Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
Apr 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #31 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any details on USB input? I can't wait until Kingwa masters proper USB implementation.

Do tell, what is "proper" USB implementation? I don't recall him using anything not standard or to spec.
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #34 of 482
Oh gawd. Just as I decide to save up for the DAC-3SE, this comes out. By the time I get a new DAC, it will be Christmas
frown.gif
Why must Kingwa torture me with all the DSP upgrades. I mean seriously, can't he just make it $930 for the DSP version and skimp the DF version?
frown.gif
It was difficult to choose the DAC-19 DSP over the DF, but I figured what the heck. Then the great reviews for the 3SE (I know one is neutral and one musical, but maybe musicality is what I am looking for?). Now this Ref 5
tongue.gif
At least I've got many months ahead of me to decide which to get
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #35 of 482
Oh the joys of hi-fi! LOL

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #38 of 482
I hope there is a review of the DAC-3SE (or DAC-19DSP) vs Reference 5 by the time I can afford one. I am beginning to think I will follow my statement that DACs should be as neutral as possible and very detailed and revealing. I guess it boils down to DAC-19 vs Reference 5. Then the budget comes in...
frown.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #39 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course Kingwa recommended it but I also have a lower priced CD player (Denon DN-C615 and do not want to get rid of it but thought the DSP would be appropriate. Other than that I have no reason except Kingwa recommended it. This is from his site:

Theoretically when using the DSP1, data will be running parallel, achieving near zero jitter state, no matter the level of CD transport attached, be it hypermarket grade or hi-end level, you will still be getting the best and similar sound quality! Practically, through some experiment, although we could perceive the sound quality difference between differently priced and level of CD transports (as an audiophile, you just can’t just follow pure theory, but you must also venture the practical side too), but final result shows that using entry level CD transport or hypermarket grade DVD player, the improvement of sound quality is huge compared to typical digital processor chip like PMD-100, DF1704 etc.

Thanks for clarifying what the DSP1 does. It sounds a lot like the Benchmark DAC1 with its claims of jitter immunity regardless of the source?

Does this mean the REF5 with the DSP1 option does NOT need asynchronous USB implementation?

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #40 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope there is a review of the DAC-3SE (or DAC-19DSP) vs Reference 5 by the time I can afford one. I am beginning to think I will follow my statement that DACs should be as neutral as possible and very detailed and revealing. I guess it boils down to DAC-19 vs Reference 5. Then the budget comes in...
frown.gif

you've got it finally
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #41 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for clarifying what the DSP1 does. It sounds a lot like the Benchmark DAC1 with its claims of jitter immunity regardless of the source?

Does this mean the REF5 with the DSP1 option does NOT need asynchronous USB implementation?

Unfortunately, even with the DSP1 the DAC is still not immune to jitter from your source. You will hear differences between transports.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #42 of 482
Hehe, yeah but now I am excited and ready to buy the DAC. My wallet isn't though. I'm not even 10% of the way to buying the Reference 5 =/

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #43 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Noinimod I went through the same dilemma and decided I would try the Ref 5 with the ROC and then if I become unsatisfied (doubt it) I can sell it with not too much loss and then go with the Reference 1. I kinda like the idea of the inputs and the fact it matches the ROC exactly. Think I will be super happy with it though but if not there are options. If I am I saved about 600.00 that will buy a pant load of CD's.

Believe me, you will be very happy with it. I was perfectly content with my DAC19 DF
wink.gif

It's just that i've thinking of getting the ref1 and calling it a day
biggrin.gif

And again, to the people who are asking how the ref 5 compares with the DAC19 DSP, i quote Kingwa:

"If you only want to use the RCA output and no plan going to balance systems in future, you are better consider the DAC-19 not the Reference 5 can save some money"

stang: Is your entire rig balanced? If it's not, just get the DAC19 DSP.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #44 of 482
Hmm so the Ref 5 is just like a DAC19 but balanced? Surely the price increase must implement some sort of high sound quality. I am not sure if I need balanced
biggrin.gif
Not with this current system, but maybe in the future if I ever go to solid state amps. Well, that won't be for a long time I don't think. DAC-19DSP it is I reckon.

Apr 11, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #45 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm so the Ref 5 is just like a DAC19 but balanced? Surely the price increase must implement some sort of high sound quality. I am not sure if I need balanced
biggrin.gif
Not with this current system, but maybe in the future if I ever go to solid state amps. Well, that won't be for a long time I don't think. DAC-19DSP it is I reckon.

That's exactly it - a balanced DAC19 DSP. If we had to put a price tag on its performance, Kingwa told me that if you were to use the RCA outputs of the Ref 5, it will sound at most the equivalent of USD800 (in audio-gd's terms so i think that counts for something
wink.gif
). But when used with fully balanced gear, the improvements will be significant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back