Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Aug 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #91 of 444
LoL - Thinksound's look has purpose - they are going for the zero carbon footprint organic look using reclaimed materials including the wood used, which I guess is a noble step away from the industry norm.

I've conversed with Thinksound's CEO, Mr.Aaron Fournier, gracious enough to reply to my email to him I sent praising his mighty sounding On1 on ears headphone.

If you heard this can young dubs, I'd chance your aesthetic dislikes may very well disintegrate - they sound IMO, class leading
wink.gif

Party!

Cool, - have you ever visited the white Isle yourself?

Believe me, you need a fortnight to recover from it - it's back 2 back partying till the morning, then there's the outdoor fun in the sun parties
biggrin.gif

Nowhere else will you find such a concentration of the worlds finest spinners all congregated in one place during party season - it's quite hedonistic to say the least - and still quite a blur to me, but I still remember clubs like Eden's midweek Godskitchen night with Judge Jules, Ferry Corsten, Es Paradis with Ann Savage, Amnesia which when we were there had Tiesto do a full 8 hour set - man it was hot in there and heaving, the place was packed to capacity and Club Pacha's Ministry of Sound's night with...er....that's where things go very blurry - lol
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, @Tyll Hertsens a cool guy for sure - but just so there's no misunderstanding - I'm not related to him in any way - I'm just an average Joe that he's been kind enough to reply to.

IMO, Tyll's solo2 review is one of the most significant and important ones in....a generation? Why? Because Mr.Hertsens knows full well that it's the beats solo2 headphone that is going to deliver quality audio to the masses - and no other headphone brand has the capability of doing so. Also, he's not afraid to tell it as it is - you can tell by the beginning of his YT review video by his sharp intake of breath that he knows full well he's just about to drop the beats bomb, that the blast waves are still fanning out across the audio global community as we speak.

And for me, that deserves so much - respect
smily_headphones1.gif
as does other pioneers of the evolution of the beats sound like @HiFiGuy528
wink.gif

If there's such a thing as a gateway drug, then beats is the audio equivalent for sure - it was for me, just I didn't forget about Dre
wink.gif

I have watched the film you mention - but not all the way to the end - I will have to return to it, though what I did see of it was so sad to watch a DJ loosing his hearing, yet in denial of it
frown.gif

A film I love for it laughs and awesome Ibiza soundtrack is "Kev & Perry Go Large" - lol - that flick cracks me up every time
biggrin.gif

Currently listening to my solo2's with Skrillex'feat. Ellie Goulding "Summit" which really showcases the solo2's sub bass qualities, but I'll have to check the Philips L2 sometime soon for sure - are you going to give your impressions of yours anytime? I'd be interested on your further thoughts for sure
wink.gif

Me with my red solo2's listening to Skrilex, just now - lol
http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1176247/beats-solo2-product-red/sort/display_order/

Skrillex feat. Ellie Goulding - "Summit"
http://youtu.be/-e_3Cg9GZFU

Also definitely worth a mention of a reviewer right here on Head-Fi that I have a ton of respect for - @MacedonianHero, whom I believe is going to add the solo2 sometime soon to his current highly successful and kick ass thread found here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-21-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around

No, I haven't. I have a summer house by the Mediterranean sea in the Aegean region of Turkey, I go there mostly for summer holidays. I go abroad for cultural travel mostly, however I want to visit Ibiza one day to see those parties you mention. That said, I guess late 90s (1995-99) were the legendary times for Ibiza and trance genre. Oh and I like the French riviera too, been there a few times.

I'll see that film. It looks quite funny. Have you seen Human Traffic? I think it's my favourite film about clubbing. :) Also The Inbetweeners 2 seems interesting. The first one had some funny club moments. :)

You know I'm not really a Skrillex fan, but Summit is a very good track indeed. I'll surely write my thoughts on L2 and will let you know when I do. I just want to give it some burn-in time and try it with different songs and genres.

That's a nice face bro. Haha, you guys (you and Hawaiibadboy in the basshead forum) make me laugh all the time I see your hilarious posts. :) I wonder if that guy's Japanese. He reminds me of these crazy Japanese guys in the film Tokyo Drift (an amazing film by the way).

