Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
May 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #151 of 751
Quote:
Ehhh from what I've seen ebay has the AD900x for around 190 to 200+... Amazon has them for $185 from a seller right now and you get backed by Amazon's customer service.  Yes Amazon's customer service is quite killer when it comes to problems submitted by the customer.  You submit a single complaint and it most likely results in a full refund for you XD

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009S331VU/sr=8-1/qid=1369895248/ref=olp_tab_new?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&condition=new&me=&qid=1369895248&seller=&sr=8-1

scroll down to see the vendors from japan

hmmm or this ebay vendor, ships from hong kong and has 98% positive reviews!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-BRAND-NEW-AUDIO-TECHNICA-ATH-AD900X-AUDIOPHILE-OPEN-AIR-HEADPHONE-/271200121331?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f24c971f3

Also if I may ask, what kind of music do you usually listen to? The AD900x and A900x handle different genres 

The thing is how trusty are these ebay sellers? Is there any chance that i will buy a fake AD900X? They can be had for approx the same amount in ebay or Amazon. I usually buy more from ebay and i want to be sure that i am buying from a trusted seller. I especially like this seller because they offer cheap expedited shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181112923180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

May 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #153 of 751

The thing is how trusty are these ebay sellers? Is there any chance that i will buy a fake AD900X? They can be had for approx the same amount in ebay or Amazon. I usually buy more from ebay and i want to be sure that i am buying from a trusted seller. I especially like this seller because they offer cheap expedited shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181112923180?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Ebay Buyer Protection covers counterfeit products: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-protection.html (at the very bottom)

May 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #154 of 751

Just got my brand new pair of Audio Technica ATH-A900X‘s!!! OH YEEEAAAUUUHHH!! I thought I'd share my enthusiasm on this appreciation thread by showing some pictures in this thread.
L3000.gif

I just got them today. I've only wore them for a combined 60 minutes. I did some quick cross examining between these and my Audio Technica T400's, and right away I could tell that there was a difference in sound quality. The first thing I noticed is that the high's on the A900X are a lot more discrete and balanced, where as the T400 it was a little over the top. The sound stage on the A900X was also much more broad, letting me take advantage of fading and intertwining sounds & vocals. The bass is light on the A900X, but when I feel it, it's tight and not muddy. I would like the bass to be more punchy however, considering that I mainly listen to Trance & Techno, but my Fiio E11 that I'll order tomorrow should help out in that department as well as many others. I really haven't made a decision on how I feel about the mids quite yet, I'm withholding my first impression comment on that segment until I listen to it more. I'm listening to these cans on normal setting with no EQ settings, and I think it sounds great.

Now, I've been hearing comfort issues surrounding these headphones but I'm here to say that they are so far fitting nicely. HOWEVER, that may change over time so don't hold me to that comment. I really don't know how big my head is compared to others, but it's fitting quite well with no sign of slippage or "clamping".

Now onto the size. These cans are lack of a better word - Massive. 53mm drivers!!! 

The cord is very lengthy... I don't understand why manufacturers have to make the cords so damn long... Especially for folks who want to use headphones for commuting/walking, we'd prefer to have short (3ft - 4ft is perfect length) cords so that we don't need to hassle with the extra cord length... But whatever I guess. That's just a peeve, not con.

Over all, these are well worth the $180 price tag, especially considering that these MSRP for $300. 

Whoa....  
basshead.gif
 I'm listening to a track called "Sweetest Dreams - Ferry Corsten Remix" and the soundstage is very impressive actually. Listening to that just blew me away.

Anyway folks, I just thought I'd share my first impression of these cans. I'm here to inform future buyers or people that are interested in these headphones that they are certified awesome and a wise investment in closed/sealed headphones. 
gs1000.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #155 of 751
Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone on headfi actually had benefit from amping the a900x. I purchased the FiiO E07K and I couldn't hear a day and night difference (or a difference at all for that matter) when it was amped.

