles per day without a glitch - a real skill for sure.

Jun 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #82 of 112

OK... like the Beats Fanboy that I am, I just hustled myself to my nearby Apple store to buy the cb3723-endorsed Beats Solo2.  The journey was most pleasant, as my 2013 FIAT 500 Abarth is outfitted with the Beats Audio premium sound system, my first exposure to Beats.

When I got there, I asked...

They did not have the Beats Solo2 yet.

They Did Not Have Them Yet.

THEY.  DID. NOT. HAVE. THEM!

So I listened to the original Beats Solo HD in consolation, deciding that they did not have enough bass.

Next to them were the Beats MIXR... much better bass -- I'd buy them in consolation, but I really did want to wait for the new Beats Solo2.

But... THEY DID NOT HAVE THEM!

So here I am back under my HE-500s that arrived today, listening to Tori Amos "I Don't Like Mondays" and now understanding why... Today is MONDAY!

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #83 of 112
You seem to like modding your stuff and like to see how things work - like your pics posted of swapping headcan drivers etc - if I even attempted that I'd ruin every pair I messed with lol
biggrin.gif

I've watched people solder modification chips onto SONY PS2 consoles when they just came out and were expensive and the delicacy needed to solder the chip onto the circuit board just looked mind blowingly difficult - ie one wrong move and the PS2 was for the bin! But these guys were soldering up to 20 PS2 consoles per day without a glitch - a real skill for sure.

Right you are, my friend!

I'm never satisfied with "stock" consumer hardware/software. I have to add a bit of my own flair to everything I own 
rolleyes.gif

I've done a lot of modding with Beats ANC chips, too!

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #84 of 112

I, too love to be different.  I do it by professing my admiration for Beats on a site that has so many members that think otherwise.

And yep... I DO have a headphone addiction.  But I do not have the time to sit in one place and listen, tethered by a cord, a preamp, an amplifier, vacuum tubes, a DAC, special cables, and a plug into the wall... I rely on portable audio setups.  In my case, smaller is better.  I have headphones that sound wonderful in my collection of two dozen, but that fall off my head if I am moving about, particularly bending over while cleaning or gardening.  None of my Beats, not even the relatively heavy Beats Pro, fall off while I am working while listening.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #85 of 112

Not really looking for ANC... I don't need it.  It is better done on the Beats than on my Sennheiser PXC 310 BT (on-ear folding wireless headphones), but not as well as on my Parrot Ziks.  I hear and believe, but have not personally witnessed, that Bose does active noise cancellation better than any others.

(Oh, and I am on a fixed income (i.e. income is ZERO - I'm retired)... purchase of a Solo 2.0 advances the day I run out of money by one day!)

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #86 of 112

The ANC on beats studios is good but when you are in your local Apple store see if they have a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15's out on display to try out, and just try it for the ANC function, not playing music, there's a switch on one of the ear cups side with green LCD to show on - I guarantee you - you will be blown away by how good it is - it's like putting the world into mute - like a 100 times more powerful than the beats ANC and I'm not exaggerating - I stood like a clown for 10mins in store just putting them on and taking them off just wowing over the contrast, it really is a OMG how is this doing this moment - definitely worth experiencing - BOSE are world leaders in ANC technology by a long shot
cool.gif

cb3723... more accurately, I TRIED to buy the Beats Solo 2.  The Apple store had not gotten them yet.  All based on your comments plus my love of Beats!  And for me, ANC is a minus not a plus... I don't need it, it adds cost, and it messes up the headphone frequency response.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #87 of 112

I, too love to be different.  I do it by professing my admiration for Beats on a site that has so many members that think otherwise.

And yep... I DO have a headphone addiction.  But I do not have the time to sit in one place and listen, tethered by a cord, a preamp, an amplifier, vacuum tubes, a DAC, special cables, and a plug into the wall... I rely on portable audio setups.  In my case, smaller is better.  I have headphones that sound wonderful in my collection of two dozen, but that fall off my head if I am moving about, particularly bending over while cleaning or gardening.  None of my Beats, not even the relatively heavy Beats Pro, fall off while I am working while listening.

