AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 14, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #586 of 726
I thought this was interesting. OAE1 graph compared to the Audeze MM-500 and LCD-5.
Drop's FR graph is off of a B&K 5128. So you'll want to find graphs off of that same rig if you want to compare. Listener's 5128 database is here: https://listener800.github.io/5128.html

Here's his graph of the LCD-5:
graph-10.png

I don't see an MM-500 graph :frowning2:

It looks like your point is still valid against the 5128 graphs though. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #589 of 726
Hard to know without knowing the dBSPL for sure. If we asume 90, as in the other graph, it is probably not an issue in the slightest.
I am assuming it's at the same loudness level as this graph. Otherwise I would feel a little cheated on.
VU1TSEsUS3CInK1qZFiP_Drop-Grell-OAE1-Signature-Frequency-Response-(alone).jpg

May 14, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #590 of 726
On paper at least this looks great value in a sea of some (imho) stupidly overpriced HP's. The proof is, as always, in hearing it of course.

May 14, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #591 of 726
I placed an order. Based on Grell's previous works, I have no doubt it will be amazing.

Equipment pairing might be interesting, being its is 38ohm/106db, no amp needed really

I was thinking something like the Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital might be a good match since it only does 68mw at 32ohm, or the new "Edition '23" version which is 100mw at 32ohm. Most of the DAC/amps that have been used for past Grell creations under Sennheiser would likely be far too powerful for this headphone.

May 14, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #592 of 726
I ordered one,
I couldn't resist the temptation, it looks really good, and the price is very reasonable,
In a world where good headphones can cost thousands of dollars this can be real news!
I really hope that they will justify their existence together with some much more expensive ships like my favorite dca expanse for example,
When do they actually start shipping them?

May 14, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #593 of 726
I ordered one,
I couldn't resist the temptation, it looks really good, and the price is very reasonable,
In a world where good headphones can cost thousands of dollars this can be real news!
I really hope that they will justify their existence together with some much more expensive ships like my favorite dca expanse for example,
When do they actually start shipping them?
End of June. I'm hoping they'll have the whole batch in the warehouse and will get them all out fairly quickly but we will see.

Plenty of people will post in this thread when they start showing up in the mail, I'm sure.

May 14, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #595 of 726
Axel Grell confirmed on Drop that there is a 4 pin XLR cable coming, of similar build and components to the included cables (i.e. silver plated OFC, etc). No word on time frame though, I hope it's around when they ship.

Six weeks from pre-order to shipping is pretty standard. We're getting a discount since we are early adopters, and fwiw every ZMF headphone I've ordered has taken six to eight weeks to arrive from the order date...

May 14, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #596 of 726
Six weeks from pre-order to shipping is pretty standard. We're getting a discount since we are early adopters, and fwiw every ZMF headphone I've ordered has taken six to eight weeks to arrive from the order date...

Well, to be fair, it takes time for wood to get hard.

May 15, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #597 of 726
I am starting to wonder if it is best to cancel the order and just wait. Everyone’s ears are different but I have been reading very contradicting reviews from Munich. Either some liked it a lot but others disliked it completely, and just one review makes it hard. I guess at this point is a bet, I did demo them in NY in Canjam but it might be that this final version is completely different. I guess it is what it is.

May 15, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #598 of 726
I am starting to wonder if it is best to cancel the order and just wait. Everyone’s ears are different but I have been reading very contradicting reviews from Munich. Either some liked it a lot but others disliked it completely, and just one review makes it hard. I guess at this point is a bet, I did demo them in NY in Canjam but it might be that this final version is completely different. I guess it is what it is.
Waiting is a sane and smart thing to do. You got a 50/50 chance that you might like it or you might hate it. If it sucks, at least it was on somebody else's dime.

May 15, 2024 at 1:35 AM Post #599 of 726
IMO divisive headphones are the most fun. The uncertainty of whether it will be trash or treasure makes it exciting. The contradicting reviews automatically temper expectations so you don't go in expecting to be impressed and setting yourself up for disappointment. They'll be an adventure.

May 15, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #600 of 726
If you demoed them at this year's NY CanJam that should be the final tuning by all accounts.

I believe @Evshrug 's review unit was the same unit at CanJam ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back