beats and bose
May 31, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #49 of 62
[size=x-small][size=x-small]This is why I do not like Bose:[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Few days ago I visited my Uncle in Colorado. He is a BIG music buff, but not too educated on headphones.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]So he did the majority of people do, went to Best Buy, asked them about "good headphones" and they told [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]him to get a pair of Bose OE.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]He gladly handed them $150 and was on his way. He used them for a year or so, indifferent with his choice.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Then I show up to his house with a pair of my Alessandro MS1. He asked if he could try them. Obviously, [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]he was interested in their strange design and the pair of bright yellow (HD414) ear pads I had on them.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I said, "of course you can try them". I then plugged my MS1 into my (unamped) iPod Nano and put on a ALAC[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Led Zeppelin mix I had made. His face lit up the moment he heard what was coming through them. Then as[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]quick as he smiled, his face went blank.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]He turned to me, "How much did these cost"? I said, "about $100".[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]You could see his brain processing what he was hearing and what he had heard over the last year or so with[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]his Bose OE headphones. And he was VERY disappointed in his purchase, after a year of not knowing any better.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I felt bad.  I just ruined his Bose. Rendered them useless. Took $150 away from his pocket.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I ended up giving him a brand new pair of $7 Monoprice 8320 IEMs (with custom tips). He LOVED them. He [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]could not believe how much better they sounded than his Bose. At least he had something to listen to music[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]on when I left.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small] [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]*** Possible Help Needed ***[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]He will be visiting Chicago in about a month. I plan on buying him a pair inexpensive (On-Ear) headphones.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]I thought about getting him the Incipio F38 Headphones (HM3/FA-004 clones) but the earpads are between [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]on-ear/over ear.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Any suggestions on a nice pair of On-Ear headphones (with decent isolation) for around $40 USD or less?[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]..[/size][/size]

May 31, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:
[size=x-small][size=x-small]This is why I do not like Bose:[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Few days ago I visited my Uncle in Colorado. He is a BIG music buff, but not too educated on headphones.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]So he did the majority of people do, went to Best Buy, asked them about "good headphones" and they told [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]him to get a pair of Bose OE.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]He gladly handed them $150 and was on his way. He used them for a year or so, indifferent with his choice.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Then I show up to his house with a pair of my Alessandro MS1. He asked if he could try them. Obviously, [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]he was interested in their strange design and the pair of bright yellow (HD414) ear pads I had on them.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I said, "of course you can try them". I then plugged my MS1 into my (unamped) iPod Nano and put on a ALAC[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]Led Zeppelin mix I had made. His face lit up the moment he heard what was coming through them. Then as[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]quick as he smiled his face went blank.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]He turned to me, "How much did these cost"? I said, "about $100".[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]You could see his brain processing what he was hearing and what he had heard over the last year or so with[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]his Bose OE headphones. And he was VERY disappointed in his purchase, after a year of not knowing any better.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I felt bad. Cause I just ruined his Bose. Rendered them useless. Took $150 away from his pocket.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I ended up giving him a brand new pair of $7 Monoprice 8320 IEMs (with custom tips). He LOVED them. He [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]could not believe how much better they sounded than his Bose. At least he had something to listen to music[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]on when I left.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small] [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]*** Possible Help Needed ***[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]He will be visiting Chicago in about a month. I plan on buying him a pair inexpensive (On-Ear) headphones.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]I thought about getting him the Incipio F38 Headphones (HM3/FA-004 clones) but the earpads are between [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]on-ear/over ear.[/size][/size]

[size=x-small][size=x-small]Any suggestions on a nice pair of On-Ear headphones (with decent isolation) for around $40 USD or less?[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=x-small]..[/size][/size]

Ever look at the Monoprice 8323? May be a bit bassy for his tastes, though. Maybe the iGrado?

May 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Ever look at the Monoprice 8323? May be a bit bassy for his tastes, though. Maybe the iGrado?

I bought two pairs of the 8323.  They are very much Over-the-ear though.  Plus, both mine had build issues and had to be returned.