Same here; I like headphones and all, but I don't like them so much as to have such a cumbersome setup. Mine's just my headphone+my smartphone. Besides, my music is all digital. I don't have any vinyls lying around or a big collection of CDs or anything. Most of it is VBR MP3 plus a little FLAC. Real audiophile setups would be overkill.

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #88 of 112

The ANC on beats studios is good but when you are in your local Apple store see if they have a set of Bose Quietcomfort 15's out on display to try out, and just try it for the ANC function, not playing music, there's a switch on one of the ear cups side with green LCD to show on - I guarantee you - you will be blown away by how good it is - it's like putting the world into mute - like a 100 times more powerful than the beats ANC and I'm not exaggerating - I stood like a clown for 10mins in store just putting them on and taking them off just wowing over the contrast, it really is a OMG how is this doing this moment - definitely worth experiencing - BOSE are world leaders in ANC technology by a long shot :cool:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/YDPVryZ773w[/VIDEO]​

TIHUKXj.jpg

7j298SU.jpg

mWaUnyX.jpg

F1QxmkG.jpg

Right you are, my friend!

I'm never satisfied with "stock" consumer hardware/software. I have to add a bit of my own flair to everything I own :rolleyes:  

I've done a lot of modding with Beats ANC chips, too!

Not really looking for ANC... I don't need it.  It is better done on the Beats than on my Sennheiser PXC 310 BT (on-ear folding wireless headphones), but not as well as on my Parrot Ziks.  I hear and believe, but have not personally witnessed, that Bose does active noise cancellation better than any others.

(Oh, and I am on a fixed income... purchase of a Solo 2.0 advances the day I run out of money by one day!)
I actually was talking to a guy the other day who said that the really high end ANC sennheisers do ANC better than Bose... Of course, I don't know if it was fanboying or not lol... So, vantt... Seeing the mods you do always makes me smile. And, I really hate beats audio. I showed my friend the difference between sound on beats devices and non beats devices, and he said, the beats audio sounds like schiit. I offered to take it off his computer, and I deleted it. The beats audio then proceeded to REINSTALL ITSELF like a virus. I was pissed. So, I deleted it again, went into program manager, saw what was reinstalling it, did a quick internet search, and I had to go into the audio plugins and disable the HP program, and select stock instead... Now, he doesn't have beats audio on his hp anymore, and now he can use it for studio production with me. (he's my co-producer. The beats just obscured detail and boosted upper bass and made everything boomy. I can't have that happen if me and him are using it for studio work.)

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #89 of 112
Same here; I like headphones and all, but I don't like them so much as to have such a cumbersome setup. Mine's just my headphone+my smartphone. Besides, my music is all digital. I don't have any vinyls lying around or a big collection of CDs or anything. Most of it is VBR MP3 plus a little FLAC. Real audiophile setups would be overkill.
not exactly... I find that there is a minute difference between 320kbps files and flac. It doesn't make as big of a difference as most people on this site make it out to be imo... PLUS I LOVE HEDPWNS. I just carry around cumbersome equipment 'ERRYWHERE. 10 foot headphone cable, 2 foot amp cable, amp, phone, and headphones...

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #90 of 112
not exactly... I find that there is a minute difference between 320kbps files and flac. It doesn't make as big of a difference as most people on this site make it out to be imo... PLUS I LOVE HEDPWNS. I just carry around cumbersome equipment 'ERRYWHERE. 10 foot headphone cable, 2 foot amp cable, amp, phone, and headphones...

I know there is that tiny difference between 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC, but I don't really care about that difference enough to drastically change my setup. Most of the time when I listen to music it is to pass the time - when I'm commuting, doing assignments etc. As long as the sound quality is OK for my standards, whatever I'm doing at the time often takes precedence in how much I care about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back