beats and bose
Feb 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

squirrelboy1210

Head-Fier
why do ppl hate beats and bose, when they're always recommended at best buy and apple stores? the reviews on cnet also show that beats and bose make very good headphones. i was just wondering why ppl hate them. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 62
They're not really hated, they're just not thought highly of. They're both overpriced because they spend so much on marketing. I also think that they're looked down on because they're very mainstream and people around here like finding headphones that the masses don't have.
But, in general, it's just that they're way overpriced for what you get. Subtract about $100 per model and they might be okay.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 62
I can't speak for everybody, I don't hate either of them, but I don't feel they deserve the hype. My belief is that many react to the blind devotion people who purchase these type of somewhat hype-driven products seem to exhibit. It takes all kinds to make the world go round, as long as people are nice, I don't really care what they buy.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 62
Hate? I don't care enough about them to hate them.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 62

Quote:
why do ppl hate beats and bose, when they're always recommended at best buy and apple stores? the reviews on cnet also show that beats and bose make very good headphones. i was just wondering why ppl hate them. 

what is faster. you must know from personal exp. 
lamborghini galardo or bugatti vernon, stock models
Alienware auora PC or ASUS PC

the people at those stores haven't tried enough to know what good is. any headphone that's more expensive than what you have sounds better and thus is rated well. Beats have a cultural and gang following thus the good reviews and teh sound signature is bassy and liked by people that don't know any better.

Bose actually has a decent line, but price to performance and marketing that just gets on my nerves and many things that don't focus on audiophile things..yet with an audiophile price and trying to look like an audiophile headphone company is what makes them not recommended.

i know on cnet there is teh audiophile guttenburg and he is pretty good at this.
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-beats-by-dr/4505-7877_7-33205806.html#reviewPage1

he clearly did not write this. he does not work for cnet but writes some articles for him that represent us head fi as a whole. These people don't know real audiophile sound. they don't know any better. BUT WAIT THEY ARE PRO'S...does that mean anything? governmetns, and everybody mess up and companies too. you see it all the time. you think how the heck could they do that? ..human error or they just didn't know. nobody is perfect. these people aren't. most tech geeks arent audiophiles.

Main points:
people don't know anybetter
price to performance sucks
the people they target ..we dislike their attitutude
the terms they use on audio, make it sound like they wanna be super audio, pretentious, we hate it

i dont' hate beats or bose. they are just overpirced. i sound like i am ranting. i am. i don't hate, its just that all the people that use them and all are balh blah blah and gets on my nerves

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 62
I had Beats 2-3 years ago and liked them back then. They were my first headphones ever, by the way, and broke after 2 months.

After that I've bought the headphones in my sig and I listened to some Bose for the first time in a very long time just a few days ago in a store and all I can say is that they were truly awful compared to those I have now. 

They're good headphones when you haven't heard anything else, but once you've experienced higher-end headphones they're pretty bad. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 62
You know, I heard the Bose AE2 recently and I must say I was surprised. Bose kinda decided to go the other way. Rather than dark and boomy, they were bright and shrill (a little bit). I liked them better, but they're still a $45 headphone at best. I could at least recommend them for one of the top most comfortable headphones if nothing else. It's not always that they suck, they're actually *okay* but waaaay overpriced. And with the same amount of money, you could get something better and not to mention more durable. I think for the money they should at least last for more than a few weeks. I love showing people how durable my M80s are, twisting the headband, throwing them against a wall (okay, I haven't done that one) but I feel like I could if wanted to. And they're really stylish and sound great, they're now my favorite headphone to listen to IM on. It just goes to show that it's always better to do some research than buying the first thing you see at Best Buy.

