Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Aug 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #61 of 444
I wonder how Solo 2 sounds with Dre's Still D.R.E.

I've never had a Beats phone, I've always found them terrible. I have no prejudice though, maybe finally they did something right. The build quality still seems horrible, however. I'll try them at the Apple Store sometime this week.

Tyll, how do you think Solo 2 compared to Onkyo ES-HF300 and Beyer T51? Which one would you buy? I listen to EDM, pop, indie/alternative, jazz...

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #62 of 444
  I wonder how Solo 2 sounds with Dre's Still D.R.E.

I've never had a Beats phone, I've always found them terrible. I have no prejudice though, maybe finally they did something right. The build quality still seems horrible, however. I'll try them at the Apple Store sometime this week.

Tyll, how do you think Solo 2 compared to Onkyo ES-HF300 and Beyer T51? Which one would you buy? I listen to EDM, pop, indie/alternative, jazz...

Build quality? 
blink.gif

Build quality on the solo2 is very good 
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #63 of 444
Build quality? :blink:

Build quality on the solo2 is very good :wink:

I agree. They seem sturdy enough to me, it's not like I'm gonna be wrestling with them on or something.

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #64 of 444
  Build quality? 
blink.gif

Build quality on the solo2 is very good 
wink.gif

Uh ok... Previous Beats phones didn't seem of high quality to me, maybe it's the all plastic build that gives such impression. I'll try Solo 2...

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #65 of 444
I gotta admit.... coming from headphones like the hd25, over ear senn momentum and amperior (arrived today).... the solo2 sounds indeed pretty good, its pretty confortable, nice soundstage. Unfortunately the build is plastic but nonetheless i really liked the sound... one thing i would like to ask though.... Are the solo2's a durable headphone? I am asking this because they store were i has a pair for try outs for about 3 weeks.... i tested this guys about a week ago and they sounded fine but a week later the right driver was already blown.... i know they are probably the most tried headphones in the entire store (also the selection is not that great, b&w p3's and senns hd400 line are the other ones available to try there.... XD ) but still.... 

What do you guys think? Guys who have owned the solo2's for a while know, wich are your biggest complaints towars the build quality....?

Once again i have to admit.... i just bought a pair of sennheiser amperiors and i am sticking with this guys because i absolutely love them, but this beats sounded pretty good indeed.... 

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #66 of 444
How does the Beats Solo 2 sound in comparison to the B&W P7 and Focal headphones? 

Aug 20, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #67 of 444
  These measurements look really good, better than some flagship super expensive headphones. And only $200 wow.

Would anyone recommend these for bassheads? I'm currently using mostly Denon D1100, Beyer 770pro and JVC SZ2000, but I'm looking for something more compact and nicer looking. Thanks.

I took a quick look at it and it measures better than the $1500 AKG K812 if I'm not mistaken?

Aug 20, 2014 at 7:01 AM Post #68 of 444
  How does the Beats Solo 2 sound in comparison to the B&W P7 and Focal headphones? 

For me the Solo2 are not in the same league really.  Thats not too say the Solo2 are badin any way its just that the P7 to my ears do everything better and they are better built.

I tried the Solo2 in a local store a couple of days back and was quite impressed with the sound quality from my Spotify tracks on the Galaxy S5.  Bass seemed better controlled to past Beats offerings that I've heard.  They also felt really comfy on the ears.  If I didnt already have the P7 and the B+O H6 then I would maybe consider buying them.

One thing to take into account here in the UK.  The H6 can still be had for £179 for the blue edition which is only £10 more than the rrp of the Solo2.  Again for me the H6 is another phone that does everything better than the Solo2 and maybe a better spend of your money.

Despite saying all this there is a little part of me tempted to buy the Solo2 as I did quite like the comfort and sound from them.

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #69 of 444
I gotta admit.... coming from headphones like the hd25, over ear senn momentum and amperior (arrived today).... the solo2 sounds indeed pretty good, its pretty confortable, nice soundstage. Unfortunately the build is plastic but nonetheless i really liked the sound... one thing i would like to ask though.... Are the solo2's a durable headphone? I am asking this because they store were i has a pair for try outs for about 3 weeks.... i tested this guys about a week ago and they sounded fine but a week later the right driver was already blown.... i know they are probably the most tried headphones in the entire store (also the selection is not that great, b&w p3's and senns hd400 line are the other ones available to try there.... XD ) but still.... 

