Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
Apr 10, 2010 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 482

transient orca

100+ Head-Fier
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

I guess I am the first to notice it.
k701smile.gif
It's way out of my price range, but I am sure this is going to be a great thread to read.
popcorn.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 482
Damn it'll be hard to resist this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 482
Damn!! That is a very well priced DAC!

This and the ROC amp would be an awesome pair of equipment together! O_O

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 482
I wonder if he'll do a deal if you purchase the Roc or Phoenix with it. No excuses for buying a Benchmark or the like now.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 482
he needs to release a reference 6, thats the same as the 5, but isnt balanced and so it has 2 dacs per channel. And would use the DSP and is neutral, he has dacs that fit that configuration, but they are all of the "musical" flavor that i dont really want.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 482
I plan to get this and the ROC, as its seems that my HD650 and active monitors will benefit from going totally balanced. Kingwa could not give me price quote a few days ago as he was not sure of the shipping cost. Hopefully there will some discount if buy I these 2 together...
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 482
If you bought the ROC recently he told me he will give a 5% discount on any DAC including this new Reference 5. That comes out to 1030.00 with shipping for the Ref 5 DSP model and 1599.00 for the Reference 1 model both shipped. Think I am going with the Ref 5 so it matches the ROC. Cabinet size of the ROC and REF 5 is almost identical.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 482
Hmmmm.... Very tempting. I'm moving my Phoenix into a dedicated bedroom rig and this looks like it would be a good mate. If Kingwa had released this two weeks earlier, but just last week I sent my Music Hall 25.2 DAC to Exemplar Audio for upgrading/Modification.

What's done is done. I'll have to keep wondering what an all balanced ACSS system would be like. I'll have to settle (for now) for all of the Single-Ended Tubed Goodness of the Exemplar Modified 25.2 DAC.

Am I the only one that finds Audio-gd makes too many DAC's. It's confusing and since customers have to buy sight unheard it makes the decision process difficult. There's 9 different DAC's plus the options offered for various models. That's at least Eleven different models to choose from between $330 and $1750. I believe choice is a good thing, but this much is just un-necessarily complicating things.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 482
Just ordered the DSP version. Hope it lives up to it's billing and I know it will. Kingwa makes good stuff for sure.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered the DSP version. Hope it lives up to it's billing and I know it will. Kingwa makes good stuff for sure.

You had to be amongst the first didn't you
biggrin.gif

I may have missed it but have you posted your comments on the Roc anywhere.
Planning to get one myself as soon as viable.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #14 of 482
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm.... Very tempting. I'm moving my Phoenix into a dedicated bedroom rig and this looks like it would be a good mate. If Kingwa had released this two weeks earlier, but just last week I sent my Music Hall 25.2 DAC to Exemplar Audio for upgrading/Modification.

What's done is done. I'll have to keep wondering what an all balanced ACSS system would be like. I'll have to settle (for now) for all of the Single-Ended Tubed Goodness of the Exemplar Modified 25.2 DAC.

Am I the only one that finds Audio-gd makes too many DAC's. It's confusing and since customers have to buy sight unheard it makes the decision process difficult. There's 9 different DAC's plus the options offered for various models. That's at least Eleven different models to choose from between $330 and $1750. I believe choice is a good thing, but this much is just un-necessarily complicating things.

Going to spring for this DAC and well and do a comparison for us?
wink.gif

He did post a guide, I just noticed, explaining how to choose a DAC. Basically you choose single-ended or balanced, then choose neutral or "musical". Other than that, I guess you're choosing whether you want his custom DSP or not.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #15 of 482
I see the rapid extension of the range of Audio-GD DACs can be bewildering. Personally I think the large range of DACs that Kingwa offers is brilliant. It means theres almost an Audio-GD DAC to fit every unique situation and taste. Thats what I consider a great service from an audio supplier.

Maybe if we get confused about which DAC to get it might be a good thing? It might mean we need to think a bit more to really clarify what we really want. When the REF8 came out I was tempted but after a bit I realised Id rather have a dead neutral source that doesnt colour everything irretrievably downstream.

This page helped me "How to choice a appropriate gear from our products:''

н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

All I need to work out now is what difference there is in the sound with the two variants of the DAC5 using either the DSP1 or the DF1704 ?

I wonder if anyone has compared other Audio_GD DACs with these two filters and can pass on some advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back