Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #2,326 of 2,441
On another subject,  sending the DSP-1 back to Kingwa to reprogram it to V5.   Should I use international priority flat rate or USPS express mail?  Obviously don't want a lot of downtime but the USPS website gives no indication of the difference in delivery times.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #2,331 of 2,441
Anyway,  initial impressions are good of the DAC.  Has the Prat that was missing in my 3SE,  maybe due to the zero NFB output stage.   Anyway my thoughts of building an AD1862 DAC are now on hold so I can focus on finally finishing my trafomatish amp.  I'm holding myself from becoming too attached to ithe RE1 since I have to pull the DSP-1 and send it in.   I'm giving myself till Monday,  need one of you to hold me to it
redface.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #2,332 of 2,441
Oh, c'mon Regal... throw KingWa an e-mail. Order DSP-1 and ask him whether you can return your "second hand" one... see what happens.

In any case do post more impressions if/before sending your DSP-1.

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #2,333 of 2,441

Quote:
Oh, c'mon Regal... throw KingWa an e-mail. Order DSP-1 and ask him whether you can return your "second hand" one... see what happens.

In any case do post more impressions if/before sending your DSP-1.

I'm an engineer,  great technical writing skills but when it comes to literary musical impression,  I defer to Slim A,  I may just send it to him for a week since he is so smitten with the 19DSP
beyersmile.png

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #2,334 of 2,441
so far no success. Audio-gd dont allow that swapping of DSP1. I had tried that before and it is not audio-gd policy to swap DSP1 later with cash.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #2,335 of 2,441

Quote:
so far no success. Audio-gd dont allow that swapping of DSP1. I had tried that before and it is not audio-gd policy to swap DSP1 later with cash.

Didn't think so.  Because then someone would have to get the used DSP-1 module which isn't fair to someone who is buying a new piece of gear.

Anyway, I hope my DSP-1 v5 module shows up any day now.  I will then send back the old one to have it upgraded so I have a backup.

Oct 14, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #2,336 of 2,441
Looks like the RE1 MAX mod isn't quite finished...now to get myself a reV5 DSP-1 board and then modify it to the state of my current DSP-1 module (which is likely V1 vintage).
I look forward to your impression Regal in whatever form you feel comfortable describing
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #2,337 of 2,441
Look forward to your impressions too, Peete.

Audio-gd advised me tonight that they have been very busy with DSP-1 orders, and mine will be going out in 2 days.  I mistakenly thought it had already gone out.  I am greatly looking forward to its arrival, and hope I don't damage it or my existing one (which will also be sent back for an upgrade) during install.  Someone posted the installation instructions in one of these threads and it seems extremely simple, so I'm not too worried.

If that person can conveniently place those instructions again here, it would be appreciated.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #2,339 of 2,441
With the review posted on the v5,  I'm having second thoughts on upgrading.  One of the things I like best about this RE1 is the natural organic sound,  from that review I read it as rev5 is more HIFI.

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #2,340 of 2,441

Quote:
With the review posted on the v5,  I'm having second thoughts on upgrading.  One of the things I like best about this RE1 is the natural organic sound,  from that review I read it as rev5 is more HIFI.

Agreed, it's giving me some considerable pause for thought since the MAX mods did address the few shortcomings that the RE1 (and the Phoenix) had. A further tipping of the sound signature attributes towards "Hi Fi" (  & in conjunction with the positive changes brought on by the MAX mods which mirror the V5 descriptions in some respects) might too much of a good thing. Hmmm...only one way to find out I suppose.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back