Beats Solo 2: Is the Head-Fi community willing to give these a fair chance?
Aug 16, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #31 of 444
  It is so funny though… Before Mister Tyll said some good of the Solo2, no one ever dare to post something positive about these. I can't imagine that no one ever tried the Solo2. So all we had was people complaining about a headphone they hadn't tried. Or they tried them, and refuse to believe what they were hearing… just because of Beats!

Even more funny, is that now, after Tyll's review, every one starts to say good things about these.

It may be time that we trust our own ears, in lieu of trusting someone else's ears.

Just saying.

I don't want to dismiss Tyll's ears here. I will ever and forever trust him in his reviews.

No, I think you had it right the first time, but I do try to be fair and balanced....or something like that. 

And yeah, I thunk it's pretty funny.....well, weird really, that there were so few comments about this headphone. I think people were picking it up and either heard it sound good....and then say, "No way!" or "I think I need to see an audiologist."  Or they heard it and persuaded their head into believing that it sounded bad.

Anyway, more than anything I'm glad I found another good headphone to write about, regardless of who makes it.

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #32 of 444
  Thanks man will look into this. I appreciate it very much. And do you have your own review? I'd be happy to read some of your own insights.

Cheers

No worries, sound22.  If Apple/Beats gave me one to create a review for them, I would most definitely create a review.  I do not feel it's appropriate for me to create a proper lengthy review based on my demoing of the Beats Solo 2 (or anything else I've demoed for a short amount of time.)

I don't know what's fancy with "Targé"… With the accent, in French, it's pronounced "tar-guay", and even in French, we say "tar-get"...

wink_face.gif

The word "Targé" is not supposed to be literal.  You find the definition from urbandictionary.com.  It could be spelled "tarjay", or how I originally spelled it in another post: "Targeé " (as I originally saw it on urbandictionary.com.)  Then a person posted/responded (in French) that I have the accent on the wrong E.  So I changed it to "Targé".  And now...this. 
tongue_smile.gif
   Nowhere in my previous post did I say that this was translated to French, I said this was a fancy way to say Target (meaning some people believe or make a joke of Target as a fancy place to shop.)  How I spelled it is simply the fancy way to say target (at least how I have heard in California/television in the United States.)

It is so funny though… Before Mister Tyll said some good of the Solo2, no one ever dare to post something positive about these. I can't imagine that no one ever tried the Solo2. So all we had was people complaining about a headphone they hadn't tried. Or they tried them, and refuse to believe what they were hearing… just because of Beats!

Even more funny, is that now, after Tyll's review, every one starts to say good things about these.

It may be time that we trust our own ears, in lieu of trusting someone else's ears.

Just saying.

I know that I posted very early on the Beats Solo 2 (prior to Mr. Tyll's review), because I could care less what others think of regarding the company, their overall design or perceived market they 'target'.  The first generation of Beats really weren't everyone's cup of tea, but the Solo 2 is real competitor for their price point and sounds better than most, if not all of the over-ear headphones (in this price point) I've listened to.

I don't want to dismiss Tyll's ears here. I will ever and forever trust him in his reviews.

I respect Mr. Tyll and every reviewer, but nothing, absolutely nothing, beats (pun intended) your own ears.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #33 of 444
No, I think you had it right the first time, but I do try to be fair and balanced....or something like that.

And yeah, I thunk it's pretty funny.....well, weird really, that there were so few comments about this headphone. I think people were picking it up and either heard it sound good....and then say, "No way!" or "I think I need to see an audiologist." Or they heard it and persuaded their head into believing that it sounded bad.

Anyway, more than anything I'm glad I found another good headphone to write about, regardless of who makes it.

You've gained a new level of respect from me for sure - I already respected your highly to start with from reading and watching your numerous headphone reviews on YT and innerfidelity but I always thought high profile reviewers like yourself would ultimately find it too taboo to give a very positive review of a beats headphone no matter how good it was.

But your awarding the solo2 to the wall of fame happily proved me wrong :cool:

My beats thread you accredited on your written review on innerfidelity (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/time-rethink-beats-solo2-excellent) I started on the 1st June and ran only three days before being locked down, yet in that very short time built eight pages of content, (ironic that my thread was the only one you could find that ran more than a couple of posts, so you used it by default, such a shame that it was shut down like many positive beats thread seem to suffer, but I appreciate your positive comments on it, as it kinda validates that it was worthwhile and had valid content).

Within my former thread I gave my impressions of the solo2, but the way my impressions impact or influence compared to how your impressions are received are like night and day, as I'm just another headfier that can be marginalised by beats haters as somebody who doesn't know what quality sound, sounds like, but when someone like yourself makes a justifiable glowing solo2 review - well those same folks are left scratching their heads.

Your solo2 review is like an atomic explosion going off - I just hope it's force manages to blow some beats bashers egos away and let them take in your review with a fresh slate mind set :D

From what I understand beats have a new model of mixr due for release shortly (mixr2), let's hope their new evolution of sound continues in the same vain as the wall of fame solo2 and I hope and look forward to your review/impressions on that headphone also :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #34 of 444

And yeah, I thunk it's pretty funny.....well, weird really, that there were so few comments about this headphone. I think people were picking it up and either heard it sound good....and then say, "No way!" or "I think I need to see an audiologist."  Or they heard it and persuaded their head into believing that it sounded bad.

