Aw these suck.....
Mar 24, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
Their "headphone" forum is a joke. It should be called the Sony EX71 forum, because that's pretty much all they like to talk about. And then there are wonderful comments like this one I found yesterday, "i think once youre used to the basic ear buds its best to stick with them cause theyre so much prettier". Man, it's painful to visit that place sometimes.

I have to say, that's a little on the offensive side.

I found out about head-fi from the headphone forum at ipodlounge. Up until 2 months ago, I didn't even know you could get earphones/buds for $500. The idea seemed absurd, but then when I thought about it logically, the better the speakers, the better the sound. Same thing for cans.

So to berate a site that is essentially devoted to a portable mp3 player (not the headphones you use with it) is a little judgemental.

Okay, EX71s aren't to everyone's tastes (I have them, and there's no denying that while they're not the greatest things around, they beat the living cr*p out of the stock buds.)

But remember that the people on that site are, for the most part, not audiophiles. A lot of people on there wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Etys and EX71s, and those who CAN tell the difference will probably tell you that "the difference in sound isn't worth spending 10x more."

You have to start somewhere, and for some people, ipodlounge is the place to start. Berating the site for not being expert in a field that's merely peripheral to its main function accomplishes nothing.

I agree you get a lot of people using white stock buds because they look better, but those people aren't indicitive of everyone on the forum. And it is the ipodlounge forum, people care about style on there. I don't, but that doesn't make me right and them wrong.

Mar 24, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by doctorjuggles
I have to say, that's a little on the offensive side.

I found out about head-fi from the headphone forum at ipodlounge. Up until 2 months ago, I didn't even know you could get earphones/buds for $500. The idea seemed absurd, but then when I thought about it logically, the better the speakers, the better the sound. Same thing for cans.

So to berate a site that is essentially devoted to a portable mp3 player (not the headphones you use with it) is a little judgemental.

Okay, EX71s aren't to everyone's tastes (I have them, and there's no denying that while they're not the greatest things around, they beat the living cr*p out of the stock buds.)

But remember that the people on that site are, for the most part, not audiophiles. A lot of people on there wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Etys and EX71s, and those who CAN tell the difference will probably tell you that "the difference in sound isn't worth spending 10x more."

You have to start somewhere, and for some people, ipodlounge is the place to start. Berating the site for not being expert in a field that's merely peripheral to its main function accomplishes nothing.

I agree you get a lot of people using white stock buds because they look better, but those people aren't indicitive of everyone on the forum. And it is the ipodlounge forum, people care about style on there. I don't, but that doesn't make me right and them wrong.

I understand what you are saying. However, that forum gets very tiresome, very fast. As a member of that forum, I saw countless threads on the same topic. It's like the good majority of members refuse to research the topic before asking the same questions that have been asked over and over on the forum (often the question that is being asked has the answer in multiple threads on the first page). I'm sorry if I offended you, as I do think it's not a bad place for people to get their feet wet. However, as a member, I find myself rarely visiting the headphone section of the forum.

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #34 of 65
I see what you mean now, I misunderstood your point.

Yeah, nobody searches on that forum, that's true. In fact, without even going onto the site before I write this reply, I'd be willing to bet that there are at least 5 topics on the front page of the headphone forum about the EX71. That is definitely true.

Cool, fair enough, offense forgotten.

Anyway, I'm new to this site, learning loads every day.

I didn't realise people could be this obsessive about phones. It's amazing.

Mar 24, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #35 of 65
That's why we have our loved/hated website like this one
wink.gif

If all forums were alike that alone is very boring. Plus, the super senior members here are very helpful and honest.
I see yourself getting a new gear!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by BigD

I see yourself getting a new gear!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Heheheheh, that one had me chuckling.

I see me getting new gear too. I'm only a few days away from giving in to the temptation and buying a set of Shure E3s. I have a strong feeling things are about to get interesting. And expensive.

Mar 24, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #37 of 65
i just got my er6.. my ex70s died after about a year and a half lol good riddance... i never really did like the ex70s, i mostly used my MX400s or my HD280s which i sold. now its just my mx400s for when i need no isolation and er6 for everything else. er6 is really nice, i just eq'd the 3K down a couple notches on my iRiver 550. so anyway, the er6 makes my ex70s sound like crap. lol. isolationwise too. i just wish the cord on the er6 was wrap aroudn the neck like the ex70..

