Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 12, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #767 of 8,309
Violectric sure seems nice but is it really a budget amp?

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #768 of 8,309
toschek, if you haven`t read yet: http://www.head-fi.org/t/551173/review-violectric-hpa-v200-amp

But yeah, imo it isn´t budget amp, it`s class foward.

e: Btw, have been watching movies/serials through Aune T1 some days now (with 6N23P reflector) and listened littlebit music before switching back to amperex for real music enjoyment - that reflector is "crap" compared to amperex I have! It has very narrow soundstage in every direction, very foward sounding, overall soundstage is "dull & dry" sounding and like listening through some "fabric wall", roughly said like listening "mono". It makes me wonder if rocket logo is so much different? I think I should try rockets just for comparing.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #769 of 8,309
Quote:

Thanks, tell me about violectric's sound if you don't mind.  Is it free from coloration?  Does it alter the output in any other ways - soundstage, transients, etc.?  Thanks a bunch. 

It's difficult to be very precise about the V200 as I am still using the Aune T1 as a DAC, and the T1 adds colouration to begin with, also depending on the lamp I am using. The other side of the coin is that this is quite fun to experiment with. 

But naturally I have been comparing the V200 (still breaking in) with the Aune T1 by trying to match the volume and simply switching the headphone plug between the two which is quite easy. In effect I am comparing the amplifier part of the T1 with the V200. Of course, I never expected this to be a fair fight considering the price gap between the two and the only reason I mentioned this is that someone was considering changing headphones and I was at that point myself not long ago.

I would say the V200 is on the so slightly darker/warmer side of neutral.  It doesn't take a long listen to notice the V200 is one or two classes above the T1 and it really opens up the HD650s. It helps bring out the treble (but no sibilance and such) and makes the sound more dynamic and better detailed. It also adds to the soundstage. Given that some of those are the weaker points of the HD650s the overall result is great.

P.S.: When I said a bigger budget, I didn't mean to say the V200 is a budget option. It's clearly not, at around 700 GBP new, but can definitely make cans sing. What I have at home at the moment are the Beyer T1s and Senn HD650s and both sound greatly improved. On a side note I am actually now enjoying my HD650s more than the T1s, but this is my personal bias due to the music genres I mostly listen to.

My personal conclusion out of this is: 
less expensive headphones + great amp > flagship headphones + budget amp

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #770 of 8,309
negura, you should try T1 with Tesla PCC88 (yellow logo, 32, made in czech, tiny thick ring getter) with your HD650, it might also help to bring out more highs. These should be same as I have: http://www.tubemonger.com/MINT_NOS_Tesla_PCC88_1971_Tesla_Ro_nov_VrchlabiCOS_p/836-cos.htm

e: I have like 1st one on this pic: http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/9yms2.j7rx4/v/vspfiles/photos/1019-2.jpg?1359372946

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #771 of 8,309
Quote:
negura, you should try T1 with Tesla PCC88 (yellow logo, 32, made in czech, tiny thick ring getter) with your HD650, it might also help to bring out more highs. These should be same as I have: http://www.tubemonger.com/MINT_NOS_Tesla_PCC88_1971_Tesla_Ro_nov_VrchlabiCOS_p/836-cos.htm

e: I have like 1st one on this pic: http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/9yms2.j7rx4/v/vspfiles/photos/1019-2.jpg?1359372946

Great, will check it out, should complement my set very nicely. And as I have a pair of Audeze LCD-2s on the way, it should help with those too. I know I am going against my own advice here and I should have probably upgraded the DAC first, but I couldn't pass this deal. :D

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #772 of 8,309
In case you missed my impressions about that tube:
Got my Tesla PCC88, same as shown and described here: jda1951.xanga.com/770095693/tesla-pcc88/
Had it inside T1 only like 10min, so can`t give accurate feedback atm but it`s pretty much like it says on the link above:
Quote:

Bass is solid but never draws undue attention to itself.
Midrange is clear if a little lean making dialogue easy to understand.
Detail is excellent with a crisp transient response.
Upper treble is extended and airy.
Dynamics are top-notch and the overall presentation is quick, peppy, and sparkly.
Not as grainless as the best (Amperex, Telefunken and Siemens).
Soundstage is wide, well-layered and populated with larger, slightly more diffuse images

