Audio-gd Roc Balanced HP Amp/Pre Amp
Sep 7, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #61 of 85
Audio-gd gear takes lots of warm-up time. You should leave it powered on with no music playing for at least 3 - 4 hours before you listen, OR 1 - 2 hours with music playing through it before you listen. I'd also suggest you try some different power cords if you can. The Phoenix is very responsive to different cords so I'd assume the Roc would be too. (The Reference One on the other hand sounds best to me with the stock cord).

Please keep us updated.

Sep 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't believe I'm the first one to say something about Roc...

Well, got it last Wednesday, it's been "cooking" ever since.

First listen was unimpressive - had it connected via XLR to CA DacMagic while GS Solo (modded 2008 Green) was connected through RCA... During those first hours Solo was "cleaner" and more dynamic - even when the same phones were connected in balanced mode to Roc and "just" SE to Solo...
confused_face_2.gif
a real What moment...

Next day, well... next day things changed. Substantially.

In few words (not to make a review of this) excellent dynamics, loads of power (you have to hear how K701 "behave" under Roc's command), no slightest distortion or noise at any listening level...
k701smile.gif

I'll stop here for now. Roc is still breaking-in. I am in the process of recabling/reterminating my best headphones.
biggrin.gif

Would be great if we could see a comparison of the Roc vs. GS Solo
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #63 of 85
The Roc better win hard, the Solo has jack nothing inside and isn't balanced...it probably doesn't hurt to have a Ref 1 with the Roc though.

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #64 of 85
Yes, I am aware that A-GD stuff works best when warmed up properly. For time being Roc is working 24/7, I turn it off only when connecting cables.

Also ordered A-GD power cables to see if this "voodoo" works with Roc (nonbeliever at the moment). BTW, any of you know where to get reasonably priced Oyaide EU plugs? A-GD ones are strictly US version.

Will see about the review thing... for some serious reviewing I lack time (work, family, travels...), audio descriptive language (also add English as my non-mother-tongue) and self discipline (often just float away with the music)... I will surely update you with my findings and opinions, but do not expect in-depth and uber-organized reviews as some of you are capable of producing. As GS Solo and MF X-Can V2 are, up till now, the only dedicated headamps that I have/know, there will be comparisons with them.

Back to Roc... Do not know if transparency is the proper word, but last few days I started realizing the limitations of my sources (Marantz 63SE, MHDT Paradisea+, CA DacMagic... all reasonably modded). Thing is that, even though I knew that those are not the best sources, before Roc I was reasonably happy with them. Now... I just don't know :|

...and we are at 120h of burning-in. Will keep you posted.

V3

Sep 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #65 of 85
Quote:

Yes, I am aware that A-GD stuff works best when warmed up properly. For time being Roc is working 24/7, I turn it off only when connecting cables.

Also ordered A-GD power cables to see if this "voodoo" works with Roc (nonbeliever at the moment). BTW, any of you know where to get reasonably priced Oyaide EU plugs? A-GD ones are strictly US version.

Will see about the review thing... for some serious reviewing I lack time (work, family, travels...), audio descriptive language (also add English as my non-mother-tongue) and self discipline (often just float away with the music)... I will surely update you with my findings and opinions, but do not expect in-depth and uber-organized reviews as some of you are capable of producing. As GS Solo and MF X-Can V2 are, up till now, the only dedicated headamps that I have/know, there will be comparisons with them.

Back to Roc... Do not know if transparency is the proper word, but last few days I started realizing the limitations of my sources (Marantz 63SE, MHDT Paradisea+, CA DacMagic... all reasonably modded). Thing is that, even though I knew that those are not the best sources, before Roc I was reasonably happy with them. Now... I just don't know :|

...and we are at 120h of burning-in. Will keep you posted.

V3

thanks for the updates
smily_headphones1.gif
and regardless of youre ability to articulate as long as we get the gist of it we'll all be grateful of your time

Sep 7, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

You can get genuine Schuko Oyaide plugs from vhaudio (a Head-fi sponsor). But just for the record, Audio-gd doesn't use genuine Oyaide. (and doesn't claim to on their website).

