Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
May 21, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #751 of 751
I recently replaced the ear pads by a new pair original Audio Technicas pads. Not the most comfortable ear pad, but I didn't want to alter the sound.
These headphones hold up extremely well with my newer pairs. I bought them around the same time as the Denon D5000s. I no longer care for the D5000s, these A900Xs I seem to like better and better with years. They may well have the nicest tonality of every pair I own. Not the most neutral or balanced but so warm and engaging without sounding muffled.
They have some similarities with the R70Xs, but are objectively inferior in every aspect: less resolving capabilities/less details, there is cup resonance due to the closed design, which can result in some ringing at times and there is less depth and more fuzzy imaging. But their warmth and timbre in the upper bass and low mids are truly magical. The bass has some nice punch, but it can be boomy with some tracks.
Soundstage width is above average, the sound is open and intimate at the same time. Truly great allrounders, with the only real drawback the already mentioned cup resonance, which can result in ringing and smearing (grain) in the highs.
I love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back