Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
May 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #152 of 482
I just sent Kingwa an email asking for a quote with shipping :wink:  Soon mine will begin to be built.

BTW I am ordering the DF version without DSP....  I'll keep you posted :D

Thanks to Eagle Eye for swaying my decision, and thanks to all for the impressions.  

May 8, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #153 of 482

Yes I hated my 3SE when I first bought it,   never believed in burn in so I just left it on for 2 weeks while never listenig to it.    Put it up for sale here even.  Then I decided to try it one more time and it sounded amazing.   They they didn't teach us about burn in the EE classes I took years ago,  but looking back at physics and physical chemistry I can at least see some sort of science behind it.   But definetaly if you buy a new big AduioGD Dac let it run a couple weeks before you listen to it.

Quote:
Keep in mind that his DAC's really do take about 100 hours to smooth out. My Ref-1 sounded a touch harsh and congested at first- I was pretty disappointed but a few days later that changed. And this was not me becoming used to the sound, I left it running for 3 days and came back to it.

May 8, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #154 of 482

Quote:
As someone who had the dac 19 DF, which is apparently a much more jitter prone filter than the DSP1, i can tell you that there isn't a mind-blowing difference with SPDIF (using the hiface)

this is good  to know,  more head fiers should be aware of this to save money

Quote:
@ tecnenvy, you can always ask Kingwa to install additional digital input(s).

imo that is the biggest PRO for audio gd,, the fact you can customize the usb for a coaxial, for me is a huge, huge selling point
but  as  noinimod says,  the difference is suttle, so maybe  usb looks more attractive.   i thiik i still would choose an extra coaxial thou,  not only for a hiface or extra cd, but i almost bought a tt with a coaxial out.
Quote:
NICE ..!  need moar input!!!!!! :p

lol, don't we all    i should make that my signature lol

May 8, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #155 of 482

Quote:
As someone who had the dac 19 DF, which is apparently a much more jitter prone filter than the DSP1, i can tell you that there isn't a mind-blowing difference with SPDIF (using the hiface)

But keep in mind that the Hiface doesn't really become a high end transport until the clocks are powered by something better than a damn comuter powersupply.    If anything this is telling us that the DSP1's jittery "rejection" ain't all that.

May 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #157 of 482

Quote:
h.rav, i see that you have the exact same setup i'm going for! How's the C39 as a pre?

I have only played with it for a few times, I just got back from a business trip. I like it better than W4S STP which is a highly regarded preamp.

Quote:
h.rav, out of curiosity how much did it all set u back in total cost to get the extra additions?

You would have to ask Kingwa for that :wink: The cost is very reasonable.

Quote:
Did you send Nucleotide wire in advance or Kingwa got it on him? Also whats the difference between IEC? Though they are all the same.

He has the wires. Ref5's stock IEC isn't gold plated.

Quote:
I can't wait for my Ref 5 + C39, one week is soo long. It'll be a blast!

Did you get the C-39SE or the C-39Mk3? Kingwa sells two C-39s, they are pretty much the same other than the chassis.

May 8, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #158 of 482
I played a few hours with the HD650 and they sound, well, they sound OK.
The general tonal balance is pretty good, I remember them more bassy, the sound signature is generally laid back compared to the K702s, and I can't hear the so-called Sennheiser veil in the higher frequencies.
But, the sound stage is a notch below the K702s.
What I mean is the positioning of instruments is not as clear and well defined as with the K702s, everything seems to sound compressed, with less air between instruments.
An example: listening again to my favourite string quartet by Haydn (String Quartets no. 60, op.76) and in particular the first movement (Allegro), the same melody (absolutely lovely btw) is played first by a cello, then by the second cello, then by the first violin, and finally by the second violin.
With the K702 (and the Ref.5!) I can clearly, easily, without putting any effort on it, understand where the cellos and the violins are, I can physically put them on a virtual stage, the first cello is close to the listener on the right, the second cello is on the right behind the first one, the first violin is on the left, close to the listener, the second violin right behind the first one.
That simply doesn't happen with the HD650s, the players are so close to each other, the instruments are not precise in the stage, and I can't feel the bow hitting the strings, they simply play the melody, but there's no contact with the strings.
And more, while the violins play the melody the cello are playing some chords together: with the HD650s I can't hear those chords. Well I can hear them, but they're "covered" by violins, so you can't pick up the notes... I know they're there as used to listen with the K702 :)
The sound of the piano is good, it's different from the K702, I wouldn't say worse or better, but different, very pleasant.
Also, to me the HD650s have less dynamics than the K702s: one of my favourite test is the Piano Concerto no.1 by Ravel, a masterpiece, in a recording by Deutsche Grammophon, with Abbado as conductor, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, and Marta Argerich.
The first movement can blow your drivers and ears away in some passages!
With the K702s you are (almost) in the auditorium with the orchestra, and actually I had to turn down the volume, while the HD650s seem to compress the dynamics. The result is pleasant, but less faithful to the live event.
I've found a cheap mogami cable so next week I can try them balanced out of the ROC, hopefully they will get better, or they'll go for sale :)
Last note...they're so comfortable, you can wear them for hours :)

May 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #160 of 482
Do not apologize massy! I will read this when I can. I have HD600 so it should be quite an interesting read. :wink:

May 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #161 of 482
Balancing the HD650s should rectify the difference with the Roc I reckon. 
k701smile.gif

May 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #162 of 482

Quote:
I have only played with it for a few times, I just got back from a business trip. I like it better than W4S STP which is a highly regarded preamp.

Did you get the C-39SE or the C-39Mk3? Kingwa sells two C-39s, they are pretty much the same other than the chassis.

Good to know :wink:

C39SE. I didn't think the extra USD100+ for the newer style chassis without any real improvement inside was worth the money, heh.

May 10, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #163 of 482
Quick update.
I've been using the Reference 5 connected to my laptop with Foobar and Asio through USB during the week end.
Man, that sounds good! I think it sounds better than my CD player :-O 
The biggest difference is the control over the bass frequencies, especially percussions. I'm not entirely sure but they seem to have gained more punch.
I'll listen to this setup during the week, but I'm wondering how good could sound with a proper USB to coax converter (Hiface?).
Time to put money away for a mac mini or something similar :)

May 11, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #164 of 482
Any comparisons between Ref. 5 and DAC9Mk3? This would be very VERY interesting. They're pretty much in the same price class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back