Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for FAQ--Updated on 02/14/15***
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #781 of 8,309
Well, with my HD681, HD662F and speakers I haven`t heard "muddy" bass... guess it`s HD650 sexual unmatch with T1. 

Grevlin, still haven`t got your Amperex? 

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #782 of 8,309
Quote:
Well, with my HD681, HD662F and speakers I haven`t heard "muddy" bass... guess it`s HD650 sexual unmatch with T1. 

Grevlin, still haven`t got your Amperex? 

Nope

I've received moon rocks faster.

But I'm assured its "in the mail."

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #783 of 8,309
I'd try it with the aune dac There is no muddy bass. I have to imagine that the aune amp is designed specifically for a tube buffered input firstly. Also why not utilize the the actual selling point of the aune. If you wanted just a regular ss amp there are better for the money.

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #784 of 8,309
toschek,

I guess I somewhat betrayed the the team - yesterday traded my Violectric/HD700 combo for WA6/HD800.

Anyway - cant wait now for the T1 to arrive and see how the valve dac will perform with the valve amp 
L3000.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #786 of 8,309
Hi Guys, I'm experimenting with my brand new T1. I'm still listening & comparing Electro Harmonix 6922H vs Genalex Gold Lion E88CC/6922. My HP is a Sennheiser HD598. So far so good, I like more the Genalex. It's really detailed, the soundstage is big, there is a good equilibrium between the bass, mids and highs. I'm totally satisfied with the Genalex. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #787 of 8,309
mbohupa, please try to bring out more head-to-head differences. You say that soundstage is big but how is it exactly compared to EH... vertical saundstage is same? Centerpoint of listener? Wideness? air & room reverb? Vocals? ...and so on. I`m also interested about gold lion but need more impressions.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #788 of 8,309
Hi Guys,

I own The T1 for about a month ago, and now that I have some time listening with it, I would like to update my impressions.

I Have a k271mkII and I got myself a hd650 for a nice price. I have the rocket logo 6n23p the 6922EH and I've found a used E188CC from RTC( suresnes factory ) early 70's.

First I must say the T1 drive the Hd650 very well, it is clear in the high, beautiful mids, bass is controlled ( depending on the tube ), with the fiio e11, my hd650 sounds very dark and somewhat dull, clearly underpowered. It still plays very loud, but it doesn't have the control of the T1.

For tubes now.

The 6n23p is very close/front sounding, it manages a good separation in instruments, but doesn't feel open, it's almost like the hd650 was a closed can. The mids are very good, a little grainy with good presence in the lower mids, male voices sounds very good !, treble are a bit too much some times with the akg. Very present and bodied bass, but muddy and not so controlled, sounds pleasing at first, but becomes unreadable with some fast metal for example.
I have to say, that i feel my tube is not a good one, because I have a lot of microphonics, if I tap gently with a pen on it while playing, i can hear a ringing, also when not playing i have crackling noise with volume to 11o clock for example. And i Can't put a +3db equ on any frequ without distortion...

The 6922EH is a more clean tube, still microphonic with resonance in the treble, but definetely more soundstage than 6n23p.
It lacks the body of the russian tube, bass is less present, but more controlled, mids are nice, but less than the russian, and the treble is too much with hd650 and overwhelming with akg. it sounds good with calm electro like the panta du prince ( thanks for that link :)  )and some atmospheric music. 

The E188CC wow :)  That's the real deal guys !

soundstag is amazing, it keeps the front presentation, and add width and depth to it, really cool, mids are wonderful, voices are so natural, no more harshness in the treble, very detailed and smooth presentation, bass is tight and goes deeper, but a bit less present, dynamics are better also, no more microphonics or noise thanks to it's mica springs, With both the senn and the akg, these are the winners to my ears, no doubt about it... with any kind of music :)

Remember it is subjective, and only my ears impressions :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #789 of 8,309
Could you please give me a link to where you got that E188CC tube. Same goes with mbohuba and his gold lion.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #790 of 8,309
Genalex gold lion is quite widely available: http://www.cryoset.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=317&osCsid=e4m0cjj2bnkg77k74htqu0s6g7

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #791 of 8,309
I picked a used one from a french reseller on ebay, The nos ones are going nuts in price, I've found that particular one for 30€ measured at 95%

Just beware of the measurements, and that the code one glass is starting by VR

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #792 of 8,309
Quote:
I picked a used one from a french reseller on ebay, The nos ones are going nuts in price, I've found that particular one for 30€ measured at 95%

Just beware of the measurements, and that the code one glass is starting by VR

Oui je les ai vues ces annonces .. et je les ai eu en suivi sur ebay pendant un moment.
biggrin.gif

For english readers: I couldn't resist to spek in french to my countryman
biggrin.gif
. i followed in my ebay the tubes he purchased :wink:  and from my experience, my E188CC is my best tube too. the more detailed , balanced , natural , tamed trebles , bodied and textured mids , clean and extended bass ... it's not impressible but it just seems this tube plays music the right way

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #793 of 8,309
Could you share if you know some legit ebay seller.

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #794 of 8,309
Swetting @ eBay auction - who has more money ;D Keep away from my E188CC! ;D

e: just kidding, I`m hunting another amperex single support leg dimple disc for backup :wink:

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #795 of 8,309
Well guys, I am at a crossroads here. I picked up a Schiit Lyr today for a really good price and well .... I guess I could go two ways now. On the one hand, I could keep the T1 and use it as a DAC going forward, or I could pick up a separate DAC (ODAC comes to mind). The Lyr is exciting because I already have matched Amperex 7308s for it, with Telefunken 6922/ECC88s on the way. If I move the 7308s over to the Lyr though, I am thinking I really don't want to have tubes in the DAC and amp stages, the coloration will probably be off and I really don't want to buy another 7308 to have all three tubes the same (or do I? Maybe there's a case for it?).

Anyway, I wanted to get your opinions here. Keep the T1 or buy a different DAC and put the T1 up for sale? What do you guys think?

EDIT: Bought the ODAC, will try both and keep the one that works best with this setup. Would anyone want to buy the T1 if I put it up for sale? I'll throw in a rocket logo 6N23P, 6N11 & 6922EH --- all together w/ shipping in the continental US for $200 (I'll even cover paypal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back