AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 11, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #556 of 694
I have a 4.4mm to XLR4 adapter, it works really well because the pentaconn tip fits right inside. I prefer this to other cables designed to be modular, because at least one tip is hard-soldered to the cable.

You can adapt balanced to single ended (in fact many cables are wired balanced but connected into a common ground as single-ended at the termination), but not the other way around… at least not in a simple way.

A TRRS single-entry cable is enough, but if I was spending the money on a custom cable I’d get a dual entry cable with 2.5mm TRRS (and a skinny enough housing to fit in the earcup’s stress relief), just in case I had another headphone that could also use the cable. I think the OAE1 is way clearer and better tuned than the HD 700, but that’s another headphone that could use a 2x TRRS 2.5mm balanced cable, for example (help me remember more headphones with 2.5mm earcup jacks!).
I also have a 4.4mm to 4pinXLR adapter that I use for my iems when connecting to Burson Soloist 3xgt.
I was wondering if the fact that the included stock cable 4.4mm only has one 2.5mm connector, if that should still work with the 4.4mm to 4pinXLR adapter?
(would a dual 2.5mm to 4pinXLR be an improvement in any way to the stock cable with a single 2.5mm connector?)

May 11, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #557 of 694
These may end up being like my Edition 5's unless you give them some time to understand them they are sometimes dismissed, but for the ones who understand them and give them time they find to them, one of the best ever made absolutely sublime! And still can't absolutely say or decide that I don't prefer them to my Susvara or Ca1a.

May 11, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #558 of 694
The hd560S is already a bright headphone compared to other models in the 5XX/6XX line. These have an even greater peak between 3-4 kHz which is also in the ear gain frequency range. I don’t know how these couldn’t sound sharp/harsh. Hard pass until user reviews start coming in.
I felt like the HD 599 was too dark, I preferred the older HD 598 and even the Game One over the HD 599. The HD 560S may be too bright to you… it wasn’t harsh to me, so it’s hard to say if the HD 560S would sound harsh to you or not harsh to someone else. It’s not the brightest sounding headphone I’ve heard, just a little above common in my experience.

The Beyer DT 880 is too bright for me, but the AKG K712 Pro and K612 Pro are not. The HD 800 is almost on the verge of too bright to me, to where I have to pick the right amp pairing… but pushing close to that edge makes it exciting (also putting a limit on how long how long a comfortable listening session can be).

I don’t feel like the OAE1 is brighter than average, but the upper mids are not recessed if you know you need that or feel like EQ’ing that.

May 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #559 of 694
I also have a 4.4mm to 4pinXLR adapter that I use for my iems when connecting to Burson Soloist 3xgt.
I was wondering if the fact that the included stock cable 4.4mm only has one 2.5mm connector, if that should still work with the 4.4mm to 4pinXLR adapter?
(would a dual 2.5mm to 4pinXLR be an improvement in any way to the stock cable with a single 2.5mm connector?)
Yep! The earcup entry port is still balanced, 2.5mm TRRS.
As far as dual entry being “better…” I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s a little better to use dual entry cables (two 2.5mm TRRS plugs). With the single-entry style, the other earcup is fed by a cable running inside the headband and therefore has a slightly longer length. But it really would be a small difference, noticeable to some but maybe not noticeable at all to others. Go for convenience if it suits you, but if you have other headphones with 2.5mm TRRS inputs, get the one that works on multiple headphones!

For a little bit, I was excited that maybe one of the 3rd party cables that I have for the HD 560S and Ultrasone Signature X could also work for the OAE1; the single-earcup-entry grell 4.4mm cable would work with the other headphones, but the twist to lock mechanism on the other cables would be too thick to fit in the grell’s earcup.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #560 of 694
I felt like the HD 599 was too dark, I preferred the older HD 598 and even the Game One over the HD 599. The HD 560S may be too bright to you… it wasn’t harsh to me, so it’s hard to say if the HD 560S would sound harsh to you or not harsh to someone else. It’s not the brightest sounding headphone I’ve heard, just a little above common in my experience.

