Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 14, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #2,238 of 2,441

Quote:
WOW!!  Nice work would be quite the understatement!

Thanks B
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Peete, looks good.  I'd really like to get a stock Ref1 in your hands so you could compare the two directly and see if the differences are as large as you think, due to the fact you haven't heard the unit stock in a long time.

The difference is rather large.....there is no doubt about that. Too bad we don't live closer together so we could compare the MAX RE1/CD7 to the transporter RE7. I am still well acquainted with the stock sound of the RE1 after living with it for over a year before getting down to brass tacks with the changes (and evaluated each change for a reasonable amount of time before proceeding further down the rabbit hole ).
bigsmile_face.gif

Maybe I can arrange a mini meet with B in NY sometime in the future and he can play devil's advocate ?

Peete.

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #2,239 of 2,441

Quote:
Thanks B
beerchug.gif

The difference is rather large.....there is no doubt about that. Too bad we don't live closer together so we could compare the MAX RE1/CD7 to the transporter RE7. I am still well acquainted with the stock sound of the RE1 after living with it for over a year before getting down to brass tacks with the changes (and evaluated each change for a reasonable amount of time before proceeding further down the rabbit hole ).
bigsmile_face.gif

Maybe I can arrange a mini meet with B in NY sometime in the future and he can play devil's advocate ?

Peete.

I'm up for it, let's set that up ASAP..........

Aug 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #2,241 of 2,441

Quote:
I'm up for it, let's set that up ASAP..........

Cool....I'll see what I can arrange. I'll PM you B and see when might be a good weekend to attempt this.

Quote:
^ oh snap, thats awesome because you both have the CD7 -> Ref1 -> phoenix, except that peetes are obviously max modded, cant wait for this 
biggrin.gif

I know...the gear comparison would be perfect ...We could even use the same cables for the test (the Furutech BNC and my custom ACSS/DC Lines to compare just the MAX mods vs stock, yes PG I still need to send them to you for a turn). I need to get that CD7 MAX mod done ASAP and burned in. I notice SuopR that you are at an AFB in Ohio....is that Wright Patterson ? What wing is stationed there and is the base still used for test flights or does Calif get all the black ops/secret proto stuff now ?

Peete.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #2,242 of 2,441

Quote:
Cool....I'll see what I can arrange. I'll PM you B and see when might be a good weekend to attempt this.

I know...the gear comparison would be perfect ...We could even use the same cables for the test (the Furutech BNC and my custom ACSS/DC Lines to compare just the MAX mods vs stock, yes PG I still need to send them to you for a turn). I need to get that CD7 MAX mod done ASAP and burned in. I notice SuopR that you are at an AFB in Ohio....is that Wright Patterson ? What wing is stationed there and is the base still used for test flights or does Calif get all the black ops/secret proto stuff now ?

Peete.

WE've got no active duty flying mission here, we've just got the 88th air base wing, and the 445th reserve wing, which has a bunch of C-5's. the 88th just does support for all the tenant units on base. We've got AFIT, (air force institute of technology), AFRL (Air force research labs), NASIC(National Air and Space Intelligence Center), and AFMC HQ(Air Force Material Command). So we dont get flights, but im sure theres secret junk goin on somewhere haha 

id love to be able to come listen too. i really wanted to hear the phoenix at canjam but no one had one :frowning2:

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #2,244 of 2,441

Quote:
WE've got no active duty flying mission here, we've just got the 88th air base wing, and the 445th reserve wing, which has a bunch of C-5's. the 88th just does support for all the tenant units on base. We've got AFIT, (air force institute of technology), AFRL (Air force research labs), NASIC(National Air and Space Intelligence Center), and AFMC HQ(Air Force Material Command). So we dont get flights, but im sure theres secret junk goin on somewhere haha 

id love to be able to come listen too. i really wanted to hear the phoenix at canjam but no one had one :frowning2:

My Dad did his Grad Log Degree there in the early 70's.

Quote:
Anyone noticed the REF1 disappeared from Audio-GD website ?! Many suspected the REF7 to replace it.... bang on.
I think I got one of the very last :)

That would make sense.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #2,245 of 2,441

Quote:
Anyone noticed the REF1 disappeared from Audio-GD website ?! Many suspected the REF7 to replace it.... bang on.
I think I got one of the very last :)

The RE7S replaced it.....makes sense I suppose.

Thanks for the info on WPAFB Soupr. I have been reading about the Horten Brother's H0 229 the past 2 days...

Peete.

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #2,246 of 2,441

Quote:
The RE7S replaced it.....makes sense I suppose.

Thanks for the info on WPAFB Soupr. I have been reading about the Horten Brother's H0 229 the past 2 days...

Peete.

i was thinking the same thing, i think the RE7S was only what 50 extra dollars then the re1? makes perfect sense to just nix it completely

We also have 3 golf courses, and i believe its the 3rd largest hospital in the DoD 
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #2,247 of 2,441

Quote:
i was thinking the same thing, i think the RE7S was only what 50 extra dollars then the re1? makes perfect sense to just nix it completely

We also have 3 golf courses, and i believe its the 3rd largest hospital in the DoD 
biggrin.gif

I was in the Boy Scouts there.  Learned useful stuff like Cussing,  Smoking and Playing with knives and matches.

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #2,248 of 2,441

Quote:
I was in the Boy Scouts there.  Learned useful stuff like Cussing,  Smoking and Playing with knives and matches.

LOL........useful stuff Les
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #2,249 of 2,441
Tonight I cut out the optical digital switch I asked for in my dac9mk3 (discontinued cheaper version of ref 1). Listening for ~20 minutes, I think I hear a difference enough to think Kingwa was right in refusing to add the switch. It seems like a very slightly glassy layer has been taken off when I removed the switch.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #2,250 of 2,441

I'm not sure that I am following you.  Kingwa has the BNC and Coax in parallel,  you want to disconnect the coax completely in order to maintain a 75 ohm load on the transport (when using BNC).
Quote:
Tonight I cut out the optical digital switch I asked for in my dac9mk3 (discontinued cheaper version of ref 1). I also redirected the digital signal wire to BNC directly. It used to have BNC signal connected to Coaxial signal, then coaxial signal to the digital circuit board. A quick and easy mod for those using BNC to have one less solder point is to take the signal wire connected to coaxial and the circuit board and redirecting it so it is between bnc and circuit board, but make sure there is still a wire between bnc and coax signal. Listening for ~20 minutes, I think I hear a difference enough to think Kingwa was right in refusing to add the switch. It seems like a very slightly glassy layer has been taken off when I removed the switch, and also removed one solder point from bnc, but I'm sure the benefit I hear was simply from removing the switch :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back