Mar 24, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #38 of 65
the other thing is, that members there seem affixed to the idea that the only choices in headphones they have are the ex71, ex70, and the 200$ shures/etys... while there is a multitle of options out there in the same price range.

i guess they restrict them to being small flashy and white

Mar 24, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #39 of 65
The Plug drove me crazy. It sounded really crappy in stock form, so I tried to mod it. But wait, I have no soldering or mechanical skills. Back when my "best" headphones cost $25, I bit the bullet and bought the Kosses, then I killed 'em. Argh

Mar 24, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #40 of 65
Funny thing is, though, for as much as I think the EX71s are rubbish for most music, they're excellent for house/techno/dub reggae/breaks and most other electronic/dance genres.

I haven't heard the Shures or Etys yet, so my references and comparisons are with things like Sony MDR-ED21LP & 31LP, stock iPod, stock minidisc player buds etc. But the bass on the EX71s works with dance music, because it actually goes well with that 'muddy' EX sound.

I know everyone says 'the bass is there on the Shure and Etymotic, it's just tighter and more refined', which is fine. But dance music needs that dirty, fun, lo-fi sound that these cr*ppy buds seem to bring.

Just my take on them. Seems dance/bass heavy music isn't big in here anyway, so there's really not much call for the EX71 sound.

Mar 25, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Just my take on them. Seems dance/bass heavy music isn't big in here anyway, so there's really not much call for the EX71 sound.

I often listen to hip-hop, which is a very bass heavy genre as I'm sure you know, and there is nothing my EX71's can do better than my E5's. The E5's are a very exciting can, and when the music calls for it, they will rattle your brain.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

I know everyone says 'the bass is there on the Shure and Etymotic, it's just tighter and more refined', which is fine. But dance music needs that dirty, fun, lo-fi sound that these cr*ppy buds seem to bring.

The above statement only applies to the following canalphones:

Ety ER-6, Ety ER-4, Shure E3c

ER-6 and ER-4 only has a representative bass, notes are all there, controls are there.. no visceral impact or volume.

Shure E3c has a midbass hump, but lack the same visceral impact and volume down in the really low regions.

Shure E2c has a muddy bass, still more refined than EX71, but the visceral impact is actually pretty good. Overall detail and definition is just okay with the E2c though.

Shure E5c... that's a completely different story. Tight accurate bass with plenty of kick and volume all the way to the lowest regions... it will put the bass of cheap consumer headphones to shame, not only in the tonality and accuracy, but in volume and visceral impact as well.

Mar 25, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

But dance music needs that dirty, fun, lo-fi sound that these cr*ppy buds seem to bring.

Er, no? I love dance music myself (including the lowest of the lo-fi, scuzzy hardcore techno from Australia a la Bloody Fist) and I abhor bloated, dirty bass. I like bass controlled, tight, and detailed. (Contrary to what lindrone thinks, this is precisely what the ER-4 offers.)

- Chris

Mar 25, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Er, no? I love dance music myself (including the lowest of the lo-fi, scuzzy hardcore techno from Australia a la Bloody Fist) and I abhor bloated, dirty bass. I like bass controlled, tight, and detailed. (Contrary to what lindrone thinks, this is precisely what the ER-4 offers.)

- Chris

Where did lindrone say that the ER-4 doesn't have controlled, tight, and detailed bass? He just said that the Ety's don't give you that visceral impact (which I feel is very important) like a full sized headphone or speaker system does. The way I interpret it is that with the Ety's, you can hear the bass, but you don't feel it.

Mar 25, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #45 of 65
ER4.. depends on what you do with it. I do indeed get deep thudding and visceral bass impact. It's not quite as thunderous as the E5's but it can get very close.
biggrin.gif

I was expecting to get very lightweight bass with these based on all comments, but even with the 's' version, it's quite surprising what you can get from them. I have to say that I'm very pleased with their bass.
etysmile.gif
basshead.gif
etysmile.gif
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back