AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 11, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #541 of 694
May 11, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #542 of 694
May 11, 2024 at 9:29 AM Post #543 of 694
Having recently ordered Axel Grell's headphones via Drop, I had the opportunity to listen to them today at the HighEnd in Munich. I was pleasantly surprised by the powerful bass, live-like sound with a generous spatial imaging that also makes crossfeed unnecessary.

Given the price level, I wasn't expecting this listening experience. I highly recommend the headphones to those who like to listen to music.

I wish Mr. Grell well-deserved success.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #545 of 694
I think that for many of us it will be the cheapest headphone in the collection (minus my out and about cheapie Koss's).
I guess we are all hoping for that old cliche, "But it punches above its weight!" :smile:
The low price tempers expectations. But I am hoping for something different, compelling and good enough amongst my other more expensive headphones to make me want to keep them and continue listening to them after the honeymoon period.

Having recently ordered Axel Grell's headphones via Drop, I had the opportunity to listen to them today at the HighEnd in Munich. I was pleasantly surprised by the powerful bass, live-like sound with a generous spatial imaging that also makes crossfeed unnecessary.

Given the price level, I wasn't expecting this listening experience. I highly recommend the headphones to those who like to listen to music.

I wish Mr. Grell well-deserved success.
Good news! Any other details? How would you say they compare in general technicalities, extension, resolution, etc vs more top tier headphones?

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #546 of 694
I was just at the Drop + Grell booth at the HighEnd in Munich and was able to talk to Axel. He's a really nice guy. The OAE1 is something very special! I listened to the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles from the album "Hell Freezes Over". The live recording from 1994. It was pretty loud there, as expected. The first few seconds sound a bit unusual. Our ears apparently expect something different. But when the bass started, I was really surprised by the quality and also the quantity of the bass. For an open design, that's fascinating! The sound signature is not a "wow experience". Our brain has to adapt to it after a few minutes. And that's best done at home in a quiet environment. But it's very promising! I'm looking forward to my OAE1 :)

P. S.
Sorry for my english!

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #548 of 694
Good news! Any other details? How would you say they compare in general technicalities, extension, resolution, etc vs more top tier headphones?
In the context of an exhibition, I find a more detailed assessment difficult, a description even more so. The HD800s and the Grell headphones could be heard at the Violectric stand, and I would definitely give the Grell the edge, at least for Dire Straits music. The time for a more detailed analysis was simply too short, and you don't want to do that with the Grells on your ears, you want to listen to music with them.
For the sake of completeness, I'll mention that I've had the HD800s with me for some time and like them. One headphone that again didn't convince me was the Audio Austrian Composer, I just don't like listening to music with them.

May 11, 2024 at 1:03 PM Post #549 of 694
In the context of an exhibition, I find a more detailed assessment difficult, a description even more so. The HD800s and the Grell headphones could be heard at the Violectric stand, and I would definitely give the Grell the edge, at least for Dire Straits music. The time for a more detailed analysis was simply too short, and you don't want to do that with the Grells on your ears, you want to listen to music with them.
For the sake of completeness, I'll mention that I've had the HD800s with me for some time and like them. One headphone that again didn't convince me was the Audio Austrian Composer, I just don't like listening to music with them.
Understood. Was just wondering if you got a general sense of its capabilities in the usual categories like extension, resolution, soundstage etc. Thanks anyway for the feedback, promising at least!

We'll all just have to be patient in waiting for them 🙂

May 11, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #550 of 694
The reports from Munich are very promising!

May 11, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #551 of 694
Does anyone know if there is or will be a 4 pin XLR balanced cable for the Grell?

Alternatively, if I were to order one from another company (say Arctic Cables), would I want a single sided cable, TRRRS (4 pole?) 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR?

It's important for me to get it right, as my main amp (Nitsch DSHA-3FN) is balanced only, and any mis-wiring of the cable could short out the amp!:scream: That would not be good...

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #552 of 694
Does anyone know if there is or will be a 4 pin XLR balanced cable for the Grell?

Alternatively, if I were to order one from another company (say Arctic Cables), would I want a single sided cable, TRRS (4 pole?) 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR?

It's important for me to get it right, as my main amp (Nitsch DSHA-3FN) is balanced only, and any mis-wiring of the cable could short out the amp!:scream: That would not be good...
Please in the future write how DSHA pairs with OAE1. Grells are coming, I've been considering DSHA for quite some time.

May 11, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #553 of 694
The hd560S is already a bright headphone compared to other models in the 5XX/6XX line. These have an even greater peak between 3-4 kHz which is also in the ear gain frequency range. I don’t know how these couldn’t sound sharp/harsh. Hard pass until user reviews start coming in.

May 11, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #554 of 694
The low price tempers expectations. But I am hoping for something different, compelling and good enough amongst my other more expensive headphones to make me want to keep them and continue listening to them after the honeymoon period.
As am I.

May 11, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #555 of 694

Alternatively, if I were to order one from another company (say Arctic Cables), would I want a single sided cable, TRRRS (4 pole?) 2.5mm to 4 pin XLR?

I have a 4.4mm to XLR4 adapter, it works really well because the pentaconn tip fits right inside. I prefer this to other cables designed to be modular, because at least one tip is hard-soldered to the cable.

You can adapt balanced to single ended (in fact many cables are wired balanced but connected into a common ground as single-ended at the termination), but not the other way around… at least not in a simple way.

A TRRS single-entry cable is enough, but if I was spending the money on a custom cable I’d get a dual entry cable with 2.5mm TRRS (and a skinny enough housing to fit in the earcup’s stress relief), just in case I had another headphone that could also use the cable. I think the OAE1 is way clearer and better tuned than the HD 700, but that’s another headphone that could use a 2x TRRS 2.5mm balanced cable, for example (help me remember more headphones with 2.5mm earcup jacks!).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back