Yes I do amp my A900x but you might not hear a difference if you don't EQ the A900x and also amp them right.  Without proper amping the A900x doesn't give the fullest of sound stages if you're using a iPhone or a desktop sound card is too poopy.  The FiiO E07K isn't exactly the best of FiiO's amps as the bit rate is quite low and won't give the same full sound as the Fiio E10 or E17 which run at 24bit/96hz.  I believe the E07k only runs at 48bit/16hz which is kinda low.  The Fiio E11 ran at the same specs and I remember I didn't like that amp at all and after using the E10 and E17, the difference of 24/96 to 16/48 is NIGHT and DAY.  MAJOR difference.  If at all possible, return the E07k, (if purchased from amazon simply say the item is defective and say there is a hissing sound produced with the amp or something lol) and purchase a E10 which is a great amp for the price imho.  After that you can boost the mids to give even more insane body than they already have as of now. Also you should try a program named DFX audio enhancer.  I use it even when tuning my Hifiman HE400s and this program seriously does wonders...

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #156 of 751
Quote:

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST my computer is rather stupid and wants to lagggggg me into double posting... ugh... so stupid... Anyways there isn't a chance of you getting a fake AD900x since I check aliexpress LOL and when they sell a known headphone it'll be fake and no other ATH models besides the ATH m50, CKS99, and other various CK model iems have currently been copied.  BUT you do run the risk of buying a broken model. HOWEVER if you use paypal you are protected by ebay buyer protection

In terms of the seller you're looking at, he looks legit as he is from Japan.  Japanese vendors usually don't sell fakes.  Usually its Guangdong, China... If a vendor is from this location, DO NOT BUY AT ALL COSTS no matter how good the deal looks.  Guangdong is VERY WELL known for copying just about anything... They have so many manufacturing plants there just for making counterfeits from purses, watches, headphones, heck even fake dresses.  

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #157 of 751
Quote:
Yes I do amp my A900x but you might not hear a difference if you don't EQ the A900x and also amp them right.  Without proper amping the A900x doesn't give the fullest of sound stages if you're using a iPhone or a desktop sound card is too poopy.  The FiiO E07K isn't exactly the best of FiiO's amps as the bit rate is quite low and won't give the same full sound as the Fiio E10 or E17 which run at 24bit/96hz.  I believe the E07k only runs at 48bit/16hz which is kinda low.  The Fiio E11 ran at the same specs and I remember I didn't like that amp at all and after using the E10 and E17, the difference of 24/96 to 16/48 is NIGHT and DAY.  MAJOR difference.  If at all possible, return the E07k, (if purchased from amazon simply say the item is defective and say there is a hissing sound produced with the amp or something lol) and purchase a E10 which is a great amp for the price imho.  After that you can boost the mids to give even more insane body than they already have as of now. Also you should try a program named DFX audio enhancer.  I use it even when tuning my Hifiman HE400s and this program seriously does wonders...

The fiio e07k andes mighht have 24/96khz support since windows 7 lets me choose that setting. 
The reason I said might is that it could be a simulated bitrate. Some websites say that it has 96/24 support, which it does on my pc. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #158 of 751
A friend of mine owed me $50 bucks... 

Yesterday I was at this friends house and over in the corner of his desk was a pair of A900x cans... still in the box.

I asked my friend about them... he stated that he had purchased them a while back and that he didnt like them as well as he liked his Plantronic headset...

So I mentioned that I would consider them in trade for the %50 that he owed me... he accepted so I now have a nice pair of cans for my head... Just need an amplifier now!!

What would you guys suggest for a desktop amplifier?

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #159 of 751
Quote:
A friend of mine owed me $50 bucks... 

Yesterday I was at this friends house and over in the corner of his desk was a pair of A900x cans... still in the box.

I asked my friend about them... he stated that he had purchased them a while back and that he didnt like them as well as he liked his Plantronic headset...

So I mentioned that I would consider them in trade for the %50 that he owed me... he accepted so I now have a nice pair of cans for my head... Just need an amplifier now!!

What would you guys suggest for a desktop amplifier?

