Aurisonics ROCKETS: Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #1,277 of 3,454
Barring any post office shenanigans, I should soon be the owner of a nice gold pair of Rockets. Thanks to dealsaddict for answering my ad.

I'm pretty sure I can imagine the smile on your face.

Anyways gnarlsagan and everyone else who's had a chance to use the ROCKETS, anyone else notice that the SureSeal tips tend to hold their shape after using them for a while? I find them molding to my ear's shape after a bit of use.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #1,281 of 3,454
Woo! Congrats, Gnarls!!
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,282 of 3,454
So I've been trying the M+ tips again after using the small tips for a while I'm noticing a pretty big difference. Using the M+ tips the ROCKETS don't go nearly as deep into my ears and doesn't let as much pressure build up as the small tips do. As a result the bass decay subsides a lot quicker and it has a lot less impact making the sound cooler overall. The sound also feels less intimate and more energy is given to the mids and treble.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,283 of 3,454
Okay guys Unity has the Rockets. Everyone stare expectantly into his direction as we wait for first impressions...

:neutral_face: Why thank you, lol.

SOUND

Vocals vocals vocals, these guys are good. So far I'm fine with the mid-bass presence overall but the sub-bass could use some lift for my taste. Less sub/mid-bass presence then the GR07 BE/KC06A but mid can sound comparable to my GR07BE at times. I think the vocals sound quite crisp and clean, GR07 BE is last while the KC06A sits in the middle. I might like the Tenores highs more but it's hard to say at this point. They sounded a bit more even with the vocals from memory. The Rockets seem to lean more towards the ety presentation in that the vocals sound a touch above the highs sparkle to my ears. Unlike the ety's however, the top end sounds cleaner from what I can tell.

**Enjoyment! Not technical performance**

Bass:
GR07BE>=Tenore>Rockets>=KC06>=Ety=EX1000

I find the GR07 BE sub and mid bass balance very good while keeping it textured all-round. The Tenore sounded less clear but I found it well balance, rumble was not a problem on my end. Rockets sound cleaner then the Tenore with good mid bass depth but bad sub bass balance in comparison. I had a chance to re-audition the KC06 and found good speed and depth in its mid-bass but lacking in sub bass presence as well. Ety's had very tight bass but it sounded a bit unnatural(too fast?) and lacking all-round. EX1000 had insufficient bass with a soft note presentation that I didn't particularly enjoy(GR07BE bass characteristics is better liked-speedy/well defined), but it sounded more natural then the ety's.

Vocals:
EX1000>Rockets>=KC06>Tenore>Ety>GR07BE

What can I say, EX1000 vocals sound goddam amazing to my ears(goddam amazing). Clear and sweeping, they lack nothing to me, NOTHING. Rockets cut off some of that vocal energy, giving out exquisitely crisp vocals that miss out on some EX1000 waves. Sorry buddy, you ain't got that spacious feels. KC06's purty much meet the Rockets eye an eye from what I can tell. The Rockets might be more defined bringing up vocals but I'm going off KC06 memory... again(Pff). Both are very good vocal champions, second only to the EX1000 VocalGod™. The Tenores don't give me the same sense of clarity but they have enough of a snap to shine while keeping it tame. Ety's sound really clear but a bit too prominent at times, also, a bit too closed in. My lonely GR07BE are left in last place(pff). While they sound moderately detailed, it's hard to argue they have great presentation given the competition. They can also sound a touch harsh/sibilant at times but tips are your fruend.

Highs:
KC06>Tenore>Rockets>GR07BE>Ety>EX1000

Sparkly and tame, the KC06 reminds me of the XBA H3, minus the price of admission :heart_eyes:. While the Tenores don't have that same sparkle, I actually found them to have great transparency, everything sounded nice and clear. Cymbals didn't carry as much of a zing but it slowly became quite accommodating. Rockets have a clean top end but I felt it could use a touch of sparkle to better match its vocals, nothing serious but enough to nudge it down. GR07BE give cymbals good bite but lack refinement bringing everything together. Ety's sounded a bit muffled at times, it could be the vocals doing. EX1000... Too bright.

Overall, I would lean towards Tenores and GR07BE the most as they work well with everything. I didn't include the KC06A's, ASG 2's, or H3's in the competition rankings(>,=) because they would fall within a different criteria, phone number 2. Number one leaning towards balanced, number two towards fun.

Note I'm collecting more EarTime™ on the replacement Altone 200 and KC06A whenever possible. Also, my biggest problem with the Rockets is in sub bass presence, rumble is there for sure but it feels too shy.

Some of the music I used.