I don't know - I hold Head-Fi'ers in higher esteem for the most part. I for one just haven't picked one up to listen. Certainly past performance and current bias play into the decision to pass them by when shopping at local retail establishments. (That and the odd glob of someone else's hair gel. But (at least for me) if I were to put them on and they sounded brilliant - I wouldn't worry that peer pressure or flame wars would keep me from announcing I liked them - or that they were much more competent than they used to be. 

There are huge, well read threads here describing headphones that either punch above their weight class or otherwise performed different than expectations. To be honest, they just aren't that important for me to think that hard about them. 

The last time I listened to headphones at Target, I listened to the Beats as well as a couple of pair of Sonys and a couple of pair of Skullcandys - I thought the Aviator sounded much better than I was expecting - and mentioned it on threads here....

I think it isn't that folks don't want to admit they like the new Beats product, it's more that they lack the intellectual curiosity to care a great deal. But bravo for them - I would rather they sounded good - they do prop up the industry with their marketing - the more people in the market for a set of $300-$400 cans is good for the industry as a whole.

Rant over.
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #35 of 444

That's the essence of a good reviewer, impartiality first.
I will wait for your review if Bose ever put out, say, an OEHD/AEHD instead of reading here any faux/fake-review that just put it 6 feet under without any serious testing.

The word "Targé" is not supposed to be literal.  You find the definition from urbandictionary.com.  It could be spelled "tarjay", or how I originally spelled it in another post: "Targeé " (as I originally saw it on urbandictionary.com.)  Then a person posted/responded (in French) that I have the accent on the wrong E.  So I changed it to "Targé".  And now...this. 
tongue_smile.gif
   Nowhere in my previous post did I say that this was translated to French, I said this was a fancy way to say Target (meaning some people believe or make a joke of Target as a fancy place to shop.)  How I spelled it is simply the fancy way to say target (at least how I have heard in California/television in the United States.)

Beats are also sale at Wal-Marté 
wink_face.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #36 of 444
Well, after reading all those posts, I'm actually relieving from having stated that Solo2 was better than P5.

Plus, I've been quoted by Tyll himself at my 49th post. Wow!

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #37 of 444
These measurements look really good, better than some flagship super expensive headphones. And only $200 wow.

Would anyone recommend these for bassheads? I'm currently using mostly Denon D1100, Beyer 770pro and JVC SZ2000, but I'm looking for something more compact and nicer looking. Thanks.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #38 of 444
  These measurements look really good, better than some flagship super expensive headphones. And only $200 wow.

Would anyone recommend these for bassheads? I'm currently using mostly Denon D1100, Beyer 770pro and JVC SZ2000, but I'm looking for something more compact and nicer looking. Thanks.

I would say I'm a basshead (quality/some quantity) and I would recommend these.  Measurements (if you are talking about graphs) are nice, but some nuances of the music/sounds we hear can not be recorded with graphs and equipment.  And yes, for $200, they are great headphones that not only have great bass, but implore and impart a musical signature to your ears as well.  Check it out for yourself and bring your portable rig if you have one to make your own decision if they are right for you.  Good luck! 
k701smile.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #39 of 444

I would say I'm a basshead (quality/some quantity) and I would recommend these.  Measurements (if you are talking about graphs) are nice, but some nuances of the music/sounds we hear can not be recorded with graphs and equipment.  And yes, for $200, they are great headphones that not only have great bass, but implore and impart a musical signature to your ears as well.  Check it out for yourself and bring your portable rig if you have one to make your own decision if they are right for you.  Good luck! 
k701smile.gif

Thanks, I'll check them out at the store
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #40 of 444
I'm excited that Beats may be revamping it's whole lineup to sound really good. If your average consumer is getting better sound quality on average then this is nothing but a win for us.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #41 of 444
Ever since Beats took over the production of their products from Monster, I've been saying they are making good headphones.  I'm happy to see Tyll decided to review the Solo2 without any audiophile bias. :)

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #42 of 444

Beats are also sale at Wal-Marté 
wink_face.gif

Can also pick up a "Le Big Mac" over at Mickey D's when you are out shopping.

Aug 17, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #43 of 444
Ever since Beats took over the production of their products from Monster, I've been saying they are making good headphones.  I'm happy to see Tyll decided to review the Solo2 without any audiophile bias. :)

Big ups to the original Head-Fi Beats Appreciators Crew!

Bro - we are just way ahead of our time, but thank The Lord the likes of legends like yourself and now Mr.Tyll Hertsens have finally opened the eyes of the masses and dealt the heaviest of sucker punches to all beats haters :cool:

We're all here for the love of audio and the gear we choose to play it through - let's hope Beats as a credible brand for the audiophile world will be warmly welcomed just as I and you more so have done already for some time now and now Mr.Hertsens has finally sealed the deal.

