Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
Sep 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #46 of 199
My NFB10SE arrived today. Is there a way to adjust the volume of the fixed level output or gain for it? Need to activate it to use ACSS. Would hope it outputs at the highest level since that would play along best with my C-2.1. Gonna try that tomorrow plus install the dir9001.

Also wonder is there anyone that like the neutrick phono connectors? What is the point securing them? You just risk to destroy your headphones AND amp if you happen to stand on the cable or have animals in the house. It make disconnecting harder as well and I see no benefits? Will it last longer due to being able to clamp harder or what is the idea?

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #47 of 199
I think there are some plugs that don't have the tab but not Neutrik. I have use balanced headphones for a couple of years now and never had an issue, but I wouldn't let my 8 year old touch them for sure. one thing I do is wrap the cable around a post or something so at least one end is protected.
You cannot adjust the volume in fixed mode, that's why it's fixed. Use the variable setting. I don't think gain affects output but I'm not sure.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #48 of 199

[size=x-small]From their website.  I would imagine the Gain feature will still work.    [/size]
[size=x-small]Please note, the ACSS output is only available at fixed level mode. ( The NFB-10SE always working with ACSS technology in every modes, in variable output mode, the ACSS signal just separated between ACSS modules and the ACSS output sockets , so can't degrade on sound quality, just choice what mode you wanting . )

The jumper push into the socket in the red pane as below photo for DAC fixed output. (Before take off the cover board of the chassis, please pull off the power cable)      [/size]
[size=x-small]                                        [/size]

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #49 of 199
Can´t use variable output for ACSS output. Was hoping you could fix the volume at different levels :)

Sep 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #51 of 199
To get the DAC level output the same as my DAC19 and Ref 9. Running fixed now and it appear to be about the same as the Ref9 output.
Took a while to find the small jumpers. Thought it was missing but there was 20 or so coming with the optical cable. So don´t throw that away.  

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #53 of 199
Will see later on about dacs. As it feels now the amp section of the C-2.1 is a bit better but they don´t differ to much in signature.

I really like what I heard but I do expect that it need to deliver in balanced mode to surpass what I already got. I don´t remember the DAC19 or Ref9 change that much with burnin.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #55 of 199
Volume matching with an SPL meter and doing a comparison against the Lyr illustrates how much more revealing the SE really is. Bass extension is comparable, but the lines are less smeared on the SE, resulting in more distinct notes and allowing it to underpin songs, rather than smothering the other instruments. Drums aren't as heavy, but the kick still has body and presence and hits are snappier. Cymbals crash and ring out more realistically. Vocals are isolated better, with subtle air separating it from the mix. Width of soundstage is about the same, but transparency of the SE gives the sense of better depth. The clearer high end also gives the impression of extended soundstage above the head. Despite being more congested though, imaging is a tad better on the Lyr.

I can't wait to hear this thing balanced.

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #56 of 199

I can't wait to hear this thing period.
Quote:
Volume matching with an SPL meter and doing a comparison against the Lyr illustrates how much more revealing the SE really is. Bass extension is comparable, but the lines are less smeared on the SE, resulting in more distinct notes and allowing it to underpin songs, rather than smothering the other instruments. Drums aren't as heavy, but the kick still has body and presence and hits are snappier. Cymbals crash and ring out more realistically. Vocals are isolated better, with subtle air separating it from the mix. Width of soundstage is about the same, but transparency of the SE gives the sense of better depth. The clearer high end also gives the impression of extended soundstage above the head. Despite being more congested though, imaging is a tad better on the Lyr.

I can't wait to hear this thing balanced.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #57 of 199
I hear it 
floatsmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back