Audio-gd NFB-10SE Thread
Sep 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #16 of 199

Quote:
I posed some questions to Kingwa in anticipation of my SE. Here's the Q&A -

Single ended is 25% of balanced mode. Lol.

Thank u very much. I look forward to trying the filter 9. Am I wrong or in the manual u get when u order there is no info about the different kind of filters? Will the filter 9 be better than i.e. filter 5 even when listening to 96khz audio (i.e. blu ray or dvd)?
I also look forward to trying the filter 4 for listening to bright recorded music (very often pop and metal).

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #17 of 199
I think you can try the combo with USB to SPDIF at first, upgrade step by step alway better, because you can't had the best resolve when you still a hifi fans.

Sorry, I was want to input the "without", not "with".

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #18 of 199
If I want to get an HE-5LE and money is pretty tight, is the 10SE worth two to three times the price of the NFB-12?  I'm looking at something with a good built in DAC because I'm coming right out of my sound card. Given, the Auzentech is pretty decent though. (I still haven't got any particular recommendations on a cheaper speaker amp or receiver to plug the 5-LE's into if I were to just spring for those first.)

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #21 of 199
Quote:
If I want to get an HE-5LE and money is pretty tight, is the 10SE worth two to three times the price of the NFB-12?  I'm looking at something with a good built in DAC because I'm coming right out of my sound card. Given, the Auzentech is pretty decent though. (I still haven't got any particular recommendations on a cheaper speaker amp or receiver to plug the 5-LE's into if I were to just spring for those first.)

The NFB-12 won't have enough juice for the 5LEs, so the decision makes itself.  If you go for a vintage receiver, go for a Marantz over a Pioneer, they are warmer.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 199
I don't know if I would agree with the statement of not having enough power, it will do ~2.6W into 38 ohms.  I can't suggest it over the NFB-10SE (~9.5W into 38) but it definitely isn't power shy.  EF-5 is ~1.7W into 38 ohm.

Sep 27, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 199
Well, for what it's worth, I didn't think the EF5 was all that spectacular with the 5LEs either, but given a choice between an NFB-12 and EF5, I'd go with the EF5.  Even power aside, I don't think the 5LEs would pair well with the NFB-12.  I would stick to tubes or hybrids or one of the borderline-dark vintage receivers.  YMMV as I found the tonal balance of the 5LEs required some warming.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 199
Offtopic question, but did you DIY that amplifier rack? Been looking for something similar.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 199
yeah I just slapped it together quickly out of some 1x12" pine.  anyone can do it.  I used a finishing nail gun and some wood glue. I then hit it up with coat of clear polyurethane. I spent maybe $20-30?  If you look towards the back I had to add a cheater piece that I didn't spend 3 min on to extend the back to hold the NFB-10SE.  I have to find something cleaner but for now it works.

I did a comparison quickly vs. my MKVI+, check the second post towards the bottom of it.

Last thing I want to revisit is the Lyr vs. NFB-10SE but cheating a little this time.  Lyr SE vs. NFB-10SE Balanced.  This will be hard since I have to swap cables between my Norse XLR and TRS cables.  I won't be able to A/B as quickly and makes it a little more challenging.  See my reviews at the bottom of the second post.

I think they did a good job with this amp.  If anyone is interested in hearing it in the NJ area let me know.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 199
I don't know if I would agree with the statement of not having enough power, it will do ~2.6W into 38 ohms.  I can't suggest it over the NFB-10SE (~9.5W into 38) but it definitely isn't power shy.  EF-5 is ~1.7W into 38 ohm.

This is ridiculously awesome.

yeah I just slapped it together quickly out of some 1x12" pine.  anyone can do it.  I used a finishing nail gun and some wood glue. I then hit it up with coat of clear polyurethane. I spent maybe $20-30?  If you look towards the back I had to add a cheater piece that I didn't spend 3 min on to extend the back to hold the NFB-10SE.  I have to find something cleaner but for now it works.

I did a comparison quickly vs. my MKVI+, check the second post towards the bottom of it.

Last thing I want to revisit is the Lyr vs. NFB-10SE but cheating a little this time.  Lyr SE vs. NFB-10SE Balanced.  This will be hard since I have to swap cables between my Norse XLR and TRS cables.  I won't be able to A/B as quickly and makes it a little more challenging.  See my reviews at the bottom of the second post.

I think they did a good job with this amp.  If anyone is interested in hearing it in the NJ area let me know.

I think this is going to make a beautiful start back into the higher end of things for me again. If the ordering process wasn't so...tedious...I'd have one in the mail already. :D Unit seems like a bargain at its current price, and with that kind of power it'll hold me over well until that beautiful Phonitor hits my desk.

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #28 of 199
SE in the house. Had to swap out the WM8805 for DIR9001 first. Firing it up now. Stay tuned.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #30 of 199
Yes it displays P, H for headphone.

I popped it open yesterday before comparing it and the lyr the last time to put the fixed output jumper on.  This takes the volume control out of the loop for the DAC output and leaves just the gain control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back