Looking forward to your upcoming unboxing videos dude, especially the much anticipated mixr2 headphone - the original already a firm favourite headphone in the DJ can category for me 4 sho :D

Hard to believe that the solo2 is now being discussed here on head-fi as an audiophile basshead headphone.

Maximum respect to the pioneers of all that has come before Tyll's atomic bomb of a review - and you are one of those pioneers, Hifiguy528 and deserve many big-ups :cool:

The beats revolution started before Tyll's review of the amazing solo2, Hifiguy528 played a big part in that - the fuse was lit - Tyll just detonated the beats bomb, only this bomb is not of destruction but construction :wink:

This is the dawn of a new beats age where all hate and old prejudices have hopefully been blown to oblivion - it's a beats new world...

For those who think solo2 is a one trick pony - check previous released models such as already mentioned beats mixr and Studio 2.0 wireless, and check Hifiguy528's YouTube channel for the latest and greatest headphone unboxing videos of beats and every other brand relevant in the headcan world :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hifiguy528

Recommended tracks for the solo2 v

Dr Dre feat. Eminem - "Forgot about Dre"
http://youtu.be/E5a93wABHNM
Prophetic Lyrics 4 sure
("Ya'll know me still the same OG
But I been low key
Hated on by most these
you'd better bow down on both knees")

"Don't call it a come back, I've been here for years"
http://youtu.be/vimZj8HW0Kg

"turn down for what?"
http://youtu.be/HMUDVMiITOU

Skrillex - "All is fair in love and Brostep"
http://youtu.be/t4YLzEHwRcs

Skrillex "Punch" - "First of the Year"
http://youtu.be/ivpOTb-Z71A
[COLOR=BLACK ]WARNING! The immensity of track + video listened with solo2 cans may reduce some to tears as they behold a new definition of Epic :wink: video made from film "Sucker Punch" which is equally - Epic :) "CALL 911 NOW!" :eek:[/COLOR]

Let's hope Head-Fi sees a new influx of new members of beats owners here at head-fi, no longer hesitant to join here due to the hate, but happy to be loud and proud of their beats cans just as other members currently do over their individual favourite brands of headphones :)

Oh, and for all those wondering - despite the solo2 blowing up the minds and ears of the audio world at large - Dr Dre still isn't a real doctor :wink: :D

Checked & Wrecked

Wanna see something cool?

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1173175/beats-solo2-now-officially-on-tyll-hertsens-innerfidelity-wall-of-fame-beats-haters-are-kod-and-are-out-for-the-count/ :wink: lol :D Do U Even solo2 Bro?

Disclaimer: This post was made whilst listening to bad ass dubstep with devastating drops, using - my solo2's, blue colour - tomorrow - I'm using my red ones - that is all :D :wink:

Peace :)

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #44 of 444

I hope they'll release a Beats Studio which is better than the NAD HP50 and Focal Spirit Pro/Classic.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #45 of 444
I hope they'll release a Beats Studio which is better than the NAD HP50 and Focal Spirit Pro/Classic.

All current three/four you mention are all very good cans -

Studio's - very good portable (if not on the larger type of portable, but over ears can), no amp req, fun sound, emphasised bass but more reserved than prior beats models, maybe the most comfortable fitting of all three. This review pretty much sums my thoughts on the Studio 2 - this guy nails it for me: http://youtu.be/FMcyEz13t1Q

NAD HP50 - I find this can really shines with amp (I currently use 24V Fiio E12DIY), but very accomplished with amp, not the best form factor, squared off headband is a bit quirky which doesn't help comfort factor.

Focal Spirit Classic - Sumptuous build, maybe the strongest clamping force out of all three, beautiful crisp and clear SQ, tight controlled bass - maybe the best overall SQ of the three.

Focal Spirit Pro - can't say - don't own or either auditioned, but from reading reviews appears to be a neutral/reference version of the warmer classic? I'll have to check this can sometime as Focal are a kick ass brand for sure.

From what I gather, the next upcoming release from beats is the mixr2 - I love the original mixr can so hope they can build on an already great HP in the same way beats have improved the very good solo HD monochromatic to the solo2 (Tyll's referring to the awful solo can is in reference to the very first model of beats solo made by Monster).

With the solo2 sold just about everywhere and obviously Apple stores, to auditioning the beats solo2 has never been so accessible to so many, so easily for a wall of fame acclaimed true blue audiophile basshead can - who'd have ever thought such words could be made without a torrent of naysayers throwing down hate?.....

......until now :wink:

Such a beautiful thing to see a much maligned brand finally get the respect and dues owed, paid in full :cool:

Suffice to say..."we're not in Kansas anymore"

The beats solo2 has finally arrived to the attention of the personal and pro audio community with serious authority :basshead:

Wonder wot Dre wud say? :D

Currently using my solo2's listening to Skrillex - "All I ask of you" (just open up a little bit more) - I rec this track with the solo2 4 sure :cool:
http://youtu.be/gpC-TRbAouk

A message to former beats haters and other parties I've personally "tangled" with - peace & no hard feelings, we are all here for one common love - music and the gear we choose to use to play it through, whatever that may be.

I'm extending my brofist out to all - just brofist your screen to complete the dream :cool:

Head-Fi Rocks :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back