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #67 of 85
Yeah it's quasiOyaide. Same clear shells and appearance, and it appears to have solid copper pins which is the important part, but yea it's a lookalike. It seems that they use a tri-braid of 12 gauge copper wire with loose 1/2" techflex over it, whatever it is it sounds nice and it's a great value, I can barely assemble myself a power cable for $75.

Sep 8, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #68 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it's quasiOyaide. Same clear shells and appearance, and it appears to have solid copper pins which is the important part, but yea it's a lookalike.

Not really. It's very easy to tell apart real Oyaide from knockoffs. From the pins on the photo, you can see that the metallic surface is rough. With genuine Oyaide, it should be smooth due to their plating process.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #69 of 85
Every once in a while I take a "peek" on Roc's development. I "think" it is still improving, but I would say in first 50 hours most dramatic SQ changes happened. But even now (cca 150 h) it sounds, as Brits would say, bloody good.
wink.gif
If this is how all properly implemented class A gear sounds - I should kick myself for not trying that sooner.

Even though it "strips" connected sources and show them "naked" with their flaws and traits - all headphones that I have tried with Roc were at their best behavior and performed better than what I thought they actually can. HD600, W1000 and K701. Single Ended (SE) that is.

Balanced headphones are something new to me. New and highly addictive. So addictive that, after HD600 "test retermination" with HD650 stock cable plus 4 pin Neutrik XLRs and "balanced burning-in" for a while - AKGs and ATs just got to be recabled as well.
icon10.gif
...and to think that I wanted to get rid of those "old" HD600s...

...and I have no heat problems. Roc is just mildly warm to the touch. It could be the effect of holes on top and bottom of the amp. AFAIK Roc is the first A-GD component that has them.

...oddity: SE and XLR inputs sound exactly the same (CA DacMagic connected to Roc via both)! I can perceive no benefit (difference) of balanced XLR input over "classic" RCA. I am using A-GD cables on both.

Should also mention that four channel stepped attenuator - it is pure (23 steps of) quality. And exponential resistance scale is just right. K701 and HD600 are hovering around 12:00. W1000 around 10:00-10:30.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #71 of 85
In what ways is the CA dacmagic not balanced, besides the lack of dual mono power supplies? Enlighten me. I realize you probably need 4 chips for doing a true balanced setup, right? But the Ref2 has just 2 chips.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #72 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your CA DAC is not really balanced. It's like when I had my C-2C fed by my balanced Ref-1- no real diff. between RCA and XLR inputs since the C-2C is not a balanced amp but has XLR inputs.

No Tim. CA DacMagic IS really balanced, I know for sure since I modded it myself. It has 4 differential opamps, 2 buffer opamps and 6 output caps combos (electrolytics bypassed with MKPs) in output stage.

The "non-difference" is, in my opinion, due to A-GD's SE input cloning and XLR input reproofing through the same circuits.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #73 of 85
Quote:

Yeah it's quasiOyaide. Same clear shells and appearance, and it appears to have solid copper pins which is the important part, but yea it's a lookalike. It seems that they use a tri-braid of 12 gauge copper wire with loose 1/2" techflex over it, whatever it is it sounds nice and it's a great value, I can barely assemble myself a power cable for $75.

Finally I can stop wondering what connectors the cable uses... I thought they looked like Oyaide connectors but those are so expensive.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

No Tim. CA DacMagic IS really balanced, I know for sure since I modded it myself. It has 4 differential opamps, 2 buffer opamps and 6 output caps combos (electrolytics bypassed with MKPs) in output stage.

The "non-difference" is, in my opinion, due to A-GD's SE input cloning and XLR input reproofing through the same circuits.

Your answer sounds more informed than mine, so if anyone cares to chime in on that, I won't argue the point.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #75 of 85
Quote:

In what ways is the CA dacmagic not balanced, besides the lack of dual mono power supplies? Enlighten me. I realize you probably need 4 chips for doing a true balanced setup, right? But the Ref2 has just 2 chips.

The PCM1704UK (in the Ref 1) is a mono chip. The Phillips chip I imagine is stereo.

In the Phoenix, Kingwa uses some or other method to convert SE input to balanced. If that is also the case for the Roc, maybe SE input isn't necessarily bad. It would also depend on what's being plugged into it. Maybe more to the point, balanced makes the most difference when it comes to driving headphones and less so between components, unless you use long cables, from my understanding of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back