What do you guys think? Guys who have owned the solo2's for a while know, wich are your biggest complaints towars the build quality....?

Once again i have to admit.... i just bought a pair of sennheiser amperiors and i am sticking with this guys because i absolutely love them, but this beats sounded pretty good indeed.... 

I've had the solo2 from day of release in UK and no issues whatsoever or beats build quality in general - I've prior models of solo HD monochromatic, Studio 2.0, mixr etc and they all work as perfect as the day I got them :)

Aug 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #70 of 444
I've had the solo2 from day of release in UK and no issues whatsoever or beats build quality in general - I've prior models of solo HD monochromatic, Studio 2.0, mixr etc and they all work as perfect as the day I got them
smily_headphones1.gif

How's the sub-bass mate?

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #71 of 444

How's the sub-bass mate?

Out of all the beats current range of cans, the solo2 is the most reserved in the bass dept for sure, but still not at the expense of alienating beats bass fans, as this is still a warm sounding headphone, just not as hot as other models - but in a good way.

But, rather than a bass heavy headphone, the solo2's bass is more defined and punchy, which is why I guess is reason to why its been discussed already as a audiophile basshead headphone which in itself is pretty hot 
evil_smiley.gif

Definitely worth auditioning at your local Apple store if you're in the market for a portable on ear headphone with a refined fun sound 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #72 of 444
It is so funny though… Before Mister Tyll said some good of the Solo2, no one ever dare to post something positive about these. I can't imagine that no one ever tried the Solo2. So all we had was people complaining about a headphone they hadn't tried. Or they tried them, and refuse to believe what they were hearing… just because of Beats!

Even more funny, is that now, after Tyll's review, every one starts to say good things about these.

It may be time that we trust our own ears, in lieu of trusting someone else's ears.

Just saying.
hey... I couldn't believe it when I listened to the studio 2's for the first time. I was astounded. They were the best headphones I had heard at that point. I've been saying they were fantastic since at least 4 months ago I believe? It turned me from a beats hater into a beats liker. I now have a few audiophile cans in my collection... I dont want to put 200$ into a portable headphone... But if I get a good price on a used solo2, I'll be buying it. Loved it when auditioned in the stores. It took me a few weeks after I tried the studio 2 to get over that it was a beats headphone, but now my perception of the brand has changed completely. I've been praising them publicly since before the solo 2 came out.

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #73 of 444
I took a quick look at it and it measures better than the $1500 AKG K812 if I'm not mistaken?
umm... The solo2 is nowhere even near comparable to a flagship I'm pretty sure. Tyll doesn't like the K812 for some reason. CB has the K812 for comparison if you want to ask. :wink: no offense to solo2. Great for its price.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #74 of 444
hey... I couldn't believe it when I listened to the studio 2's for the first time. I was astounded. They were the best headphones I had heard at that point. I've been saying they were fantastic since at least 4 months ago I believe? It turned me from a beats hater into a beats liker. I now have a few audiophile cans in my collection... I dont want to put 200$ into a portable headphone... But if I get a good price on a used solo2, I'll be buying it. Loved it when auditioned in the stores. It took me a few weeks after I tried the studio 2 to get over that it was a beats headphone, but now my perception of the brand has changed completely. I've been praising them publicly since before the solo 2 came out.

This just can be good for the community, and everyone in fact.

If I remember correctly Aristotle's syllogism :
Mass market buy mainstream products.
Mainstream headphones WAS bad.
Mass market WAS having bad sound.

But now :
Mass market still buy mainstream products.
Mainstream headphones are greatly improving.
Mass market are experiencing better sound.

Tyll got it well when ending his review : "So, good job Dr Dre! You really are giving people the sound as the artist intended it, thank you very much, I really, really appreciate that.".

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #75 of 444
umm... The solo2 is nowhere even near comparable to a flagship I'm pretty sure. Tyll doesn't like the K812 for some reason. CB has the K812 for comparison if you want to ask.
wink.gif
no offense to solo2. Great for its price.

You'd be surprised if you look at the %THD measurements for example, the Beats Solo2 "beat" the $1500 AKG K812. I'm not saying the Solo2 sounds better than a flagship headphone, I'm only saying that the measurements look pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back