Audio GD Reference 5 coming soon
May 6, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #136 of 482
This is the reply I just got from Kingwa:

Dear Russell,
The CAST and XLR can connect at same time.
But if the CAST amp select turn to CAST input, the XLR will mute.
So the CAST is priority.
If you feed to ROC by CAST, and feed to other amp by XLR, while you want XLR work, you just turn the ROC not at CAST input.
Kingwa

May 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #137 of 482
Anyway,
spent some time with the XLR output yesterday (with the ACSS disconnected), and I can honestly say, that in my setup, with my balanced K702, the ACSS output is better. Not night and day difference though. It's easy to spot the differences with instruments like cello, piano and sax.
The higher notes on the piano in a recording like "Koln Concert" by K. Jarrett are bright, too bright once your ears get used to the smoothness of the ACSS.
After a few minutes I had to turn down the volume on the ROC due to the listening fatigue.
Then I listened to my favourite string quartets by Haydn: the magic of the cello (so far the best instrument played by the Ref.5) was gone: pizzicatos are nowhere as physical as with the ACSS, and the bow does not produce the same impact on the strings.
Finally, I listened again to "A Love Supreme" by J. Coltrane, and it sounded as I've always heard with my previous DACs (Little Dot DAC_I, DACMagic, and partially V-DAC). The day before, listening through the ACSS output to the same CD, the sax was less forward, probably smoother on the higher frequencies, and "well-blended" with the other instruments, less piercing.
I mean, it was part of the music, not the only instrument (this could be related with a boost in the upper mid of the AKGs), though you can easily locate the players on the virtual stage. Actually the sound was so different I had to double check the connection and the position of the cans over my ears!

May 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #140 of 482

Quote:
he needs to release a reference 6, thats the same as the 5, but isnt balanced and so it has 2 dacs per channel. And would use the DSP and is neutral, he has dacs that fit that configuration, but they are all of the "musical" flavor that i dont really want.

Personally I think AudioGD's "musical" distinction is a bit of a translation error.  The musical DAC's to me are less colored than the neutral ones,  but everyones gear/ears are different.  Just don't take the "musical" description to literally.  It just means that the I/V is done with a discrete 27db NFB and diamond buffer.   On paper this is as least colored as you can get compared to other companies DAC's.   The small local NFB may actual give less distortion.  The analog filtering is a bit different but that can be changed with simple caps swaps,  you can request more neutral filtering on the "musical" series.

May 7, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #141 of 482
I'm very interested in this Ref 5 DAC and curious about the ACSS connectors... Since I'll be using it with a Beta22, anyone knows if this can be implemented into a B22 or is it too specific to Audio GD amps ? I understand this is the output to use to get the most out of the DAC so....

On the Audio GD website, it's stated that "even though you only connect to RCA output, DAC will always operate in ACSS technology, and benefit from ACSS technology"
So how different is it to use ACSS over RCA ?

Thanks

May 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #142 of 482
Quote:
Personally I think AudioGD's "musical" distinction is a bit of a translation error.  The musical DAC's to me are less colored than the neutral ones,  but everyones gear/ears are different.  Just don't take the "musical" description to literally.  It just means that the I/V is done with a discrete 27db NFB and diamond buffer.   On paper this is as least colored as you can get compared to other companies DAC's.   The small local NFB may actual give less distortion.  The analog filtering is a bit different but that can be changed with simple caps swaps,  you can request more neutral filtering on the "musical" series.

I concur. I have only owned my DAC-3SE for a couple of days now (roughly 50 hours of burn in), early listening impressions have left me in agreement with Regal's comments.

My DAC-3SE does not sound colored. Mid range frequencies sound more authentic. Voices are portrayed more realistically with greater body. The mid range is very slightly forward or more pronounced, while maintaining a flat or natural sound signature overall.

The DAC-19DSP is extremely accurate and detailed. Flat frequency response. I bet that the DAC-19DSP with a tube preamplifier would have great synergy.

May 7, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #143 of 482
Keep in mind that his DAC's really do take about 100 hours to smooth out. My Ref-1 sounded a touch harsh and congested at first- I was pretty disappointed but a few days later that changed. And this was not me becoming used to the sound, I left it running for 3 days and came back to it.

May 7, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #147 of 482
Way to go Massi!  I bet  you will love the HD 650 balanced.  Eagerly await your impressions.

May 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #148 of 482
Ref 5 is sounding like a winner!  My finger is on the paypal button to kingwa.... I know there are like 10 other people out there at least that have gotten this thing.... where are the impressions!!!! :p  They all must be busy enjoying the music too much....

May 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #149 of 482

Quote:
I'm very interested in this Ref 5 DAC and curious about the ACSS connectors... Since I'll be using it with a Beta22, anyone knows if this can be implemented into a B22 or is it too specific to Audio GD amps ? I understand this is the output to use to get the most out of the DAC so....

On the Audio GD website, it's stated that "even though you only connect to RCA output, DAC will always operate in ACSS technology, and benefit from ACSS technology"
So how different is it to use ACSS over RCA ?

Thanks

The output stage (which amplifies the tiny signal from the DA chips) uses a current gain (ACSS) stage.  If you connect two Audio-gd components together using ACSS, the current gain stages are connected directly instead of being converted to a voltage signal between them, which gives the best SQ.  The idea with using current gain instead of voltage gain circuits is that there is less degradation of the signal (as a result of imperfections in the components).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back