Don't think the iGrado will have very good isolation though.  He uses them for traveling.

May 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:
Koss PortaPro, possibly? They probably don't have the best isolation, however. But they do have a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty, which is a nice thing to have.

Ha...   Are you messing with me now?  I own the PortaPros, they have about as much isolation as my MS1s!  Which is next to none.

May 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #54 of 62
Quote:

Ha...   Are you messing with me now?  I own the PortaPros, they have about as much isolation as my MS1s!  Which is next to none.

Didn't know how much isolation he needed (I usually don't need much). I know a few people who have them for travel and quite like them.
Good luck in your search, though.

May 31, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #55 of 62
Just remember, quality is relative to your frame of reference.

Consumer electronics stores (i.e. Best Buy) are the most accessible places to buy audio equipment, so people mistakenly assume that these stores would only carry the best equipment. This ends up being false because consumer electronics stores cater to the lowest-common-denominator (people with the least amount of knowledge and experience), which is obviously the biggest market. The average consumer, with no expertise to fall back on, is the most susceptible to marketing ploys like celebrity branding and product placement. Best Buy knows this, and therefore will choose to sell the products they believe are the most marketable to an inexperienced consumer, rather than stocking lesser-known, higher-quality products. Consequently, the most marketable products end up being highly regarded because they honestly do sound better than anything their owners have heard before. Unfortunately, the average consumer will never be able to hear the plethora of lesser-known options that exists.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #56 of 62
SgtPepper, I totally agree, you honestly nailed it on the head.  

Ironically, My 11 yr old daughter and I drove to Jacksonville FL today to visit our closest, Best Buy store.  I was returning a vacuum cleaner I bought a few years ago under an extended warranty.   The people that work in the Jax store were nice and extremely helpful, this I can say with confidence.   As an "average joe" vacuum buyer, it felt like it was a nice experience.  I am by no means a VacummePhile, but I am sure all the Vacuum connoisseurs on the Vacuum blogs are going ballistic, trashing the hoover I purchased  :)    

I can hear it now,,, "the SOB should of bought the Rainbow or Oreck, what a loser"

Seriously though, after finishing up with my vacuum return, I spent some time looking around and explored the headphone isle.    There were things that I expected, like a full BOSE display and a well laid out Dr. Dre Kiosk with a video display and all their headphones there for sampling.   This Kiosk allowed customers to play tracks, and listen to all the different beats models.    Kind of scary. This Kiosk cost a ton of money too...   

After walking down the double sided row/isle of headphones, what surprised me the most was how few models I recognized.   There are a lot of new rapper endorsed models, some of which I have never heard of before.    There were probably about 40-50 different models on display, but only few of them I could relate to based on all the reading I have done on head-fi site.   I saw a few common Sony models, Low level but overpriced Sennheisers. Koss  PRODJ100 and PRODJ200's, Some hyped up Klipsch models that had really crappy build quality, Lots of SkullCandy, but in all honesty, I did not see anything of interest.  

Even the few pairs of cans that I could relate to, like the Koss PRODJ100's were almost $30 more than what I could buy them for online, with free shipping and no tax!

It was an interesting trip, and it was amazing to witness how few quality models were showcased.  Mostly the ultra crappy stuff was on display, and a ton of new brands I have never heard of before.

Strange ways here we come...

Next time I will remember to bring my video recorder....

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #57 of 62
Quote:

They're marketed as being the headphones he uses in the studio.
That's the whole marketing scheme behind them.

nothing wrong with BOSE, it just overpriced premium which focused heavily on bass prowess. Some non-audiophile ears really like that. 
Also with BEATS, fashion cans with premium tags some non-audiophile ears also like their style and their sound can be quite fun for those ears.
Amateurs kinda like bling-bling things

Jun 8, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

nothing wrong with BOSE, it just overpriced premium which focused heavily on bass prowess. Some non-audiophile ears really like that. 
Also with BEATS, fashion cans with premium tags some non-audiophile ears also like their style and their sound can be quite fun for those ears.
Amateurs kinda like bling-bling things

This is an interesting point, because I have always thought it is futile to tell someone what they should want. One the one hand, I can understand why we Head-Fi'ers try to steer newcomers away from the Beats, but we forget that many people WANT their headphones to sound like the Beats. It's not just that newcomers haven't heard better, but that in many cases they would still prefer the Beats if they heard any properly-amped flagship model like the HD800. In fact, I read posts all the time where Head-Fi'ers let their friends listen to their high-end rigs, and the reaction is often "Yeah I guess it sounds clearer, but where's the bass?"