Oh and uh
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 62
I dont' know if i tried the AE2 or OE2. i liked them actually .it had a good sound..however when it starts comming down to audiophile things like highs lows, depth this and that. it loses out, it was a bit thin and the material was styrophoam and had a mesh ..that wasn't even glued on properly. 
basically i liked the sound signature and it was portable and comfy but audiophiliey speaking had some deficiences that aren't there with other headphones priced at that range and are somewhat portable, it was portable...but the portable job was done cheaply and half heartidly and it was way too pricey. yes the cable is very thin and materials are..dollar store stuff. but ill count that bose used that material to keep it light..ok im fine with that...but why does cheap styrofoam and a mesh that isnt' even glued on properly and a cable that costed cents...worth $150? .....

i know the P5's..don't suit audiophile tastes. but that's it. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 62

Quote:
then how about bowers and wilkins p5s? are they better priced then beats and bose?

They look nice, their performance is...eh in my opinion (and the price is pretty ridiculous). Popular headphone at the apple store, go there and try them out, see if you like them. They look nice, though.

And to answer the original question of the thread, I would say beats and bose aren't "bad", just wildly overpriced. The Beats Studio ($350) would be a decent deal if it was, say, $80-$100 or so. Though even at that price, I'd recommend something like the CAL or Grado SR60i/SR80i before the Beats Studio at $80. They'd sound better, and be more durable.
It isn't exactly surprising, since Monster Cable (who makes the Beats) is well known for making wildly overpriced products. For instance, they make $400 HDMI cables (and some even more expensive). Unfortunately, the quality is identical to a $4 one made by Monoprice, since digital signals either work, or they don't. The only difference between digital cables is durability. So they're charging $400 for a cable that is no better than one 1% of the price.
Bose is similar, but with a different sound signature, which IMO has some minor redeeming qualities, but still nothing worth the price.
A lot of the hate for Beats comes from the fanbase, which has members that strut around and act like they have the greatest sounding device on the planet earth. They can be quite vocal about it too. Obviously, however, this isn't true of all of their fans, I know a number of people with Beats that are very good people.

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 62
Plz note Beats and Monsters have part ways. Monster will continue manufacturing Beats products until the end of the year. As of next year Beats will be made without the Monster logo. Beats will still be able to use all logo's, designs, whatever een though Monster aided them in the designing of the Beats through a deal

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 62

Quote:
then how about bowers and wilkins p5s? are they better priced then beats and bose?

For me, they lacked highs, bass texture (boomy, one note bass), and they could've been more detailed. They sounded overall veiled. You would think a company like B&W would have done better, but I think they should just stick to loudspeakers. I think they're a step up, they were definitely less offensive sounding. Again, they're quite overpriced. Even brands like Sennheiser or AKG makes crap, that's why research is important, if you care enough to do so. Otherwise, you could just buy anything and be happy with it and get something that's okay. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #13 of 62
I worked at best buy like 6-7 years ago. I forget which model, buy the $100 dollar over the ear, and the $100 in ear could have been purchased for half price for best buy employees. So figure half the price is best buys profit, now think of the profit that Bose is making by selling a headphone for $50 to best buy. Think of how much this headphone actually costs to manufacture, don't forget to figure in shipping costs. Oh and don't forget marketing costs.. I imagine the profit margin for beats is similar. These things are crap. And yes i've heard them both. Bose: clumsy. Beats: poor design (no battery = no sound), also they sound like a $70 headphone at best.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #14 of 62

Quote:
Plz note Beats and Monsters have part ways. Monster will continue manufacturing Beats products until the end of the year. As of next year Beats will be made without the Monster logo. Beats will still be able to use all logo's, designs, whatever een though Monster aided them in the designing of the Beats through a deal

True, however, they were designed with the Monster-type business model in mind, and I doubt anything will change when beats drops the monster logo.

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 62

Quote:

True, however, they were designed with the Monster-type business model in mind, and I doubt anything will change when beats drops the monster logo.

yeah me too. what's hilarious is that monster's new headphones and why they broke off from Beats is that they wanted to get into the audiophile industry..they used that exact term and market it towards us..funny thing is. their $300 audiophile headphones look like those bulky gaming ones and....have "designs" and "peronality" to them where you can add stuff to the headband to show who you are............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back