Bay Area Meet (California) February 11th, 2012 INTEREST THREAD
Aug 2, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #31 of 212
Although it's pretty far out, I'm in.

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #32 of 212
CEE TEE

As I was browsing through your extensive event planning notes, I notice the entry for "MEMBER SUGGESTION BOX:" and the following came to mind:

As we all know, attempting to conduct equipment comparisons under show conditions can be quite challenging.  Harsh listening conditions, endless equipment variables, and in many cases unknown music, make serious equipment comparisons all but impossible.

I thought of a simple solution that might bring us one step closer to making an apples-to-apples comparison when auditioning equipment at future Bay Area meets.  The idea is for "us" - all Bay Area attendees -  to come up with an agreed upon short playlist (maybe 12-15 songs) of commercially available music which then could be made available to those auditioning gear at the meet.  I'm not suggesting "swapping" music, only having the music available for listening if your setup can accommodate playback.  If everyone showing gear at the meet could make this playlist available, this change would eliminate one variable from an often complex chain of variables.  With a single common playlist, we could listen to the same music across all gear.

So the question is...
Is there any interest, by those showing equipment at the upcoming meet - vendors or attendees, around making a short agreed upon playlist of lossless reference recordings available to those auditioning equipment?  (maybe we can call it the BAG HIT LIST???, for Bay Area Group... or not
wink_face.gif
)

I welcome everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Cheers

Aug 2, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #33 of 212
^I think this is a great idea, I certainly would have liked to hear something I have heard before on vendor gear as well...

I have been considering bringing my own dock so I can use my iPhone and WAV tracks.  

However, on any vendor DAPs it would be necessary to pre-load tracks.
THANKS FOR ADDING THE FIRST SUGGESTION TO THE THREAD!  
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 212
ironbut!!!

I am sure that I will have questions for those of you who inspired me to get into tape (Doc B., ironbut):

The pen is for scale...

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #37 of 212

Quote:

Lessons Learned:
  1. No Hairnets = I’m OK, You’re OK.
  2. Organizer should bring something to block the hideous sound emanating from the hotel speakers
  3. Loading-in and setting up MASSIVE rigs takes a bit of time
  4. Signs for exhibitors = FANTASTIC (Thanks mkubota for 2011…erm, 2012?)
  5. Bring the "Bay Area Meet" crate of power cords and power strips
  6. This is an awesome chance to talk shop- should we beg significant others for more time this year?

Meets are a great place to:
  1. Finally meet other members and set up mini-meets later
  2. Get a “rough” listen or introduction to a component
  3. Be surprised at something you didn’t know existed
  4. Be surprised at something that sounds great or that you didn’t like as much as expected
  5. Be able to meet the personalities behind the brands, hear NEW gear, and talk to them
  6. Sometimes find a great discount too

Meets are not exactly a great place to:
  1. Definitively A/B gear in an anechoic chamber

Possible Benefits and Features of the next meet:
  1. Allow vendors to broadcast meet on their Social Media/the interwebs?
  2. Vendors in same room this time?
  3. An ORTHO area/set-up shared by several members?

MEMBER SUGGESTION BOX:
  • The idea is for "us" - all Bay Area attendees -  to come up with an agreed upon short playlist (maybe 12-15 songs) of commercially available music which then could be made available to those auditioning gear at the meet.  (jazzfan post #33)

I don't think I will be able to attend, but I have some sort of a suggestion after reading your "learned lesson" post. If it's going to last two full days, why not set up a "quiet time," so that for those designated time, head-fiers interested in listening to some headphones critically can have that opportunity? Afterall, I think many people go there to try out new headphones and get a better idea of whether it's for them...For me at least, I always left head-fi meets hoping I had listened to new headphones in a quieter environment (not that there's anything wrong with having fun conversations). Maybe with this longer meet, you guys can try it out?

Would love to hear about what you guys have to say about this.

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #38 of 212
I don't have any impressive gear, as I've just joined head-fi the week after the 2011 meet, but I'd love to attend. It would be good to meet some of you and listen to some higher end systems so I'll have a better idea of where to invest my money. 

Although my gear isn't too impressive, I can help with set up during the meet so I'd be contributing in some way. 

It's a shame I joined head-fi a week late. I work literally next door to the Max's that you guys had happy hour (our buildings share the same parking lot). 

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #41 of 212
MEMBER SUGGESTION BOX:

I liked the multiple rooms format, but take this another step. Designate quiet rooms (put up big signs "QUIET ZONE"), especially for the higher-end gear, and other rooms dedicated for vendors (where there may be a lot of Q&A) and IEMs, etc.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #43 of 212
I would love to be at the event in February...just let me know when.  As long as it doesn't take away my Valentine's Day, which is mid-week in 2012, I'm OK.  I will enjoy the opportunity to bring my Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire amp and whatever awesome cans I can muster.

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #44 of 212

Quote:
MEMBER SUGGESTION BOX:

I liked the multiple rooms format, but take this another step. Designate quiet rooms (put up big signs "QUIET ZONE"), especially for the higher-end gear, and other rooms dedicated for vendors (where there may be a lot of Q&A) and IEMs, etc.

YES. But my guess is that nearly everyone will want to be stationed in the Quiet Zones... But it's a great idea. The noise is certainly the biggest (only?) negative.

Oh yea... and how will it be enforced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back