Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 28, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #2,296 of 2,441
Dan Lavry made some posts on how jitter affects the analogue signal ultimately.  I agree, we really need more specific info, but considering equipment that can measure differences in jitter of 1 picosecond are very expensive to either buy or rent, it may be a while coming.

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #2,297 of 2,441
I just bought a used RE1 of the for sale section.  Was wondering if anyone has sent their DSP-1 card into Kingwa to have it updated to Rev5?  I wonder if it is worth the wait and if it is has a better filter algorithm ?

Oct 7, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #2,298 of 2,441

Was wondering if anyone has sent their DSP-1 card into Kingwa to have it updated to Rev5?  I wonder if it is worth the wait and if it is has a better filter algorithm ?

I ordered V4. Since it was supposed to ship with other ordered stuff that I am still waiting, now I'll get V5.
biggrin.gif

Allegedly it is significant improvement: "Major improvements like the V4 and V3, respectively, in particular the sound field and positioning, sound sophistication." (translation of KingWa's quote from A-GD forum)

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #2,301 of 2,441

Quote:

I ordered V4. Since it was supposed to ship with other ordered stuff that I am still waiting, now I'll get V5.
biggrin.gif

Allegedly it is significant improvement: "Major improvements like the V4 and V3, respectively, in particular the sound field and positioning, sound sophistication." (translation of KingWa's quote from A-GD forum)

Please let us know your observations with the V5 chip versus what you have now.

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #2,302 of 2,441
Yes, I was asking what software will be loaded if I get a Ref-9 and was told V5 will be it.

I forgot to ask if Audio-gd will take our DSP-1 chip taken out from our Ref-1 and flush it with new software.  And how much will that be?  Do you guys just buy a new DSP or update existing one?

@FauDrei
Is the improvement you quote for the comparison between V5 and V4/3 or between V5/4/3 and older version?

Thanks for your info!

Quote:
I just bought a used RE1 of the for sale section.  Was wondering if anyone has sent their DSP-1 card into Kingwa to have it updated to Rev5?  I wonder if it is worth the wait and if it is has a better filter algorithm ?

biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #2,303 of 2,441
Please let us know your observations with the V5 chip versus what you have now.

Of course I'll report.

Hasn't arrived yet.  I'll post my impressions here. I sold my DAC19 as the 3SE was all around better,  but the DAC19 had a certain Prat I guess you would call it that made me decide to try a RE1.

Please do post them. I'm quite interested how do you compare them.

I forgot to ask if Audio-gd will take our DSP-1 chip taken out from our Ref-1 and flush it with new software.  And how much will that be?  Do you guys just buy a new DSP or update existing one?

Basically, you have two options:
  1. either you take out your current DSP-1, pack it to China and wait for return package with upgraded DSP-1,
  2. or you pay $150 and buy upgraded DSP-1 with the option to send back your old DSP-1 and get back your $150.
In every option you pay both way shipping and you have to prearrange your DSP-1 upgrade with A-GD.

I think this is more than fair upgrade offer.

@FauDrei Is the improvement you quote for the comparison between V5 and V4/3 or between V5/4/3 and older version?

As I understand it - all of them (V3, V4 and V5) were, in their respective release times, substantial improvements of previous latest versions: V3 was major improvement of whatever was it's previous version, V4 was major improvement of V3 and, you get it, V5 is major improvement of V4.

Rather nice... KingWa seldom uses word "major"... it is almost always "slight improve"... and I suppose I have DSP-1 V3 now.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #2,305 of 2,441
@ FauDrei:

Much appreciated your information.  Mine DSP was updated on Feb. of this year.  I wonder what version did I get.

The swapping route (your 2nd point) is really nice.  I might get it done when I order my next DAC with them (either NFB-1 or Ref-9).   Now where are those NFB-1 reviews?
biggrin.gif

BTW, could you post the link to those Audio-gd's forum?  I wish they have those update info on their webpage.

Quote:
Basically, you have two options:
  1. either you take out your current DSP-1, pack it to China and wait for return package with upgraded DSP-1,
  2. or you pay $150 and buy upgraded DSP-1 with the option to send back your old DSP-1 and get back your $150.
In every option you pay both way shipping and you have to prearrange your DSP-1 upgrade with A-GD.

I think this is more than fair upgrade offer.

As I understand it - all of them (V3, V4 and V5) were, in their respective release times, substantial improvements of previous latest versions: V3 was major improvement of whatever was it's previous version, V4 was major improvement of V3 and, you get it, V5 is major improvement of V4.

Rather nice... KingWa seldom uses word "major"... it is almost always "slight improve"... and I suppose I have DSP-1 V3 now.
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #2,306 of 2,441
Dukja, if your got your DSP-1 this February, it has to be V3. V4 was released mid June, V5 came end of September.

It is easy to access A-GD forum: go to A-GD's main english page and right end of top menu, beside "consigment" there is "forum". You do know how to use google translate, don't you?
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #2,307 of 2,441
Funny thing is:

I can read Chinese better than English. 
wink.gif
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for your precious info!! (as always)

Quote:
It is easy to access A-GD forum: go to A-GD's main english page and right end of top menu, beside "consigment" there is "forum". You do know how to use google translate, don't you?
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #2,308 of 2,441
I've ordered the upgrade, as I have what must be a V1.  If it makes a significant difference, I'll be most pleased, as other than with Omega IIs, there's not much between my Ref 1 and Cambridge 840c.  The Ref 7 I had here briefly was noticeably better too.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2,310 of 2,441
Ha, he still must have many old "T" enclosures around...

Did you know that RE-7 modules work in RE-1? Allegedly you just have to reposition (drill) few board spacers... "Stealth RE-7"
wink.gif

Regal, would there be any benefit in swapping A-GD rectifier diodes with HEXFREDS? I think KingWa already uses some kind of MUR460 ultrafast diodes bypassed with films and I have no experience with "ultrafast slow recovery" HEXFREDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back