The Beyer DT 880 is too bright for me, but the AKG K712 Pro and K612 Pro are not. The HD 800 is almost on the verge of too bright to me, to where I have to pick the right amp pairing… but pushing close to that edge makes it exciting (also putting a limit on how long how long a comfortable listening session can be).

I don’t feel like the OAE1 is brighter than average, but the upper mids are not recessed if you know you need that or feel like EQ’ing that.
You’re right about how everyone hears differently. But if you feel like the original HD800 is below your brightness threshold, then that tells me your audio preferences are vastly different than mine. I cannot listen to the 800 for more than 5 minutes before it is an ice pick to the brain. Even the 800S is too bright for me (but I do love it) even though it is noticeably warmer and less bright than the 800.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #561 of 694
You’re right about how everyone hears differently. But if you feel like the original HD800 is below your brightness threshold, then that tells me your audio preferences are vastly different than mine. I cannot listen to the 800 for more than 5 minutes before it is an ice pick to the brain. Even the 800S is too bright for me (but I do love it) even though it is noticeably warmer and less bright than the 800.
Good! Then I helped calibrate how we hear different, and achieved my goal. I prefer the HD 800S too, but the HD 800 is what I have. It’s great for gaming, and I can listen to an album with it, but I wouldn’t want anything brighter.

I fell asleep in my chair after work today, just woke up and need to make myself dinner, but this “calibration” is why I intend to add comparisons to other headphones in my review soon.
If you wanna try another gaming test, Hunt Showdown has amazing binaural sound design, should be perfect for this headphone.
Yeah I bought that when I saw it on sale… but I haven’t had time to play it yet, or anyone to play it with. I’ve only heard good things about it! I could make a huge list of games from more genres, but at some point I just have to get the info out so people have some idea of the headphone’s flavor and decide for themselves.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #562 of 694
Good! Then I helped calibrate how we hear different, and achieved my goal. I prefer the HD 800S too, but the HD 800 is what I have. It’s great for gaming, and I can listen to an album with it, but I wouldn’t want anything brighter.

Yeah I bought that when I saw it on sale… but I haven’t had time to play it yet, or anyone to play it with. I’ve only heard good things about it! I could make a huge list of games from more genres, but at some point I just have to get the info out so people have some idea of the headphone’s flavor and decide for themselves.
I have about 1800 hours in the game and play semi-regularly with a small rotating group of people. Wanna join some time? I will play tomorrow (Sunday) for sure. Write me a PM if you're interested. :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #565 of 694
…. I listened to the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles from the album "Hell Freezes Over". The live recording from 1994. …

In fact, "Hotel California" is a great tip, this masterpiece of music history fits perfectly with the Grell headphones, also because the OAE1 will be a classic.

Don't be put off by the low cost.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #566 of 694
Don't be put off by the low cost
What may be the influencing factor is if they get labelled "genre specific".
My listening is rather eclectic so after listening to some classical, Cecil Taylor, experimental and currently Carl Cox.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/253215807
Obviously we perceive that some phones do certain genres better than others but a good headphone or speakers should produce a respectable reproduction with all music, after all music is just a lot of sound waves and the device either does or doesn't reproduce them if they're on the recording. : )

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #567 of 694
What may be the influencing factor is if they get labelled "genre specific".
My listening is rather eclectic so after listening to some classical, Cecil Taylor, experimental and currently Carl Cox.
https://listen.tidal.com/album/253215807
Obviously we perceive that some phones do certain genres better than others but a good headphone or speakers should produce a respectable reproduction with all music, after all music is just a lot of sound waves and the device either does or doesn't reproduce them if they're on the recording. : )

The OAE1 is characterized by the fact that the playback is perceived more as live music compared to most other headphones. The fact that the headphones can also play bass doesn't make them genre-specific. Some expensive headphones may have more „polished tones“, but certainly not more music.

Admittedly, the first hearing during HighEnd Munich was not critical, but I was impressed by the headphones - an affordable must-have for me. I feel the headphones are a gift from Mr. Grell to the headphone community.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back