Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jun 19, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #166 of 751
Got these in today and they sound great! More info tomorrow! The box is trashed though thanks to Amazon. 
mad.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #167 of 751
frankly i was some what disappointed with these headphones. I got them brand new from japan a few months ago and had high expectations since i listen to female vocals (j-pop) 85% of the time but i found them to be a bit too bright/pitchy. I also gave it a chance with classical cause i heard it does a good job with string and it was good but nothing that wowed me per se. I ended up selling them after using it for 20, 30 hours. Just wondering though, does burn in have a huge effect on these headphones? I doubt i listened to these long enough to experience its top after burn in performance but i still doubt i would ve kept them none the less. (much happier now with denon d2000 modded with d7000 cups) No offense to ad900x lovers out there though. I like audio technica and esw9 is my current go to portable at the moment (although they have recessed mids instead of foward mids like ad900x in my opinion)

edit: ahh sorry i thought it was for ad900x, i miss read the "a900x" my apologies 

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #168 of 751
I didn't think this would happen, but the A900X is my favorite pair of headphones.
Technically the Denon D5000s are better and with some audiophile recordings they definitely have a more authentic tonality and instrumental timbre, but the A900s are true allrounders, they are very easy going, and sound good with every recording.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #170 of 751
Quote:
Do the A900x's sound dry or do they have a bit of lushness to them? I'm trying to decide between these and Beyerdynamic DT250's.

I really do like the sound that comes from my ATH-A900X, to me everything is well balanced, I would not say the sound is dry.
And as Digbuy is selling the ATH-A900X for $154.99, plus tax & shipping, I think it's a great value, as I paid $256 for mine.

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #171 of 751
Quote:
I really do like the sound that comes from my ATH-A900X, to me everything is well balanced, I would not say the sound is dry.
And as Digbuy is selling the ATH-A900X for $154.99, plus tax & shipping, I think it's a great value, as I paid $256 for mine.

Thanks for your input. Do you know how they compare against the Beyerdynamic DT250?

Jun 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #172 of 751
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Do you know how they compare against the Beyerdynamic DT250?

I do like Beyerdynamic headphones, I own 7 of them.
But I'm not sure how the DT250 sounds or compares to the sound of the ATH-A900X.
I would think the DT250 do need some amping to sound their best,
where as the ATH-A900X are low impedance and should sound good plugged into anything.
The DT250 do appear to be headphones that would be easier to wear and travel with.

Jun 20, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #173 of 751
Quote:
Do the A900x's sound dry or do they have a bit of lushness to them?

Soundstage-wise they are far from being dry, they have an airy and wide sound.
I find the sound to be very lush, I think maybe a bit bigger than is natural.
The tonality however I find slightly more dry than the tonality of the Denon D5000s, the treble seems more textured with the A900Xs, not more detailed. It is less liquid than D5000s treble, but still smoother overall, which seems contradicting, but it's because D5000s treble is more energetic which can be fatiguing. A9000Xs treble, though technically 'rougher texturerd' is more subdued and darker.

Jun 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #174 of 751

So I got these 2 days ago from amazon warehouse used. Man i love these headphones! For once i don't have any regrets with my purchase! :atsmile:

They fit a lot better than expected. Yea they tend to slide down a bit but it isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. When using a rubber band the problem is gone. I don't need to use one though which is surprising since i always thought i have a smaller than average head. Im only 5 ft. 2 in. btw.

The sound is fantastic imo! The bass is smooth and extends well. The mids are classic Audio Technica. Slight emphasis on the upper mids that make vocals so desirable. The treble is nice and airy. It can be slightly sibilant but only if it's in the track. It's WAY less sibilant than the amperiors i had before. Soundstage is also fantastic especially for a closed-back.

I did run some brown noise on these for around 40 minutes which seemed to have taken some edge off the highs. Those impressions above were from after that "burn in".

The thing that kind of pissed me off was the way Amazon (re)packaged the box. They put a bunch of tape around it that i had to cut to get it open. If i try to pull any of the tape off it rips the cardboard!

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #175 of 751
I'm considering these headphones as my first high end pair, but the disparity of opinions on the bass level disturbs me. It seems to range from "the bass is pretty good I dont find myself wanting more" to "wow these headphones have NO BASS"

So this might be a crapshoot of a question, but how does the bass compare to the Klipsch Image S4 IEMs?

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #176 of 751
These cans are most definitely not lacking in bass! They do, IMHO, need some amplification though (to keep everything tight and under control).

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #178 of 751
Quote:
I'm considering these headphones as my first high end pair, but the disparity of opinions on the bass level disturbs me. It seems to range from "the bass is pretty good I dont find myself wanting more" to "wow these headphones have NO BASS"

So this might be a crapshoot of a question, but how does the bass compare to the Klipsch Image S4 IEMs?

In general when people first get into high end headphones they want a pair with some serious bass. A lot of new members will rave about headphones that are bass intensive, and think they are really good headphones. If they were to put on a pair like the A900x they'll go "where's the bass?!?!", but only because that is the only thing they've really trained their ears to hear. 

These are excellent headphones, especially for the price. Recalling this vs. the Klipsch S4 is really stretching my memory. I believe the S4 would have a noticeable quantity of bass. The AD900x has much more controlled bass, but I believe the real winner is the clarity. The S4 always sounded a little muddy and hazy around the mid range a treble. The AD900x is much clearer through the mids and presents a clear image of the music. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #179 of 751
Quote:
I'm considering these headphones as my first high end pair, but the disparity of opinions on the bass level disturbs me. It seems to range from "the bass is pretty good I don't find myself wanting more" to "wow these headphones have NO BASS"

The A900Xs are not "full" bass headphones, but to me it's just the right amount of bass.
Bass is ok out of the box, but it took my A900Xs more then a month to break in.
Guessing some testers reviewed "unbroken in" A900Xs. so had some negative things to say

Not great for use with receivers, not because of sound quality, they just can't seem to get really loud.
Otherwise i plug the A900xs into everything else.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #180 of 751
In general when people first get into high end headphones they want a pair with some serious bass. A lot of new members will rave about headphones that are bass intensive, and think they are really good headphones. If they were to put on a pair like the A900x they'll go "where's the bass?!?!", but only because that is the only thing they've really trained their ears to hear. 

These are excellent headphones, especially for the price. Recalling this vs. the Klipsch S4 is really stretching my memory. I believe the S4 would have a noticeable quantity of bass. The AD900x has much more controlled bass, but I believe the real winner is the clarity. The S4 always sounded a little muddy and hazy around the mid range a treble. The AD900x is much clearer through the mids and presents a clear image of the music. 

The A900Xs are not "full" bass headphones, but to me it's just the right amount of bass.
Bass is ok out of the box, but it took my A900Xs more then a month to break in.
Guessing some testers reviewed "unbroken in" A900Xs. so had some negative things to say

Not great for use with receivers, not because of sound quality, they just can't seem to get really loud.
Otherwise i plug the A900xs into everything else.

Thanks, these are exactly the responses I was looking for

Users who are viewing this thread

Back