Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704)
Jul 1, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #496 of 4,462

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm
Here is the connector pinout of Audio-GD i2s interface:
3.3V level .
Pin 1 : SDATA
Pin 3 : LRCK
Pin 5 : SCLK
Pin 7 : MCLK
Pin 2,4,6,8 GND

http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter
And there you can find off-ramp's i2s pinout. By default its 5V, you need order optional 3.3V
Pin 1 - SCLK
Pin 2 - SCLK return
Pin 3 - SDATA
Pin 4 - SDATA return
Pin 5 - L/RCLK
Pin 6 - L/RCLK return
Pin 7 - MCLK
Pin 8 - MCLK return
So they are different. But i think there is an opportunity to order custom-made i2s cable =)
P.S. I'm going to use Sotm tx-usbexp with Berkeley Alpha USB.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #497 of 4,462
Hey brookshire, just write to Audio-gd with your request. I did the same thing , I asked them to configure the RJ45 input so that it matches the Off ramps I2S output. They configured it accordingly and now Iam waiting for the off ramp 6 to come out so i can hook it up with the master 7. Cheers

Jul 1, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #498 of 4,462
Quote:
Hey brookshire, just write to Audio-gd with your request. I did the same thing , I asked them to configure the RJ45 input so that it matches the Off ramps I2S output. They configured it accordingly and now Iam waiting for the off ramp 6 to come out so i can hook it up with the master 7. Cheers

Do you know whether there'll be the compatibility between sotm tx-usbexp & off-ramp 6? Or its again based on M2Tech Hiface v1 interface?

Jul 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #499 of 4,462
Aneep - Sounds like you have Audio-gd made I2S pin compatible for OR5 but have not actually connected them.  I think that pin compatibility is one thing but how well the I2S transmission would work between the two is another.  Because the signal level is only 3.3V CMOS TTL, the impedance compatibility may be also important.  After all, the I2S is a circuit board level transmission protocol. 

So the question remains... Is there anyone who actually used Off-Ramp5 to drive Master 7 DAC on I2S?  Please share your experience.

Thanks!

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #500 of 4,462
Quote:

Ha ha  ha  - Exact same thing here..  
biggrin.gif

Just make sure you have a plan B in case his price gets crazy. 

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #502 of 4,462
Sooo many people have issues with sotm usb card drivers, at least last time I checked on CA forums.

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #504 of 4,462
Quote:
I'm on CA as well.  I'll look into it.  I haven't seen many issues thou.

I'm also on CA, but the area where the driver issues come up is the incompatibility with the HiFace chipset. So anyone who outsources that part, and a lot of companies do, have a problem. But that was only for V1 HiFaces, the new HiFace chipset handshakes ok, but they're also not in their hay-day anymore, so not as many companies are using it. In the end, look for "uses HiFace USB->I2s conversion", if the DAC/USB->_____ says that, then it won't work with the SOtM USB boards. 

Beyond that I haven't really heard of SOtM issues. I don't have the card yet myself, but it's definitely on my 'to-buy' list. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #505 of 4,462
[size=8pt]Hello all![/size]
[size=8pt]This is my first post here in HF. I currently own a Audio GD DAC (Ref 7.1). I am now going to add a Mac Mini to my system in the next week or so, but my DAC does not have a USB input. I have a DI V2 (I think) that has a USB input SPDIF output. Could I use that DI as the "switchover" so I can still use the Ref7.1? Also would there be any loss in SQ by using the DI?[/size]
[size=8pt]How do you get in touch with Audio GD? I'm in Southern California and I’ve tried several times to email [/size][size=13.5pt]audio-gd@126.com[/size][size=8pt] & [size=13.5pt]audio-gd@vip.163.com[/size], but I never get a response. I am considering replacing my REF 7.1 with the Master 7, but can't get anyone to email me back. [/size]
[size=8pt]Does anyone have a better way of contacting AGD?[/size]

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #506 of 4,462
Quote:
[size=8pt]This is my first post here in HF. I currently own a Audio GD DAC (Ref 7.1). I am now going to add a Mac Mini to my system in the next week or so, but my DAC does not have a USB input. I have a DI V2 (I think) that has a USB input SPDIF output. Could I use that DI as the "switchover" so I can still use the Ref7.1? Also would there be any loss in SQ by using the DI?[/size]
[size=8pt]How do you get in touch with Audio GD? I'm in Southern California and I’ve tried several times to email [/size][size=13.5pt]audio-gd@126.com[/size][size=8pt] & [size=13.5pt]audio-gd@vip.163.com[/size], but I never get a response. I am considering replacing my REF 7.1 with the Master 7, but can't get anyone to email me back. [/size]

Hmm, thats weird, I've never had them not repsond. Maybe its a holiday or something? you could try kingwa's email as well king-wa@hotmail.com

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #507 of 4,462
Quote:

You should get an automatic confirmation email ("Thank you for contacting Audio GD....") within a minute or two of emailing them.

If you're not getting the automatic reply then most likely they didn't get your email for one reason or another.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #508 of 4,462
Quote:

You can use the DI-V2 if you download and install the TE8802 driver V1.2 from the Audio-gd site
You can then compare the SQ to the optical output from the Mac Mini or any other spdif output you may have

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #509 of 4,462
If you want to upgrade from Ref 7.1 to Master 7, then you may consider just buying an upgrade kit from Audio-gd. This will of course imply some DIY work, but - as far as I have read in earlier posts in this thread - not a difficult job.

I have the Ref 7.1 myself and asked Kingwa about it and got a price, but so far I haven't jumped for it.

Jul 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #510 of 4,462
Thanks SoupRknowva; I used the email you gave me. Now I just hope I get a reply :)

Tom W - I must have been doing something wrong 'cause I didn't get a auto conformation email after sending my message.

I019791 - I dont think the new Mac Mini's come with an optical out any longer, but I could be wrong. I went to the AGD site, but I only see a TE8802 driver V1.0 and a TE8802 driver V1.1 for Mac systems. Should I be looking in a different place?

Thanks again you-all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back