First impressions say that it`s maybe littlebit leaned into bright side, top-end treble is very sparkly and bright but airy. Soundstage is wide and airy but is pushed littlebit to foward and slightly more narrow/centre-weighted, also vertical soundstage is narrow, compared to 6922EH and Tungsram PCC88. It seems to be good tube and maybe better for classical music but I personally prefer 6922EH and Tungsram PCC88 to it. Will take longer listening session when I get my Mullard ECC88 and give more analytical impressions.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #773 of 8,309
I went ahead and purchased a pair of these as I reckon it's not bad pricing for a NOS pair.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181074929083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

There's another pair left, same seller, different listing, if anyone is interested.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #774 of 8,309
Quote:
e: Btw, have been watching movies/serials through Aune T1 some days now (with 6N23P reflector) and listened littlebit music before switching back to amperex for real music enjoyment - that reflector is "crap" compared to amperex I have! It has very narrow soundstage in every direction, very foward sounding, overall soundstage is "dull & dry" sounding and like listening through some "fabric wall", roughly said like listening "mono". It makes me wonder if rocket logo is so much different? I think I should try rockets just for comparing.

I guess reflector and rocket shouldn't sound so much different and my rocket doesn't sound even remotely as bad as you described. It is narrower and more forward sounding than the EH for sure, but it definitely doesn't make it sound bad or even monoish. I find it very pleasurable and balanced, especially for blues and rock. Maybe you should get these and compare: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6N23P-E88CC-6DJ8-TUBES-NOS-NEW-USSR-MILITARY-FOR-AUDIO-AMP-PREAMP-VINTAGE-/170978975997?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27cf2420fd

Btw what tubes would you recommend for me to try. I wouldn't mind trying something with EH like sound stage. EH is very close of being the tube of choice for me, but like I've been drawing here there seems to be something wrong with the imaging (I have to emphasize that this is personal since most members here seem to love that tube and don't find these issues).

Side note: I have 2 of those rockets and have only briefly A/Bing them once I got them. During this testing I thought the other tube sounded better and have been using that one ever since. Maybe I should do some more comparison to see if there are indeed any noticeable differences.

Edit: Would somebody be interested of loaning/switching tubes. The don't weight too much so it would be cheap to send them around. This way we don't need to buy all the tubes we want to test.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #775 of 8,309
negura, I bought mine from same seller :wink: 

Salvatore, all I said was put in "" and exaggerated but you get the point. I`m not trying to say that 6N23P reflektor is bad but compared to amperex it`s just no-go for my personal taste and hearing. Rock/metal/progressive/classical guitar etc. - all sound much much better with amperex.

Only tube I have with very similiar soundstage to EH is Tungsram PCC88, read my earlier impressions in this thread. 

E: Salvatore, seems our locations are not so far apart, maybe I`ll consider changing tubes with you :wink:

e2: Unbelievable! Bought 1 NOS Mazda (Mullard) PCC189 from eBay for 5£. Dispatched today and got this PM:
Hi
Thanks for payment,I have sent you 2 as I found another one,you can have this for free,please leave good feedback
Thanks Gareth

O_o ...there`s still generous and good ppl left in the world! I think I`ll make him another payment if I like these tubes! 
One of my ideologic principles - do good and you`ll find good!

Feb 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #777 of 8,309
This one? -> http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/6922-E88CC-Tube-Types/JJ-E88CC-6922

e: 

hey Aune T1 owners - raise the popularity of T1! -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/643537/dac-popularity-check-2013-edition/105#post_9153058

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #779 of 8,309
I want to thank the Aune T1 for bringing me back to the Dave Matthews Band.

Back in my college days, I was a loyal fan. I had a huge collection of CD's of many bands, but lost the whole thing. There was a girl involved, and YES, it was worth it all the pain and collateral damage...

...but I digress.

I recently replaced the main two - Crash and Under the table and dreaming. (Been snatching up lots of "old" albums from back in my younger years)

WOW
basshead.gif

Epic through my rig. Almost a single tear rolls down my cheek.

And so continues the recent drain to my wallet.
atsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #780 of 8,309
Quote:
I have the hd650 and the t1 drives it great with the right tube there is no muddy bass. In fact I rarely get over 12 on the knob

The problem isn't with the tube since it is part of the dac and I used different DACs with the amp circuit of the T1. Still had muddy bass everytime. That 500 Ohm peak is really hard to drive properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back