Audio-gd NFB-5/5.2 users: share your experiences
Oct 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #78 of 86
  Hi guys! Is the Audio GD 5.2 worth the upgrade from 5.0? Heard they sound similar but 5.2 offers upgraded USB.

Someone compared 5/5.2 to magni/modi, ODA/o2 oder E17/E09K? :)

I think they don't only sound similar from spdif but they are exactly the same units. From usb input the 5.2 should be significantly better (based on experience from similar Audio gds with the 2 different usb Tenor chips).

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #79 of 86
Hi guys! Is the Audio GD 5.2 worth the upgrade from 5.0? Heard they sound similar but 5.2 offers upgraded USB.

Miles ahead of the Magni / Modi. Also better than Fiio combo, but not by as big a margin. Can't comment on JDS combo.

I personally think NFB-5.2 is outstanding for its price, but I haven't heard NFB-5

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #80 of 86

Originally Posted by HumanSaurusRex

They are the same unit with the only difference in the USB interface. The 5.0 still handles 24/192, supports asynchronous mode etc. The only difference you may notice is the lack of ASIO driver - at least I haven't found one. You have to decide whether it is worth the money. Personally I'd rather go for something like NFB-10ES3 as the Sabre ED9018 DAC and balanced output would be a really significant upgrade. 

I've heard the modi/magni combo and while quite capable, the NFB-5 is a much better unit. The sound is more dynamic and detailed, imaging more precise. Tonally they are quite similar, but the NFB-5 sounds more effortless. It is more flexible too - more inputs, preamp output, selectable oversampling ratios and filters.

I use FiiO E17 at work and when travelling and am amazed how good this thing is, considering it's price and size. I'd say it's on par with the modi/magni. It's not the smoothest sounding and most dynamic, but some headphones actually sound better on the E17 than on the NFB-5. The built-in equalizer certainly helps too.

The O2/ODAC combo is very popular, but somehow I managed to avoid getting acquainted with it. No idea how it would compare to the NFB-5.
I personally think NFB-5.2 is outstanding for its price, but I haven't heard NFB-5

Yes you have - even if only briefly... :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #81 of 86
  They are the same unit with the only difference in the USB interface. The 5.0 still handles 24/192, supports asynchronous mode etc. The only difference you may notice is the lack of ASIO driver - at least I haven't found one.

I thought 5.0 handles 192 khz only from spdif. Which is the the usb chip of 5.0 which supports asynchronous mode ?

Oct 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #83 of 86
  I thought 5.0 handles 192 khz only from spdif. Which is the the usb chip of 5.0 which supports asynchronous mode ?

You may be right on the S/PDIF - I'm writing off memory and possible that I got this wrong. Regarding async - not sure which chip is onboard, but it certainly works in async mode. May I add that more reliably than some others that I have experience with.

Edit: Just checked - USB goes only up to 24/96. Thanks for the correction!

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #85 of 86
Thank you guys for your opinions! Loquah ... thanks for your offer but I'm afraid the shipping costs from Australia to Europe are immense! :frowning2:
Think I'm giving the NFB 5.0 a shot! There are 2 offers for €200 shipped!

Oct 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #86 of 86
Thank you guys for your opinions! Loquah ... thanks for your offer but I'm afraid the shipping costs from Australia to Europe are immense! :frowning2:
Think I'm giving the NFB 5.0 a shot! There are 2 offers for €200 shipped!

Good point re shipping and that's completely fine.

Enjoy your new toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back