Audio-Technica ATH-A900X: Impressions, Reviews, Mods, etc.
Jul 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #196 of 751
yeahman68 and others wondering if the A900x need an amp,

After listening to M-50's for a couple of years with an Fiio E-11 amp, I began to really analyze the sound signature and started to turn down the volume and bass. I guess I am starting to become more an audiophile where I want to hear the music more how it was produced instead of how much it thumps. Thump is turning to be mud. So, I would really recommending NOT using an AMP with the A900x. Besides most players and computer have ways to adjust the sound signature "a little" instead of buying an amp. You will train your brain to listen more carefully... Amazing how the headaches went away and I haven't destroyed my hearing! Just my 2 cents.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #197 of 751
I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. How would you guys compare the A900X to the Sennheiser Momentums? Perhaps the only advantage the Momentums have on the A900X is the bass quantity (punch ,thump, etc.)  Aside from this need, it seems like the A900X is really the headphone I'm looking for.  I listen to some bass-demanding genres and would not like to be disappointed as I was with the A950LTD.  The bass of the M50s atleast satisfies the "punch" that I've would like to have exhibited from the lower frequencies.  It has been difficult to get a prediction on the bass of the A900X.  If the A900X has the similiar bass signature to the M50's, I'd be satisfied.  FYI, I was planning to purchase the Fiio E17 as well.

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #198 of 751
I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. How would you guys compare the A900X to the Sennheiser Momentums?

I'd say its better in every way sonically IMO. The bass is tighter. There isn't as much but it's definitely present on the a900x. The mids are more detailed and there is more of an upper mids emphasis rather than a lower mids emphasis on the momentum. There is more treble on the a900x that extends much higher. There is some slight sibilance but nothing irritating like on the hd25. The momentum is warmer and more laid back in the treble. It's still nice and articulate though. The sound stage is also much bigger on the a900x.

The build quality is a lot better on the momentum though since it uses steel, leather and aluminum. The cable is also easily replaceable. On the a900x its mostly plastic with the exception of the aluminum cups which are nice. The cable on the a900x is nice and thick as well but not detachable.

Overall the momentum is a laid back easy to listen to headphone. Definitely on the warmer side. For home use get the a900x and the momentums for portable.

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #199 of 751
Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback, everyone. How would you guys compare the A900X to the Sennheiser Momentums? Perhaps the only advantage the Momentums have on the A900X is the bass quantity (punch ,thump, etc.)  Aside from this need, it seems like the A900X is really the headphone I'm looking for.  I listen to some bass-demanding genres and would not like to be disappointed as I was with the A950LTD.  The bass of the M50s atleast satisfies the "punch" that I've would like to have exhibited from the lower frequencies.  It has been difficult to get a prediction on the bass of the A900X.  If the A900X has the similiar bass signature to the M50's, I'd be satisfied.  FYI, I was planning to purchase the Fiio E17 as well.

The A900Xs have good mid-bass punch, they do lack sub-bass though, espcially in comparison with my D5000s. They certainly have more bass than my Roland RH-300s, which supposedly are very similar to the M50s.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #200 of 751
Hey everyone! :D Just wanted to post a little tweak I did to the A900X, which will help those of you who find these cans to be on the bassy side (like me).

I was staring at my ATH-A9X and the ATH-A900X side-by-side.  My A9X has the A1000 pads installed (which is similar in shape and material to its stock pads; it has better pleather than the A900X pads). The A1000 pads has oval opening, while the A900X pads have round opening (which makes the holes a lot bigger).

Bigger holes = more trapped air = more bass.

Since the A9X is bass-shy, and the A900X is too bassy, I came to the sudden realization: Why didn't I think of swapping their pads???

The ATH-A9X with ATH-A900X earpads installed.

The ATH-A900X with ATH-A1000 earpads installed.

The result? Fantastic! :)  The A900X is no longer droning whenever there's even the slightest bass present; the bass no longer bleeds into the mids and I can actually hear the sub-bass extension now. xD The A9X on the other hand received a bass boost - still far from as bassy as the A900X, but since the A9X doesn't even have D.A.D.S., to expect otherwise would be silly.

