Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 4, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #2,251 of 2,441
Oh shoot you're right. It's only on someone's ref 1 pic with optical mod that there's only one wire for the digital signal between the circuit board and spdif connector. My bad :p let me edit my dumb mistake out. I will do what you suggested and disconnect coax though, seems like a good idea, thanks!

Sep 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2,253 of 2,441
Personally, I would not desolder those.

Yes, it's possible you could pickup some noise, but I don't believe you could prove it by ear.  The noise would have to be digital noise, even harder to detect, ie Jitter.

IMO, all you would be accomplishing here is to damage your gear...

Because I would analyze this as damage.

If you went this route, the obvious next step would be Illuminati COAX.

Just my .02 for tweakers...

n.b.  I measured my Input impedance on my BNC and it is 75 ohms, all connections in place.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2,254 of 2,441

Quote:

n.b.  I measured my Input impedance on my BNC and it is 75 ohms, all connections in place.

Did you measure it with a scope?  If you used a DMM it won't give you an ac impedance value which is what you want.

Fraudreim,  yes that are the two wire I removed to give a correct 75 ohm load to the transport.  I don't see how this would be considered damaging the equipment as they can be resoldered in about 20 seconds, lol.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #2,255 of 2,441

Quote:
Did you measure it with a scope?  If you used a DMM it won't give you an ac impedance value which is what you want.

Fraudreim,  yes that are the two wire I removed to give a correct 75 ohm load to the transport.  I don't see how this would be considered damaging the equipment as they can be resoldered in about 20 seconds, lol.

No scope, just a DMM.

You are correct of course, if you can solder, it's not a huge issue.

However, this still harkens back to, what problems do those two short wires and an RCA Jack cause to a digital Bitstream?  And you think this is audible?

If this were an analog input, I would go this route, just don't see it at all with digital.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #2,256 of 2,441

Quote:
No scope, just a DMM.

You are correct of course, if you can solder, it's not a huge issue.

However, this still harkens back to, what problems do those two short wires and an RCA Jack cause to a digital Bitstream?  And you think this is audible?

If this were an analog input, I would go this route, just don't see it at all with digital.

It can potentially cause reflections,   you have to study up on digital transmision.  Will doing this mod cut down on reflection?  unequivocavily yes,  is it audible?  Probably a lot more audible that an expensive digital cable :)

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #2,258 of 2,441
Since I was going to put in a switch to turn off the PLL or dither respectively, I de-soldered the wires, as I don't use the RCA input.  I should, since both are simple and cheap, do the whole Illuminati coax thing and PP's mods to the digital board.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2,259 of 2,441

Quote:
Since I was going to put in a switch to turn off the PLL or dither respectively, I de-soldered the wires, as I don't use the RCA input.  I should, since both are simple and cheap, do the whole Illuminati coax thing and PP's mods to the digital board.

I would advise against that.  Remember the problems I had when Kingwa installed a switch for me to soft-reset the DSP-1?  He has since said that adding switches to perform a DIP function can cause problems.

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #2,260 of 2,441
Yeah, but the wires in yours went under the entire digital board, past the hot FETs and the transformer.  The switch I've put in is on the back and it's a 5-minute job to reverse the installation if it causes problems.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #2,261 of 2,441
I was thinking how to do it neat and clean. Since u hav removed the RCA plug, u could use it as a switch. to avoid drilling holes, can you use multiple selector switch with just 1 hole ?

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM Post #2,262 of 2,441
A switch wouldn't be 75 Ohms either, very likely.  I have the Reference 3 as a selector box anyway.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #2,263 of 2,441

Quote:
Yeah, but the wires in yours went under the entire digital board, past the hot FETs and the transformer.  The switch I've put in is on the back and it's a 5-minute job to reverse the installation if it causes problems.

Did they?  I can't remember but I thought the wire was above everything.  Les could confirm this though as the DAC was sent to him to check it out.

Sep 15, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #2,264 of 2,441
recently I have a listen of the ref 1 with the PLL and Dither switch to ON.

I have felt that the details and soundstage expand and the sound is more sparkle than before. I wonder what are users feedback with regard to the pin 1 and pin 6 ON. From the dac 19 review thread, it seems the setting helps a lot to improve the sound. what is your thot.

Faudrei, Curra,

have u tried removing the RCA coaxial cable from the PCB? 

With regards to the external switch (for changing PLL and Dither), it seem a better impletation is using an external switch right at the Coaxial RCA socket with a blocking resistor to prevent ground bounce ?

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #2,265 of 2,441
Hi ccschua,

Yes, I've been playing with DSP-1 settings for quite some time and used to report in DAC-19 thread because there was very little action in this RE-1 thread.

So basically, I can just repeat my findings from the other thread:
  1. activated dithering (pin6=off; default) pleasantly "rounds the edges" and can seem less detailed
  2. deactivated dithering (pin6=on) let "raw details" through and can seem to have "more sparkle"
  3. activated PLL (pin1=off; default) pictures "3D stage" in front of you; instruments are positioned not just left and right, but they seem to have height and depth dimension on the stage; depending on their "3D position" and "distance from the listener" instruments are quieter and seem less detailed
  4. deactivated PLL (pin1=on) is hyperdetailed and "in your face"; the stage is left, right and "inside your head" (or immediately in front of you); all instruments and details are louder; this setting is very dependent on transport quality

The "3D stage" price you have to pay to get "hyperdetails on a L/R plane" with deactivated PLL setting is not an option for me. If you are into hyperdetails, there is a compromise though: set the filter attenuation to -50dB (pin2=on; pin3=on). The details are there, you regain some staging, you loose some dynamics, energy and focus.

Personally, most of the time it is dithering=off (pin6=on) and PLL=on (pin1=off) for me. While it is fun altering the sound with those DSP-1 settings, ultimately I've found I'm always going back to default settings (with mood depending exception of activating/deactivating dithering) which is excellent.

As for removing RCA coax wires (as per Regal's advice), I'm waiting for an order with digital hook-up coax, some Caddock resistors and Mundorf caps to tackle DSP-1 and whole digital input board of my RE-1 more substantially. Also, sorry but I am not into complicating things inside RE-1 and will not compromise DSP-1 performance/stability with convenience of having external setting switches... kind of like RE-1's spartan simplicity.

But... just to put a bug in your ear
very_evil_smiley.gif
... there are some rumors that DSP-1's software is being updated, and that there are adjectives describing this update as: more balanced, deeper, wider, clearer...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Have fun ccschua
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back