Bay Area Meet (California) February 11th, 2012 INTEREST THREAD
Aug 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #61 of 212
Hi Cappuccino,

Reading the links to the last meet and the last meet impressions (with PHOTOS) will give you a good sense of what you might get a chance to see/listen to and some of the folks you might meet.

At the beginning of the 2011 meet thread (fourth post, I think) there is a section for the "new and uninitiated".  That helped me a LOT.

CEE TEE 

As of 9/23/11:  Looking like I will try and book Saturday, February 18th and just keep the one day unless the list really picks up...I have not invited any other vendors yet. 

So, chime in with vendor requests.  (I'll post my additional vendor "wish list" soon...) 

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #62 of 212
If all goes well, I might be able to go. The only thing I'm worried about is I'll stick out, everybody will be way older then me. Maybe it's not for me............

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #63 of 212
Bring your Grados. Try someone else's Grados. Enjoy your music or someone else's music on gear you're not familiar with. Talk to people about what you like, what they like, about this hobby.

You won't stick out; we will all be doing pretty much the same thing.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #64 of 212

Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about is I'll stick out, everybody will be way older then me. Maybe it's not for me............

You don't need to worry about that. There was a high-schooler at a Venice meet down in SoCal earlier this year - and no one even looked twice. In fact, you are probably more out of place if you are in your 40s like me.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #66 of 212
Most definitely count me in!

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #67 of 212
Oh yeah, it's fun to poke fun at the old head-fier's like Purrin!  And you can brag about how good your young ears are. 

Really, these meets are good for everyone, young, old, new, veteran, it's all good!  Loads of fun if you dig head phones!

Quote:
Quote:

You don't need to worry about that. There was a high-schooler at a Venice meet down in SoCal earlier this year - and no one even looked twice. In fact, you are probably more out of place if you are in your 40s like me.

Aug 24, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #68 of 212
Oh really?? Looks like I'm going to have to dye all the grey out of my hair so I can make fun of that old geezer Purin.
I can't believe you actually let those dinosaurs into this meet... sheesh!!

Seriously though, CD sales way down, downloads up, vinyl... way up! There is a real surge of the youth getting into hi-fi. Raised in the CD era and hoppin to 128k iTunes for years, many have discovered (yes disk-overed) turntables and LP's are amazing. My nephew is one of them, and it's great to turn him on to great sounding tracks. Serious HD sources and wonderful cans.
So... don't worry about a thing Cappuccino, we old codgers like turning the yourh on to our sonic passion. It brings us much joy... as we fade slowly into the mist... 
wink_face.gif

Another thought about the tracks. Any desire for HD? 24bit-96khz files either LP sourced or downloaded? I could certainly contribute something if there is a want.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #69 of 212
If I am not on the work schedule those dates, I'd love to come!  In fact, I WILL come!

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #70 of 212
Headphone RIOT!!!  We'll make sure to have the DoubleTree cut off cell phone coverage.  We'll all be listening to headphones anyway!

Quote:
If all goes well, I might be able to go. The only thing I'm worried about is I'll stick out, everybody will be way older then me. Maybe it's not for me............

Nooo!!!  We need all the young blood we can get.  Please don't let the odd smells and occasional noises of bodily functions discourage you from attending.

Quote:
Another thought about the tracks. Any desire for HD? 24bit-96khz files either LP sourced or downloaded? I could certainly contribute something if there is a want.

I haven't gone through it yet (not sure how many dead links, etc.), but I passed this on to CEETEE:  http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67154

Maybe we could pick a half dozen or so tracks from there and make sure everyone has a copy since they're free. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #75 of 212

Quote:
I was born before virtually any homes had color TV.  Does that make me a codger?

Is your avatar really you... right after the signing of the Treaty of Versailles? 
biggrin.gif

I tell them not to bother installing the high frequency drivers in my customs- I'm that old.

Edit:
Heyyyyy, wait a minute... did that guy just insinuate that all Head-Fi people or headphone hobbyists are old? 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back