Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!!
Jul 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #826 of 3,093
Quote:
Got too itchy and ended up doing the optical unplug modification as well. Call me easily swayed by confirmation bias, but there does seem to be a boost to transparency. Also sine waves sound cleaner now, that I know for sure.

The question is, does USB now sound better than Optical did? Because IMO Optical does sound better than USB.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #827 of 3,093
Quote:
Hmm.. just tried the unplug mod on my 15.1 and it does seem to sound cleaner. Pretty hard to get the plug out from the corner though but no damage done.

Ditto, the female socket has 3 little plastic tabs that keep the plug in place, AND there seems to be a small amount of yellow glue holding the plug in. Took me some prying with a mini-flathead screwdriver, and tons of careful wiggling, to pull the plug out.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #828 of 3,093
I already sent an email to Kingwa describing this modification and this thoughts on it.

As for the sonic changes, yep I confirm that indeed a minor issue I've had before this mod is now eliminated with the unplugging of the optical port. Prior, I would occasionally check the sine wave generator and there would be an oscillating buzz "interference" in sine wave tones regardless of frequency showing some malfunction of the DAC. Now that is completely gone (I've already checked the sine wave generator a dozen times by now).

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #829 of 3,093
I started to but it woud'nt come off and i didn't want to break any thing trying to unplug it. Because of the glue that was on it.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #830 of 3,093
Quote:
I started to but it woud'nt come off and i didn't want to break any thing trying to unplug it. Because of the glue that was on it.

Yeah, you really have to wiggle it consistently and keep the little socket tabs pried out to dislodge the glue in the plug. Took me like 10 mins.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #832 of 3,093
Quote:
Try to plug it back and see if the buzz comes back
smily_headphones1.gif

Not if I don't have to...the socket is really fragile and I don't think it can take a lot of re-plugging before one of those tiny plastic tabs break.

Right now I'm content that it's a fix on the sinewave buzz, and that there may (or may not) be an actual sonic improvement.

Jul 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #835 of 3,093
Jul 26, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #837 of 3,093
Quote:
Not if I don't have to...the socket is really fragile and I don't think it can take a lot of re-plugging before one of those tiny plastic tabs break.

Right now I'm content that it's a fix on the sinewave buzz, and that there may (or may not) be an actual sonic improvement.

Is the sinewave now better through USB than it was through Optical?

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #838 of 3,093
Official response from Kingwa with regards to the optical unplugging modification:

"The both NFB11.32 and NFB15.32, the DA chips have different +5V than the optical input.
Pull off or push into the optical receiver, have not any contact with the +5V PSU of the DA chips.
We have take care the power supply even in the lowest price gears, different PSUs to power supply for different circuits parts.
Kingwa"

Looks like the assumptions were falsified. Still the mod cleared up the sinewave issue I had before so I don't think I'll revert it.

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #839 of 3,093
Quote:
Official response from Kingwa with regards to the optical unplugging modification:

"The both NFB11.32 and NFB15.32, the DA chips have different +5V than the optical input.
Pull off or push into the optical receiver, have not any contact with the +5V PSU of the DA chips.
We have take care the power supply even in the lowest price gears, different PSUs to power supply for different circuits parts.
Kingwa"

Looks like the assumptions were falsified. Still the mod cleared up the sinewave issue I had before so I don't think I'll revert it.

Hi,
Can you interpret what he wrote, so is it safe to pull the 5v optical input or not, is he saying its in a different circuit so won't influence the sound.
Cheers
Steve

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #840 of 3,093
Quote:
Hi,
Can you interpret what he wrote, so is it safe to pull the 5v optical input or not, is he saying its in a different circuit so won't influence the sound.
Cheers
Steve

Yep and yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back