Audio-gd Roc Balanced HP Amp/Pre Amp
Jul 30, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #46 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa's invented a lot of pretty impressive things.

Now he needs to figure out a way to add USB and optical without degrading the signal at all. There has to be a way. At this point though, I'm looking pretty hard at Pop Pulse's convertor box at Cryoparts. I really just need a fancy PC sound card that has coax out.

Soundcards are noisy and they do not deliver clean signals to your DAC in my experience. And I have the ESI Juli@ which is considered to be one of the best.

That is why the Squeezebox or Transporter is an ideal solution (as long as its fed linear, regulated power). It takes the computer out of the computer.

Tosehee,

I prefer the impact and bass control with the balanced B22. I'm just not getting it with the Phoenix unless the volumes are at very loud levels. I am hoping by adding a little resistance to the HD800 that the Phoenix will deliver the same. I am having someone make me a 100 ohm XLR resistance adaptor.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #47 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The selector is just sending the signal through a few more millimeters of metal. Considering the obscenely long signal path inside the Ref 1 already, I fail to see the big deal.

I agree completely. As I said, there would/could be no audible difference. It's for sanity of my soul at this point..

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #48 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree completely. As I said, there would/could be no audible difference. It's for sanity of my soul at this point..

An outboard converter will probably do more damage to the signal than one built in to the unit. This is because A) it has a longer signal path, and B) probably uses a switching power supply.

Jul 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #49 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An outboard converter will probably do more damage to the signal than one built in to the unit. This is because A) it has a longer signal path, and B) probably uses a switching power supply.

Hrm. It's a temporary measure until I get a better transport to RE1, but now that I think about it, direct optical from Mac Pro to RE1 may not be a bad idea. If I get a better transport, then I can always connect to BNC or RCA. In that case, I am getting a hit from switch/selector. But, this would be negligible to no audible differences at all.

I guess I will contact Kingwa for adding optical input to my RE1.

Jul 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #50 of 85
If he says optical in RE1 is no good, I'll go with what he says.
I'm waiting to see what Kingwa comes up with after the success of RE1. Perhaps a higher end DAC with multiple inputs?

I'm in no hurry.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #51 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he says optical in RE1 is no good, I'll go with what he says.
I'm waiting to see what Kingwa comes up with after the success of RE1. Perhaps a higher end DAC with multiple inputs?

I'm in no hurry.
wink.gif

I have asked him for 3 input with selector.

1 optical input
1 rca
1 bnc

If optical input is not as good as other options, I can always opt for other transport options.

For now though, I can save some from converter and invest on something else..

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #52 of 85
Quote:

I have asked him for 3 input with selector.

1 optical input
1 rca
1 bnc

If optical input is not as good as other options, I can always opt for other transport options.

For now though, I can save some from converter and invest on something else..

3 inputs will diminish the sound quality. He needs to use a rotary selector for this and there is more circuitry for the signal to pass through. You should leave the BNC/RCA as one input and the optical as the other. This can be done with a simple selector switch. How many items are you plugging into your DAC anyway?

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #53 of 85
Usually just one, but who knows about the future. I am not getting several DACs just to service another source..

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #54 of 85
Quote:

Usually just one, but who knows about the future. I am not getting several DACs just to service another source..

If I were you, I'd look all over the internet for the highest quality selectors you can find, buy one, and send it to him.

I recommend something like this:

http://www.dact.com/html/input_selectors.html

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #55 of 85
The other thing to consider is that optical is inherently worse than other digital transfer methods. Best to avoid it, if you can.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #56 of 85
I don't think we should put aside optical. Here are some of the reasons.
Optical is very cheap: All you need is good quality plastic fiber and functionable connectors (no need for gold plated stuff).
Optical is more efficient for shielding.
The only bad thing with optical is jitter.
However, if Kingwa could put in his DAC a very good reclocker, optical could be the way to go instead of S/PDIF and it would be a lot expansive.

Feel free to correct me.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #57 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other thing to consider is that optical is inherently worse than other digital transfer methods. Best to avoid it, if you can.

Agreed 100%, furthermore as a temp solution for those that have to have optical get yourself a mux box from twisted pear and handle the conversion that way. This makes far more sense than a SQ robbing kludge on the RE1 itself.You get added flexibility without touching the RE1. When it comes time to use a serious high quality T with the RE1 the transition is easy and painless.

here is a link to that mux... S/PDIF 4:1 Receiver/MUX Module and this one The S/PDIF Receiver Module or this even simpler module.... TOSLINK Optical Input Module The last option would also be easy to setup with a BNC out. All of these require a PSU obviously but that is easy to remedy (with a wall wart if you can't build your own).

The beauty of the mux is the output jack (SPDIF COAX can be swapped with a Canare BNC jack quite easily). You get the optical input transformer coupled to the a BNC output...direct to the RE1 BNC input. If course if your no good at DIY this poses a problem but other finished mux boxes will do the same job...it's very easy to swap one COAX out to a chassis mount BNC jack in one of those....

Peete.

Sep 5, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #58 of 85
Just noticed the "Roc" is now available...anyone has placed their order? Can't wait for impressions!

Sep 6, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #59 of 85
Can't believe I'm the first one to say something about Roc...

Well, got it last Wednesday, it's been "cooking" ever since.

First listen was unimpressive - had it connected via XLR to CA DacMagic while GS Solo (modded 2008 Green) was connected through RCA... During those first hours Solo was "cleaner" and more dynamic - even when the same phones were connected in balanced mode to Roc and "just" SE to Solo...
confused_face_2.gif
a real What moment...

Next day, well... next day things changed. Substantially.

In few words (not to make a review of this) excellent dynamics, loads of power (you have to hear how K701 "behave" under Roc's command), no slightest distortion or noise at any listening level...
k701smile.gif

I'll stop here for now. Roc is still breaking-in. I am in the process of recabling/reterminating my best headphones.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #60 of 85
Good luck with that, you may be the first Roc owner out there that's on headfi so keep us up to date. Not surprising that it will take some break in and you do want to warm it up a few hours before listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back