Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #841 of 3,093
One thing I've come to realize over the dozens of hours listening through the 11.32 is that the DAC implementation + amp really renders treble beautifully.

There is so much micro-texture to the treble that gives any string or drum instrument an extra sense of realism, as though I can hear the fingers or the hands contacting and working the instruments, as well as the material characteristics of the instruments themselves. I never knew this level of treble resolution could be pumped out of the HE500s (always thought them to be more mids/bass-centric, and very smooth treble with lack-lustre detail).

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #842 of 3,093
Quote:
One thing I've come to realize over the dozens of hours listening through the 11.32 is that the DAC implementation + amp really renders treble beautifully.

There is so much micro-texture to the treble that gives any string or drum instrument an extra sense of realism, as though I can hear the fingers or the hands contacting and working the instruments, as well as the material characteristics of the instruments themselves. I never knew this level of treble resolution could be pumped out of the HE500s (always thought them to be more mids/bass-centric, and very smooth treble with lack-lustre detail).

Will you be doing a bigger review with the 400/500's...? The 400's are OK in the treble region with the known upper region spikes if these are revealing more detail ?

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #843 of 3,093
Quote:
Will you be doing a bigger review with the 400/500's...? The 400's are OK in the treble region with the known upper region spikes if these are revealing more detail ?

Nah, I don't like writing full reviews. Too much effort and worry about semantics.

As for the HE400 treble vs more revealing treble by the new setup, they don't conflict IMO. The increased treble detail by the 11.32 is in the articulation and microdetails, not in a bump in treble FR or changes in the treble behaviour. It's literally just a more resolving treble, nothing added or taken away.

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #846 of 3,093
Quote:

Right! Epic treble. I was so surprised when I heard it out of the 11.32. I think the he-500s are a good match with the 11.32. Haven't tried them with the popular amps - v200, lafigaro 339 or the speaker amps for that matter. Was thinking of getting the 339. Match the 11.32 with tubes. Have you tried either of these amps Jerg? Curious as to how the humble 11.32 stacks up against them big boys. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #847 of 3,093
Quote:

Right! Epic treble. I was so surprised when I heard it out of the 11.32. I think the he-500s are a good match with the 11.32. Haven't tried them with the popular amps - v200, lafigaro 339 or the speaker amps for that matter. Was thinking of getting the 339. Match the 11.32 with tubes. Have you tried either of these amps Jerg? Curious as to how the humble 11.32 stacks up against them big boys. 

Nah I have only heard HE500 on 11.32, HA160, and BHA-1 thus far, not on any of the amps you listed.

To my ears the 11.32 are capable enough. Really anything "better" is just gonna be improving very minor things, like a bit more smoothness, slightly larger head-stage, maybe slightly tighter bass (although its bass is already tight enough out of the 11.32), all at outrageous extra costs.

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #848 of 3,093
Quote:
Nah I have only heard HE500 on 11.32, HA160, and BHA-1 thus far, not on any of the amps you listed.

To my ears the 11.32 are capable enough. Really anything "better" is just gonna be improving very minor things, like a bit more smoothness, slightly larger head-stage, maybe slightly tighter bass (although its bass is already tight enough out of the 11.32), all at outrageous extra costs.

Oh okay. Yeah I would think so too. Truly an astounding piece of kit for USD299. Ridiculous power output too. That was what persuaded me in the end considering how much power the he-500s need to really sound good. Of course the great dac was an added bonus. I didn't encounter anything with this much power at the price range while I was shopping around for a nice dac+amp combo. Extremely happy with the purchase. 

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #849 of 3,093
Quote:

Oh okay. Yeah I would think so too. Truly an astounding piece of kit for USD299. Ridiculous power output too. That was what persuaded me in the end considering how much power the he-500s need to really sound good. Of course the great dac was an added bonus. I didn't encounter anything with this much power at the price range while I was shopping around for a nice dac+amp combo. Extremely happy with the purchase. 

yup... i chose it for the power for the he500 and not the dac itself which is a the actual main feature and really good...

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #850 of 3,093
Does the 11.32 have base ventilation like a Mac Mini ?
As I've not got my hands on one yet, I just wonder how they ventilate given the stock photos show no vents on top/back or on the sides and some were saying they run very hot.
My place can get very hot daytime as it is, so don't want it to be a toaster oven next to my other electronics !

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #851 of 3,093
Quote:
Does the 11.32 have base ventilation like a Mac Mini ?
As I've not got my hands on one yet, I just wonder how they ventilate given the stock photos show no vents on top/back or on the sides and some were saying they run very hot.
My place can get very hot daytime as it is, so don't want it to be a toaster oven next to my other electronics !

I think it only dissipates heat through the aluminium body.
That's why it gets quite warm.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #853 of 3,093
Quote:
Interesting stuff, I'm itching to try this out but will wait for an official word on it first.

Hi,
I tried this mod on the audio gd 15.32. At first I liked it, I could hear more detail especially in the mid and top end, however over time I noticed the mids were a little too forward and bright, for example Eva Cassidy voice seems to be more forward and brighter and it lost some of that warmth and smoothness it had originally. I think I prefer the dac before the mod. I only have burnt the unit in for about 15 hours so it may need more time too.

Cheers

Steve.

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #854 of 3,093
Quote:
Hi,
I tried this mod on the audio gd 15.32. At first I liked it, I could hear more detail especially in the mid and top end, however over time I noticed the mids were a little too forward and bright, for example Eva Cassidy voice seems to be more forward and brighter and it lost some of that warmth and smoothness it had originally. I think I prefer the dac before the mod. I only have burnt the unit in for about 15 hours so it may need more time too.

Cheers

Steve.

The owner of Audio~gd has explained plugged or unplugged it should not make a difference.

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #855 of 3,093
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers

Steve.

See

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624517/audio-gd-nfb-11-32-delivery-impression-thread/825#post_9649689

Users who are viewing this thread

Back