AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today
Nov 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #61 of 957
Almost all headphones from mid-fi to hifi come with poor cables, all beyerdynamic come with none detachable cables, of poor quality. For average headphones poor cables is fine, for high end headphones a good cable is something you would expect to get, but that's not the case. People pay 30-50% of headphone price for recabling with cables like cardas , Stefans art and so on...
Somehow this important part of headphone is overlooked by all brands, it's like folks from sennheiser beyerdynamic grado audeze audiotechnica fostex and others once sett in a dark room and whispered " let's make great headphones, but with cheap cables" and evil laughed, then turned to bats and flyed off before sunrise...

I'm excited about audioquest making a headphone, their cables are good, hope they change the game and bring high quality cabling to headphones, it's about time!

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #62 of 957
Hmm 3.5mm connector, probably means targeted at portable use, probably means low impedance and high efficiency, probably means hard to achieve adequate dampening factor.  Probably means I can stop following this thread and just wait to see if this pop's up on Tyll's radar or not.

Witness my pro speculation j/k

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #63 of 957
Although if they are using OEM pieces like the Denon drivers (rather than in-house designed from scratch), it shouldn't cost too much. But it will anyway.

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #65 of 957
popcorn.gif

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #67 of 957
Do the Denon drivers have that rubber surround?

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #68 of 957
  Do the Denon drivers have that rubber surround?

Good point. The Denon diaphragms are decoupled from the rim area. These look like loudspeaker drivers....but the surface looks the same as the Denons.

Nov 15, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #70 of 957
That pic is from Denon's official site so it can't be wrong.
I found this on their Japanese site.
www.denon.jp/jp/product/pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=9304a5da-da4f-431b-8254-a93118c0a370&SubId=238b52c3-1617-41ac-be3f-436007364b92&ProductId=5588adb2-1f2f-4aec-b7c2-34f7b27baead#.VGgRDVesWy0

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #71 of 957
I have a feeling they will create a line of upgrade cables for their headphones.  Today I got a Dragonfly 1.2 and their Evergreen RCA to 3.5mm adapter, cable feels sturdy enough and it's pretty much their entry label cable of the sort and looks like it will last, but yeah I think they are the type to release a silver cable upgrade for these cans.

Nov 16, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #73 of 957
Hey everyone, I thought I would jump in and answer some questions. This community has given so much to me that I hope to start contributing back...

CanJam March 28–29 2015: Given AudioQuest's proximity to the event, it would be a crime not to attend. I will be there with a smile on my face and NightHawk headphones in hand.

Price: Not gonna say yet! But given the performance compared to other flagships, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Although we are, indeed, definitely reading this thread, nothing said here will affect the pricing.

Liquid Wood is not plastic and contains no synthetic components. It is real wood, 100% biodegradable, and carbon-neutral in its manufacture. Perfecting the processing of the material in concert with the acoustic and aesthetic design of the earcups took about 2 years of my life. I am "unapologetically" proud of what we have accomplished. Further, I think listeners will be delighted by the feel of the material and resulting experience.

Cable terminations: We feel that offering a 3.5mm plug and including an unobtrusive 1/4"-to-3.5mm adaptor makes NightHawk more flexible in its use versus a cable with 1/4" plug that must be adapted to 3.5mm with a bulky, awkward adaptor. That said, we plan to make a 1/4" version of this cable for purists. We also noticed a distinct lack of quality 1/4"-to-3.5mm adaptors on the market, so we decided to build the best one ever made! It will come with NightHawk and be available separately...and also be affordable.

Driver: We are using a true biocellulose (not PET with fiber) diaphragm. This is not the driver used in any Denon, Fostex, or other headphones. It was designed by me and has several unique, patented and patent-pending design elements. I won't go into too much detail here, but my key goals were pistonic motion and reduction of IMD and THD to lower-than-achieved-before levels. This was done through material selection, a unique motor topology never before done in headphones, and intelligent airflow management. Sorry...trying not to sound too much like an infomercial here guys...forgive me.

Thanks for the comments, everybody. I can't wait for you to hear it!

jmm-aq-nighthawk-bye-bye-purple-400.png

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #74 of 957
I've heard from one of my dealers that it will probably be in the $600-700 range.

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #75 of 957
I personally quite like the look of these, But hearing them is another thing.
Unfortunately the only local store to me thats anything close to a hi-fi shop is a Richer Sounds, who currently stock Sennheiser, Grado and Audio Technica.
So I always end up having to blind buy new cans when they're not one of those three brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back