Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jun 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #481 of 4,451
Quote:

Now the thing I have been noticing with the M-7 is that it is constrained by its outputs. The XLR outputs are supposedly inferior to ACSS outputs (only a bit). I have been shuffling the M-7 and M-1 between their ACSS and XLR output/inputs. I find that the ACSS output has a much better sound to it but the Audio-gd ACSS cable is clear inferior to the Nordost Tyr which I am using for the XLR connection. The TYR brings out a whole lot of details and tonality which the ACSS cable does. And this difference is something like 7 for the ACSS cable and 10 for the TYR. So a huge difference. With the A-Gd ACSS cables the sound is laid back, slightly diffused and loses clarity and tone. But with the TYR's the music comes out very fast, placement is fantastic and music gets PRAT.

What I am wondering is - what happens when I connect the M-7 to M-1 with a really good ACSS cable; something like the DHC cables? How much will it improve on the sound. Even with the Tyr the difference is quite a lot. Drum sound subdued with the ACSS cable while the Tyr gives them the required clarity and all the vibration and the boom boom sound comes out in the open. Sam with the Guitar, same with the Piano!

well I have a user of audio-gd gears for years. I have cd7FV to the NFB7 to C3 and then C1. the speaker is only a Dynaudio Focus 140. Along the years, I tried all kinds of cables and experience like you mention here. I even explore the special made ACSS cable. at the end of day, my experience is stick with the audio-gd basic ACSS cables. you probably want to look at OTHER factor to bring out your sound. if u set it up correctly, u can even hear not only the fingle sliding sound, but the sound of air struck by the hand.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #482 of 4,451
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #483 of 4,451
This doesn't make any sense, as the USB doesn't have the 5V line connected and its power comes from inside the M7. An external 5V supply wont do anything at all.

Interesting, how come still have sound change? Maybe can ask kingwa

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #485 of 4,451
This doesn't make any sense, as the USB doesn't have the 5V line connected and its power comes from inside the M7. An external 5V supply wont do anything at all.

the USB part is power supply by the Master 7 in class A PSU. So extra power wont help. Need to A/B again. Is the extra USB power useful to the Hiface? Anyone know what brand of USB cable have only data portion?

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #486 of 4,451
Quote:

The iUSB also provides galvanic isolation with it's iEarth, or whatever it's called, so that may be the contributing factor in better sound, and not the 5v disconnect. We all know the double blind testing is the answer, but people have reported it makes some things sound better that don't source 5v. I don't know, as I don't have either component, but I have read about the iUSB being used on components that don't source the 5V from the PC, and that has been the guesstimated answer of why it made a difference.

Now lets hope once I reach China I can get one of these on the cheap! I am pretty worried about which of these I'll like though, the Master 7 or the Eximus :-/  I really do want that engaging sound that the DP-1 owners keep talking about, but soundstage is key for me too. Maybe I'll be so lucky as to buy one and be able to demo the other~?? One can hope :)

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #487 of 4,451
Some friends and I AB'd the Eximus against the Ref 7.1 using a 2 channel B22 and the LCD3. The 7.1 was the clear winner. Much more believable tone. Didn't want the Eximus after that. 

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. All IMO of course.

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #488 of 4,451
Thanks! You saved me a lot with that info. I have been thinking of upgrading my Ref 7.1 to Master-7, but bass weight and other reported sonic differences has kept me on the fence. This makes me more certain I won't do the upgrade.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #489 of 4,451
Bass weight is not an issue with the Master 7.  Not it's strength, but far from an issue.  It does not add what's not there and it also does not take away.  IMO it's strength really shows in soundstage, imaging and instrument placement.  And of course being true to the recording.  IMO that's what a good DAC should do.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #490 of 4,451
I will second preproman here. Ive ben listening to the m-7 quite a bit the last few days and i dont see that the bass is lacking in any way. The m7 does not add anything to the bass but what it gives out is extremely well textured and nuanced with layers in each note. And when music has slam, the m7 gives it with such force that you can feel it in your chest. IMHO ofcourse :)

Jun 18, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #491 of 4,451
Quote:
Some friends and I AB'd the Eximus against the Ref 7.1 using a 2 channel B22 and the LCD3. The 7.1 was the clear winner. Much more believable tone. Didn't want the Eximus after that. 

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. All IMO of course.

I clearly preferred the Eximus over the M7, and I owned them both. Different strokes for sure-I wouldn't recommend one over the other without listening first. 2 completely different presentations imo, but on par technically.

-Daniel

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #492 of 4,451
Anyone tried to connect Berkeley Alpha usb to Master 7 via AES input? It is interesting to hear the impressions.
Also think whether it will lead to additional conversions usb-spdif-i2s.
I want to achieve more analog sound by this combination. Maybe someone has similar experience?

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #493 of 4,451
Quote:
Anyone tried to connect Berkeley Alpha usb to Master 7 via AES input? It is interesting to hear the impressions.
Also think whether it will lead to additional conversions usb-spdif-i2s.
I want to achieve more analog sound by this combination. Maybe someone has similar experience?

I haven't tried a Master 7, but I am currently running a Berkeley USB into a Reference 7 via AES.  I've tried numerous ways of feeding the Reference 7 and this is the best sounding combo I've tried.  The slight upper midrange edgyness I've heard feeding it with both a Lynx card and a Halide Bridge is gone, and the Berkeley seems to put forth some additional warmth.  While it seems silly to use a USB to SPDIF convertor that costs as much as the DAC, the combination sounds wonderful.  Unfortunately I can't really say anything relevent about whether it would offer any improvements on the Master 7.

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #494 of 4,451
I am new here.  I'd like to order a Master 7 DAC with I2S input only.  I want to use my Off-Ramp 5 to drive I2S to the Master 7 DAC.  Has any one here used Off-Ramp 5 I2S to drive Master 7 DAC successfully?

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #495 of 4,451
Check preproman's posts in this thread. I remember reading that he was talking about getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back