So have you heard Chord Hugo? It's got amazing bass extension, goes very very low. I haven't head a chance to try but everyone says it pairs amazingly well with Fostex TH600/900. I'm sure you'll love it with your basshead headphones.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #92 of 444

No, I haven't. I have a summer house by the Mediterranean sea in the Aegean region of Turkey, I go there mostly for summer holidays. I go abroad for cultural travel mostly, however I want to visit Ibiza one day to see those parties you mention. That said, I guess late 90s (1995-99) were the legendary times for Ibiza and trance genre. Oh and I like the French riviera too, been there a few times.

I'll see that film. It looks quite funny. Have you seen Human Traffic? I think it's my favourite film about clubbing. :) Also The Inbetweeners 2 seems interesting. The first one had some funny club moments. :)

You know I'm not really a Skrillex fan, but Summit is a very good track indeed. I'll surely write my thoughts on L2 and will let you know when I do. I just want to give it some burn-in time and try it with different songs and genres.

That's a nice face bro. Haha, you guys (you and Hawaiibadboy in the basshead forum) make me laugh all the time I see your hilarious posts. :) I wonder if that guy's Japanese. He reminds me of these crazy Japanese guys in the film Tokyo Drift (an amazing film by the way).

So have you heard Chord Hugo? It's got amazing bass extension, goes very very low. I haven't head a chance to try but everyone says it pairs amazingly well with Fostex TH600/900. I'm sure you'll love it with your basshead headphones.

I got to hear the Chord Hugo with my SE846's at the L.A. Head-Fi Meet.  It was my favorite portable DAP/amp of the meet!  Awe inspiring, to say the least.  Smooth, extended, very broad soundstage, are just a few words to describe it.  And I love how it connects via lightning cable to my iPhone 5.  Just lovely.

Aug 22, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #93 of 444

Your summer house sounds like a nice retreat to look forward to, I've been to Turkey once before and Cyprus, Ayia Napa region a few times in that part of the world and find the people friendly and climate fantastic for vacations.

Not seen Human Traffic, but will add to my list of must watch films for sure. The most recent films I've seen at the cinema are Transformers: Age of Extinction (amazing sub bass sound effects vibrating through my legs in some parts of film) and 22nd Jump Street - absolutely hilarious - the entire cinema audience was doubled over in stitches - definitely recommended if you haven't already seen it :D

Hawaiibadboy is from Hawaii but from what I understand teaches English in Japan, but yeah, he's a good guy who's created a pretty unique thread that's a lot of fun to be part of - cool guy who loves his extreme bass for sure :cool:

I've just replied to your post on Extreme Bass Club thread regarding the Chord Hugo - it does peak my interest just by the amount of rave reviews it's received. I'd most likely consider it as a portable on the go option as I currently use the FOSTEX HP-A8 amp/DAC for my TH600 & TH900's at present which does a fine job, and if anything, I've got far too much gear in general already - maybe need to stop acquiring and start concentrating on what I've already got - or maybe grow another 10 or so heads - lol :D

--------------------​

Lachlan likes a thing aka a_recording here on Head-Fi - his recent YT ThingCast, where the topic is self explanatory -"The Steady Beats of Progress" - the new solo2 is discussed along with Tyll Hertsens solo2 review and the subsequent audio communities reaction to it, in addition to many other aspects of beats solo2 covered.

This video runs long at just over 50mins but is nonetheless interesting and entertaining to hear Lachlan's take on it all.....

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/sOB4VjXmjkE[/VIDEO]​

And Lachlan's solo2 (blue - nice :)) unboxing video:

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/PWBlz0hNinQ[/VIDEO]​

Check out Lachlan's YT channel for the rest of his views and reviews here :)

Aug 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #94 of 444
I've got red, blue, and white Solo2.  Love this little headphone.  :)  

You guys know that I've been a fan of Beats headphones since the divorce from Monster and I've been telling people here to give their new products a try.  Here's another tip for y'all.  The current Tour 2.0 is a basshead's dream.  Imagine the sound of 15" subs in your ear canal.  :D    Drive the Tour 2.0 on a very good clean amp and I'll come alive.  It can handle volume level that would be dangerous to your health.

Thank you @cb3723
 for your support.

have you seen some of CB's posts in the best bass headphones thread? :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #96 of 444
I have purposely not read this thread, just dropping my post in here, and walking out again...

I auditioned a couple of days ago, most of the Beats line, and - what makes me laugh is just how bad the TOTL (£350 UK retail, but don't remember the name) Beats are - when compared to - the Solo 2...

They're personally not my thing (but definitely not terrible for the price!), however - I can say that the Solo 2 comfortably beats the living hell out of the TOTL Beats, and - considering they're only about half the price, it does make me interested as to what will happen when the whole of the product line gets refreshed.