The A900X is very clearly superior in every way to the A9X - much better treble, much better bass, and much much better sound stage and positioning.  Aside from the subpar stock earpads, I really can't complain.

So, A1000 pads on A900X - simple and highly recommended mod!  Not only does it clean up the bass, but the pleather is a lot softer, more supple, and hugs the face better (which helps reduce sliding - especially if you have issues with the wings). So it's both a comfort

I joined head-fi just to say that the A1000 ear pads on the A900x are SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable. My ears don't sweat as much now (or so I think) and I can focus on the clarity of the music to which I'm listening. 

Are these the standard A1000 pads (GBP 39.12 incl. VAT from AT UK), or the A1000W pads? Is there another, less expensive source?

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #201 of 751
For people who think the treble is a bit too bright or that there isnt enough bass play this pink noise video. It made a noticeable difference to me. Not yet sure for the better or worse but it's more forgiving of my badly recorded albums now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGDbd8N7Oko

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #202 of 751
How long did you have these headphones? For me 500 hours did it and the treble is nice and "textury". Not sibilant, unless if a "singer" like hatsune miku plays through the a900x, in which her songs are plenty sibilant due to vocaloids having issues pronouncing the "SSSSss"

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #203 of 751
I found the Mad Dog Alpha pads for pretty cheap, and I have to say, this is quite possibly the best purchase I've made thus far.
I think it might've recessed the treble a bit, but my goodness, it feels and sounds wonderful; I've never worn a more comfortable pair (rubber band modded as well; I don't know what these are like without it).

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #204 of 751
Quote:
I found the Mad Dog Alpha pads for pretty cheap, and I have to say, this is quite possibly the best purchase I've made thus far.
I think it might've recessed the treble a bit, but my goodness, it feels and sounds wonderful; I've never worn a more comfortable pair (rubber band modded as well; I don't know what these are like without it).

Would you please elaborate on your new findings of these new found earpads? :D

How was the bass response? Mids? Was the entire treble spectrum recessed, or just the treble peak at 8k-10hz?

Are they less prone to inducing sweat or were they the same?
I'm eager to know because I would really like to keep my a900x for a long time, and plan to just mod them instead of buying other headphones.

By the way, how easy was it to fit the pads on the a900x?

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #205 of 751
How long did you have these headphones? For me 500 hours did it and the treble is nice and "textury". Not sibilant, unless if a "singer" like hatsune miku plays through the a900x, in which her songs are plenty sibilant due to vocaloids having issues pronouncing the "SSSSss"

Were you talking to me? If so then i bought these used so they probably had more hours on them but i had these for around a month and been using them as my primary headphones. I found on some sources (actually just my clip zip) the treble could be a little too sharp on some songs. Out of my receiver though it sounded fine. I just wanted to share that since i know some people have had some problems with too bright treble. :)

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #206 of 751
I can't remember much about the mids, but I believe the bass didn't change much, if at all; it might be slightly more, but nothing overbearing.
As far as treble goes, I'm noticing no lack of clarity -- the violins and cymbals are still quite clean (haven't noticed any sibilance thus far on my better files), and something about these pads does better for the soundstage and imaging; it's hard to describe because I haven't been in the headphones game very long and all I had before these were the M50s, but everything seems more real, I guess.

As for sweat, I don't know, since I don't sweat very much (and don't really notice when I do), but since they isolate my ears completely -and- still have a good clamp, you'll probably be sweating.
I don't have a problem with it, but that's just me.

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #207 of 751
I still worried about that "bad batch" apparently in the 2012-05 marked sticker. I want to order from e bay, but I've been asking and sellers tell me that's the date their boxes are marked with.

anyone now something about this ???

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #208 of 751
I've ordered the A1000 pads. How do I change the pads without damaging them?

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #210 of 751
I ordered a pair of w1000x pads but feel like i should have got the a1000 or w1000 pads even though they were $20 more. Hopefully they come by this week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back