Which brings me to my next point: the complete obsession and focus on bass quantity as THE standard for sound quality. I would say the majority of the advice threads started by newcomers ask specifically (or exclusively) for bass, bass, and more bass. They literally pop up on a daily basis. What is interesting is that what makes HeadFi'ers despise the Beats (tonal imbalance, lack of detail and soundstage) is often EXACTLY what makes them more enjoyable for some. Now of course it is generally accepted around here that the Beats are grossly overpriced for their sound quality, but this is almost irrelevant when sound quality means something completely different to the general population. The Beats may be a bad buy for us, but for someone who doesn't value what we value, he or she may be happier with them.

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

This is an interesting point, because I have always thought it is futile to tell someone what they should want. One the one hand, I can understand why we Head-Fi'ers try to steer newcomers away from the Beats, but we forget that many people WANT their headphones to sound like the Beats. It's not just that newcomers haven't heard better, but that in many cases they would still prefer the Beats if they heard any properly-amped flagship model like the HD800. In fact, I read posts all the time where Head-Fi'ers let their friends listen to their high-end rigs, and the reaction is often "Yeah I guess it sounds clearer, but where's the bass?"

Which brings me to my next point: the complete obsession and focus on bass quantity as THE standard for sound quality. I would say the majority of the advice threads started by newcomers ask specifically (or exclusively) for bass, bass, and more bass. They literally pop up on a daily basis. What is interesting is that what makes HeadFi'ers despise the Beats (tonal imbalance, lack of detail and soundstage) is often EXACTLY what makes them more enjoyable for some. Now of course it is generally accepted around here that the Beats are grossly overpriced for their sound quality, but this is almost irrelevant when sound quality means something completely different to the general population. The Beats may be a bad buy for us, but for someone who doesn't value what we value, he or she may be happier with them.

Agreed for what you said .... as an audiophile person. 
I got many friends that solely buying things based on brand image & feeling. You knew what i meant? They got a lot of cash.
BOSE & BEATS really smart enough to target these type of frodos. They need Luxury brand, they need fashion-status, they need bling bling things to make them have more status. 
Back to the product, BOSE & BEATS have non-audiophile fun sounding sound signature (very subjective topic, really) that suited best for those kind of customer.
We don't talk about sound accuracy, precision here, it .... just sound so fun (for ameteur ears)
And for build quality i can comment that BEATS or BOSE had nice build quality , ameteur including me got Premium feeling everytime touching them (i never bought them anyway)

The moral here, oldies headphone makers should sell Style too! Because image, premium build quality, style & fun sounding really sell things.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #60 of 62
I recently bought beats and I'm planning on selling them very soon.
Now, I'm not an audiophile, not at all, but even I can hear that the bass is ridiculously over the top and sounds horrible at times. 
I also feel like the sound is muffled 80% of the time. 
At first I was excited because IMO they look nice and you know, it's a cool thing to have, I won't lie.
But after wearing them for a while, I feel like they don't even sound better than the earbuds Samsung gave with my Galaxy Gio.
They just add more bass and that's it. To me.
I'll say it again though, I'm new to the headphone-business, although I have been producing for quite a while. 
I have a thread open where I ask for some advice (http://www.head-fi.org/t/625286/producing) because I'm not completely sure with which headphones I'm going to replace these beats.

Btw I bought my beats at 236 instead of 299 so I might be able to sell them on eBay with some profit. Not very nice of me to let someone else have the terrible sound but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back