[Edit - seems that math was never my strong point :wink:]

Aug 24, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #97 of 444
I have purposely not read this thread, just dropping my post in here, and walking out again...

I auditioned a couple of days ago, most of the Beats line, and - what makes me laugh is just how bad the TOTL (£350 UK retail, but don't remember the name) Beats are - when compared to - the Solo 2...

They're personally not my thing (but definitely not terrible for the price!), however - I can say that the Solo 2 comfortably beats the living hell out of the TOTL Beats, and - considering they're only about half the price, it does make me interested as to what will happen when the whole of the product line gets refreshed.

[Edit - seems that math was never my strong point
wink.gif
]

Duncan, I'm not going to read your post - I'm just going to reply to it then walk out.

I'm guessing your post is to congratulate everyone on this thread who had the audiophile insight to have recognised the solo2 prior to Tyll's review, agree with all my posts on this thread, then propose a toast to Dr Dre himself?

I'll not bother checking to see if I'm right as I'm pretty confident in my forecast and find I'm rarely wrong on these type of things.

So, all that remains for me to say is welcome to the beats new world that we now live in - truly it can be said "we are not in Kansas anymore"

Salute!

beerchug.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

and don't forget - I told you so about beats ages ago, but I won't bring it up as I'm glad you are now an avid beats fan and have now seen the light :wink: :bigsmile_face:

Dre the beats be with you....and always...
deadhorse.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #98 of 444
and don't forget - I told you so about beats ages ago, but I won't bring it up as I'm glad you are now an avid beats fan and have now seen the light :wink: :bigsmile_face:

Dre the beats be with you....and always...
deadhorse.gif

Now now :wink:

I'm saying that the 2014 newest model is okay (bordering on good!) for the price, but one right doesn't make up for many many wrongs...

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #99 of 444
Now now
wink.gif

I'm saying that the 2014 newest model is okay (bordering on good!) for the price, but one right doesn't make up for many many wrongs...

I was only joking M8 
bigsmile_face.gif

The solo2 replaces the solo HD monochromatic, which is a very good sounding headphone too - not as refined, but the penultimate solo in the beats evolution of sound that led to the solo2.

Tylls reference to original model is in ref to the original Monster beats solo he reviewed in 2011.

The new Studio and Studio Wireless are very accomplished sounding cans with good form of function and the mixr is an awesome DJ headphone, IMO.

I think the only model not been given a revision is the beats pro, though I'd expect its on the cards.

How did you audition the beats range if you don't mind me asking? - Apple store?

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #100 of 444
How did you audition the beats range if you don't mind me asking? - Apple store?
Not very scientifically, has to be said...

In HMV, using their display stand, so source could've been EQ'd, but I live in the vain hope of impartiality / non-bias (afterall, if they were trying to bias opinion / increase revenue / sales - I would've thought they would EQ up the TOTL product, not have it sound quite bad compared to its cheaper stablemate)...

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #101 of 444
Not very scientifically, has to be said...

In HMV, using their display stand, so source could've been EQ'd, but I live in the vain hope of impartiality / non-bias (afterall, if they were trying to bias opinion / increase revenue / sales - I would've thought they would EQ up the TOTL product, not have it sound quite bad compared to its cheaper stablemate)...

Oh, HMV may possibly be the worst place to audition any headphone - last time I went in half the demo cans were broken - either music only coming out of one earcup or a loud buzzing noise 
frown.gif

Apple stores are usually considerably better to audition in store, every time I've been to my local  store all the demos are in full working order.

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #103 of 444
They were in working order in HMV too, no problem there, just stating opinion that the Solo 2 sounds substantially better to me than the £350 model

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #104 of 444
They were in working order in HMV too, no problem there, just stating opinion that the Solo 2 sounds substantially better to me than the £350 model

I'm starting a beats solo2 cult following thread shortly - you can join if you want but solo2 ownership is a requirement, so you'll need to decide which colour you want to avoid procrastinating :cool: :p :D :rolleyes:

edit: lol - forgot to ask - how long were you in HMV for if you auditioned beats entire range? I bet security were starting to get worried :D

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #105 of 444
May have to join your Solo2 cult thread later this week.

I said earlier in the thread that I tried them briefly in a local PCWorld and felt that although good I preferred my P7 and H6.  Despite this though there was something about the sound that I liked so I've ordered the red ones and should be here Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back