Extra:
Ok, quick attempt. During music, I would go anywhere from 5-7 down from max(iphone4). I used 5 down(provably should've used 6?), closed my eyes and slowly climbed up from 10hz; started to hear bass around 18, a steady climb to about 1320Hz with a small dip right after, steady climb again to the apex of the the peak around 51200Hz followed by a downhill run, a small attempt at coming back up around 10,000Hz, hear treble up to about ~17860Hz.

At 7 down, it starts around 21hz, rest stays the same. I was expecting the end of the treble to move :/.

Used ASG 2 double flange tips.

OTHER

I like the cable design but it could be; more supple, less noisy, and come in other color combos. The jack is way too big, I would prefer it be low profile like my GR07BE. White is a bad color choice for a jack like this, as you might guess why.

The housings feel sturdy if a bit too small for handling. I installed the rubber skirts for easier accessibility. I don't know how the cable is anchored at the earpiece but it better be done well cuz it doesn't inspire confidence as I look at it. There's no strain reliefs at the Y-split but given how the cables are designed and ran up, I don't think it needs any. The strain relief on the jack is nice and long. The tips feel amazing but god dammit do they attract crap like a magnet :confused:. I would have also preferred double flange tips be included with this iem.

I don't know what it is exactly but I really like the grill on the earpieces. The spacing between the web, the color, how it's recessed down and looks to be coming out towards you, lol. I also dig the blue finish but would prefer silver or black for the earpieces, trivial.

Now for some obligatory neko!

P.S. I would've liked to do something more detailed but my health(which is doing better), a recent chat with a car airbag(that ended umplesently), and work(that I absolutely love /s) has me tied down on energy and time.

Snippet: Niece liked her KC06's more then the GR07BE/Altone200/KC06A/Rockets...

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #1,286 of 3,454
NEKOMIMI!

Ok now that that's over with have you tried switching up the tips? I had a field day with testing insertion depth and it can change the sound sig quite a bit.

I KNOW RIGHT!

Not much but I wanted to go deeper then the earpieces/included tips allowed so I grabbed my ASG 2 grey double flanges(which I still love) and used that for almost all my listening time.

I'll grab all my tips but I don't have many. The KC06A tips should fit well but I don't particularly like them. Looking to buy some MeElectronics double flange tips. However, they might take a while to arrive and I'm going to be shipping these guys out, along with my Altone 200's.

Also, looking at the total price, maybe I should just buy a MeElectronic earphone that comes with them, lol.

I've experience tips changing sound characteristics tho. GR07BE's got a bass lift when trying some double flanges. Or treble downer that was perceived as a bass lift cuz I focused on the bass first like a true Basshead™, lol.

I'm listening to this and again, I'm good with the mid bass. That volume tho, dam son.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #1,287 of 3,454
I KNOW RIGHT!

Not much but I wanted to go deeper then the earpieces/included tips allowed so I grabbed my ASG 2 grey double flanges(which I still love) and used that for almost all my listening time.

I'll grab all my tips but I don't have many. The KC06A tips should fit well but I don't particularly like them. Looking to buy some MeElectronics double flange tips. However, they might take a while to arrive and I'm going to be shipping these guys out, along with my Altone 200's.

Also, looking at the total price, maybe I should just buy a MeElectronic earphone that comes with them, lol.

I've experience tips changing sound characteristics tho. GR07BE's got a bass lift when trying some double flanges. Or treble downer that was perceived as a bass lift cuz I focused on the bass first like a true Basshead™, lol.

I'm listening to this and again, I'm good with the mid bass. That volume tho, dam son.

Try smaller tips then you usually use, I found the ROCKETS sound better the deeper you get them. I've been using the small SureSeals and they mold really well to my ear since they don't have as much resistance vs silicone tips. From the looks of my small tip it looks like I'm getting the tip in 2-3mm deeper then other tips. For me it makes a night and day difference. I've found the more pressure you can build up with the seal, the better the sub bass. I also found that it improved the sound cues and gave me a more intimate and warmer sound.

I also remember Dale saying, 'with ROCKETS you'll want to jam them as far down your ear as you can' or something like that.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #1,289 of 3,454
We-need-to-go-deeper_inception.jpg

Great initial impressions Unity. With that said, slap on the small tips and try the above

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #1,290 of 3,454
Added the following to my post:

Ok, quick attempt. During music, I would go anywhere from 5-7 down from max(iphone4). I used 5 down(provably should've used 6?), closed my eyes and slowly climbed up from 10hz; started to hear bass around 18, a steady climb to about 1320Hz with a small dip right after, steady climb again to the apex of the the peak around 51200Hz followed by a downhill run, a small attempt at coming back up around 10,000Hz, hear treble up to about ~17860Hz.

At 7 down, it starts around 21hz, rest stays the same. I was expecting the end of the treble to move :/.

Used ASG 2 double flange tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back