Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #737 of 8,309
I belive you but I`m kinda pedant about these little things.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #738 of 8,309
*gasp* All of a sudden my iMac won't detect the T1. I've tried restarting, switching usb ports, and usb cables. The unit warms up, and the light turns on, but it's not being detected by the iMac. Can someone please shed some insight on what I might try please?!

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #739 of 8,309
Are you maybe running parallels or VMware fusion?  Check your guest VM if so and see if it has taken over the T1.  You should be able to disconnect it from the menu. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #740 of 8,309
I'm afraid not. I'm only running OS X Lion at the moment :frowning2:

It was actually working fine for a good week or so, and then suddenly tonight it just stopped working. Nothing really different. I had installed Bit Perfect and even then it worked fine, but waking the computer just this evening proved to be an unhappy event...

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #741 of 8,309
Feb 11, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #742 of 8,309
Quote:
sorry double...

Edit: @toschek Dude! Not a bad idea to go for the high end senns, but please PLEASE consider of going straight for the HD800s. You can get used for decent price and they should be far superior as compared to 700s. I think 700s are overpriced and you should at least try the 800s first.

I tried both and I preferred the sound of the 700s.  I thought the HD 800s were kind of over-resolving if that's possible.   The 700s came closer to my ideal than the 800s, but I will give them another try with my own amp.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #743 of 8,309
Quote:
Are you maybe running parallels or VMware fusion?  Check your guest VM if so and see if it has taken over the T1.  You should be able to disconnect it from the menu. 

There was someone else who had an issue like this with their mac and it was solved by switching usb ports. If switching ports doesn't help then I don't know....The cause of the problem is currently unknown but there seems to be a problem with several USB DACs and Macs last time I did a google search on the issue.

On another forum a guy had problems with his Fiio and said this worked "...hold down the option key and click the sound icon to manually select the DAC as the output device."

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #744 of 8,309
Ok I thought you had only tried 700s and hence suggested to go for the 800s. If you have tested them both then you know. I have only tested 800s couple of times and they have always wowed me.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #745 of 8,309
To zerogun:

http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Resetting-The-Smc-System-Management-Controller-On-Your-Mac.htm

That article may be helpful if all else fails.

edit:addressed wrong poster

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #746 of 8,309
hmm that's something new about the Mac I didn't know :) thanks guys for the responses. I ran Onyx and now its seems to have worked. Probably some associations that were wrong, and needed rebuilding. But if anyone else should run across this, and you've exhausted the physical changes, I'd suggest running Onyx to get the file system rebuilt/refreshed ...gosh I'm glad I have the sound back now...

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #747 of 8,309
Yeah, I liked the 800s, but I thought the treble was kind of harsh and they were too heavy for long periods of use.   The 700s seem like they have the right balance of everything I like, although I am quite apprehensive about spending $700+ on headphones.   Don't tell my wife please guys, I seriously fear for my junk right now.

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #748 of 8,309
Cheers from the snowy Milan! :)

toschek,
I have the HD700 (chose them over HD800) and my T1 should come on Friday - so if you would wait a couple of days, I will post impressions.
Will be using it as a tube DAC with Violectric hpa v200

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #749 of 8,309
Thanks dePhil.  Unfortunately I have only 3 days left to return my K 702 Annies, so I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger on these now regardless.   I hate buying blind, but I did have an hour with the 700/800s and I really fell hard for the 700s in the space of that hour.   I won't have a chance to A/B with the Annies, but based on the time I spent with the 700s I am sure I will be satisfied with them.   Going to be interesting going through the whole tube rolling process to find the best fit again.

I'm sort of sad to see the Annies go, but I can't afford two sets of cans right now.   Maybe someday in the future I'll have that luxury.

The Aune T1 just doesn't have the power to drive the HD 800s, and probably I will have to buy a separate amp for the 700s as well.   I believe I'll be able to get about 300mW out of the T1 at 150 ohms, which should be sufficient for now but not nearly the 400mW that these suckers demand.   Any ideas on a cheap and extremely neutral (as close to 0 coloration as possible) amp only that I can use with the T1?   Solid state is preferable in this case, I don't want any more tubes in the chain -- I'll rely on the DAC alone for the "tube sound" and the amp as standalone just driving the headphones.   Something at or under $300 is best.   I was considering the Schiit Asgard 2, any thoughts?

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #750 of 8,309

Users who are viewing this thread

Back