Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #511 of 4,462
Quote:
Thanks SoupRknowva; I used the email you gave me. Now I just hope I get a reply :)

Tom W - I must have been doing something wrong 'cause I didn't get a auto conformation email after sending my message.

I019791 - I dont think the new Mac Mini's come with an optical out any longer, but I could be wrong. I went to the AGD site, but I only see a TE8802 driver V1.0 and a TE8802 driver V1.1 for Mac systems. Should I be looking in a different place?

Thanks again you-all

I don't know about the new mac mini. You can download the V1.2 driver from the Audio-gd Home Page, but it seems it is only for Windows.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #512 of 4,462
Quote:
[size=8pt]Hello all![/size]
[size=8pt]This is my first post here in HF. I currently own a Audio GD DAC (Ref 7.1). I am now going to add a Mac Mini to my system in the next week or so, but my DAC does not have a USB input. I have a DI V2 (I think) that has a USB input SPDIF output. Could I use that DI as the "switchover" so I can still use the Ref7.1? Also would there be any loss in SQ by using the DI?[/size]
[size=8pt]How do you get in touch with Audio GD? I'm in Southern California and I’ve tried several times to email [/size][size=13.5pt]audio-gd@126.com[/size][size=8pt] & [size=13.5pt]audio-gd@vip.163.com[/size], but I never get a response. I am considering replacing my REF 7.1 with the Master 7, but can't get anyone to email me back. [/size]
[size=8pt]Does anyone have a better way of contacting AGD?[/size]

If it was me.  I would keep the Ref. 7.1 - That's a really good DAC.  I would invest in a converter.  Maybe the DI V3 or a different one not by Audio GD.  There's a lot out there.

Jul 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #513 of 4,462
Preproman - If I were to forgo the Master 7 and get a good converter, how about the Offramp 4 (I see one on Audiogon for sale) or an Offramp 5? I do not have HD files/music. I mainly have downloads from iTunes and ripped CD's at 320. I have a pretty above average system, but it's not a mega elite audio system. Folks tell me all of the time I should do lossless, but my collection of music is kinda large and to start all over again...

I may do the DI V3...it's the least expensive way to go. Does anyone know a rough shipping time of a in-stock unit, say to the west coast of the United States from China; my other pieces of AGD equipment came from a US dealer (Pacific Valve)? Not sure why Pacific Valve no longer carries AGD. If anyone knows, please share.

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #516 of 4,462
Heynow, if I was you, I would certainly re-rip my CDs to a lossless format. The files you bought in lossy format is another story. I would probably choose to buy the albums I listen to most in a lossless format too and even check if there is hi-res available.

Spending a considerable amount of money on hardware without audio files in good quality doesn't seem to go hand in hand. The money spent on buying the albums you love most, and perhaps also those you know has a high sound quality, would be very worthwhile in my opinion - especially since you care enough about sound quality to join Head-Fi.

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #518 of 4,462
Preproman - If I were to forgo the Master 7 and get a good converter, how about the Offramp 4 (I see one on Audiogon for sale) or an Offramp 5? I do not have HD files/music. I mainly have downloads from iTunes and ripped CD's at 320. I have a pretty above average system, but it's not a mega elite audio system. Folks tell me all of the time I should do lossless, but my collection of music is kinda large and to start all over again...

I may do the DI V3...it's the least expensive way to go. Does anyone know a rough shipping time of a in-stock unit, say to the west coast of the United States from China; my other pieces of AGD equipment came from a US dealer (Pacific Valve)? Not sure why Pacific Valve no longer carries AGD. If anyone knows, please share.

I had a kind soul re-rip my collection for me. Thank you Prepro :wink: With old recordings, it's worth the time to go lossless. For casual listening, mp3 works but with a pretty good system and listening more engaged, you will notice lossy nasties in the sound. 128k works seldom without imparting digital artifacts into the sound. I notice it most in music with quiet spaces between larger dynamic signals. Also, the reverb is shorter on cymbals and other delicate parts of the recording.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #519 of 4,462
Quote:

I live in the SF Bay area and if the items are shipped DHL you will receive them fast.   About 7-10 days total including stock item burn in and few days waiting at the HK airport to board a plane.  Once on the DHL cargo it is a just matter of days before being delivered.  Just depends on what day of the week you order as Audio GD only does shipments a couple of days each week.

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #520 of 4,462
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the master 7 is capable of playing back dsd/dxd file formats?

Thanks

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #521 of 4,462
Quote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the master 7 is capable of playing back dsd/dxd file formats?

Thanks

Since the DAC chip is a R-2R type I am quite sure it won't play DSD since this is based on single-bit streaming.

Jul 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #522 of 4,462
It is not necessary to have a DSD capable DAC chip to play the DSD files. In many situations, we can playback the DSD through DSD->PCM method and still have excellent SQ. A poor design DSD capable DAC may not sound better than a decent traditional DAC, this is proved.

Jul 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #523 of 4,462
Quote:
It is not necessary to have a DSD capable DAC chip to play the DSD files. In many situations, we can playback the DSD through DSD->PCM method and still have excellent SQ. A poor design DSD capable DAC may not sound better than a decent traditional DAC, this is proved.

Hi,

Thanks for your help with this - so basically it can't playback dsd files natively but you can convert DSD->PCM and it will work?

Also, do you know if there is any plans for Audio GD to release maybe a software/hardware upgrade for the M7 to play DSD?

Failing this, would anyone happen to know if Audio GD plan to create a DAC that does playback DSD?

Regards
Steph

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #524 of 4,462
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help with this - so basically it can't playback dsd files natively but you can convert DSD->PCM and it will work?

Also, do you know if there is any plans for Audio GD to release maybe a software/hardware upgrade for the M7 to play DSD?

Failing this, would anyone happen to know if Audio GD plan to create a DAC that does playback DSD?

Regards
Steph

You can use some DSD player like the free AudioGate from Korg and still have excellent SQ.
As PCM1704 is not a DSD support DAC chip, and Kingwa stated that DSD-PCM sounds better after tested thoroughly in their Chinese forum; I am quite sure that there wouldn't be any DSD native support in all their PCM1704 devices.
This thinking also applied to their Sabre based platform as you may notice no DSD support stated in their specifications.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #525 of 4,462
Great - thanks for clearing that up.
Quote:

You can use some DSD player like the free AudioGate from Korg and still have excellent SQ.
As PCM1704 is not a DSD support DAC chip, and Kingwa stated that DSD-PCM sounds better after tested thoroughly in their Chinese forum; I am quite sure that there wouldn't be any DSD native support in all their PCM1704 devices.
This thinking also applied to their Sabre based platform as you may notice no DSD support stated in their specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back