A900X doesn't need much(if any) amplification. A FiiO E9, Schiit Magni or similar will do as well as a more expensive amp in this case. A semi-decent DAC is something I'd recommend though(especially as a good DAC will often outlast your amp in the upgrade cycle). Something like the ODAC or Schiit Modi will easily last you for some time.

Jun 13, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #161 of 751
Ordered these very good on Amazon from the warehouse deals. I would've got the buydig deal but I had a lot of Amazon credit and no cash 
frown.gif
. Hopefully it is in good condition. Probably no box though. 
frown.gif

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #163 of 751
They arrived!
Yep, I had to pay tax.
Bummer
So in total these headphones (Phones+shipping+tax) have cost me whopping 250 euro, still 150 euro cheaper than I had to pay in the Netherlands.

The built quality is good, but still there is a somewhat cheap vibe about them, in comparison with my D5000s and Roland RH-300s that is. 

Comfort level? Hmmm, yes they sit somewhat awkward on my head, they sag a bit too low. My other phones are more comfortable, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Sound quality?
To be honest I didn't care much for it the first hour listening to them. A bit hollow, thin and flat sounding.
A couple of hours later I am beginning to like them...love them actually. 
The sound is very balanced, nothing sticks out. Neutral? No I think they are a bit darker than neutral and a bit mid-centric.
They are smooth, though not as smooth as the Rolands and the quality of tone (the tonal character, tonal balance and texture as a whole) is not as natural and true sounding as my D5000s, but only in comparison.
They shine with classical music, a big soundstage that actually is very cohesive. Gone is that peculiar artificial surround sound enhancer-like quality the ATH-A500s possess. 
From memory they are superior than the A900s which I found to be nearly identical to the A500s.
Vocals are exceptionally good with these phones, they definitely beat the D5000s in this aspect. A couple of Bach Cantatas, mid 80's recordings which sound a bit small and thin on the D5000s are big, lush and full sounding on the A9000Xs.
Again, neutral sounding? No they are definitely not neutral sounding, with my Denons and Rolands I can hear bigger differences between recordings, with the A900Xs everything tends to sound big and lush.
Maybe this will change in time? 

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #164 of 751
Quote:
Hey everyone! :D Just wanted to post a little tweak I did to the A900X, which will help those of you who find these cans to be on the bassy side (like me).

I was staring at my ATH-A9X and the ATH-A900X side-by-side.  My A9X has the A1000 pads installed (which is similar in shape and material to its stock pads; it has better pleather than the A900X pads). The A1000 pads has oval opening, while the A900X pads have round opening (which makes the holes a lot bigger).

Bigger holes = more trapped air = more bass.

Since the A9X is bass-shy, and the A900X is too bassy, I came to the sudden realization: Why didn't I think of swapping their pads???

The ATH-A9X with ATH-A900X earpads installed.
 ​
 ​
 ​
The ATH-A900X with ATH-A1000 earpads installed.

The result? Fantastic! :)  The A900X is no longer droning whenever there's even the slightest bass present; the bass no longer bleeds into the mids and I can actually hear the sub-bass extension now. xD The A9X on the other hand received a bass boost - still far from as bassy as the A900X, but since the A9X doesn't even have D.A.D.S., to expect otherwise would be silly.

The A900X is very clearly superior in every way to the A9X - much better treble, much better bass, and much much better sound stage and positioning.  Aside from the subpar stock earpads, I really can't complain.

So, A1000 pads on A900X - simple and highly recommended mod!  Not only does it clean up the bass, but the pleather is a lot softer, more supple, and hugs the face better (which helps reduce sliding - especially if you have issues with the wings). So it's both a comfort & sound quality mod. :)

I joined head-fi just to say that the A1000 ear pads on the A900x are SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable. My ears don't sweat as much now (or so I think) and I can focus on the clarity of the music to which I'm listening. 

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #165 of 751
Quote:
I joined head-fi just to say that the A1000 ear pads on the A900x are SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable. My ears don't sweat as much now (or so I think) and I can focus on the clarity of the music to which I'm listening. 

Does that mean that the sub bass feels more separated from the rest of the frequencies? Because that's what I'm hoping that's what he meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back